F-35 Approach AOA

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by archeman » 17 Dec 2012, 05:05

So just mentally expanding on a previous posters comment about using non-ferrous materials to build the fuel tanks (which in theory, allows you to use the most aerodynamically efficient form) it brings up the follow-up Question 1: What is the radar reflectivity of kerosene? It seems to me that it would probably be transparent also but, could be wrong about that.

Question 2: Don't the drop tanks also include internal baffles to reduce fuel sloshing about, multiple internal fuel pickup tubes, fill ports with caps, connecting parts and such? It could prove challenging to get all those pieces radar transparent. How about fuel booster pumps? Are those tucked inside the tanks to push it out, or is the fuel sucked out?
If they do have pumps those would also have to be surrounded by radar absorbent or properly angled reflective materials.

I assume this must have been measured before because all our current and past fleets of stealth aircraft can and do on occasion dump their fuel for some reason. If dumping fuel was a signature problem then I suppose we wouldn't have heard about it but it may be public information.

Please no "Use Unleaded" jokes - thanks :)
Daddy why do we have to hide? Because we use VI son, and they use windows.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 17 Dec 2012, 05:52

Can you do me a favour and take the discussion to the recent fuel tank posting please? Thanks. Yes threads go off topic but I think this one is clearly not about the external tanks as such - whereas the recent thread is. The details are:

F-35 External fuel tanks? 16 Dec 2012

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopi ... af2d3.html

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 31 Dec 2012, 13:50

F-35 Freeware version released! 30 Dec 2012

LOCKHEED MARTIN F-35 LIGHTNING II Platform: FSX:A and Prepar3d Latest version: 2.10
Released on: December 31st 2012 DOWNLOAD from Google Drive:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1VJtK ... 0NWT056eE0 (210Mb ZIP file)

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com.au/20 ... eased.html

"I have changed my plans and released the freeware F-35 before the F-14D... The reason is that the F-14D Beta need more work than I though to make it a more meaningful release, and, well, I am not in the right mood to go through the tedious process of writing the missing code right now.
On the other hand, I've made several minor updates to the F-35, and I prefer to release it now. So here we go.

Version 2.10 – FREEWARE RELEASE December 30th 2012 – CHANGES FROM PREVIOUS VERSION:
Minor changes to .air files, less drag at transonic and supersonic speeds (to bring behavior closer to lates official claims)
Slightly reduced A/B thrust for B version (as in the real thing, B version has a different nozzle design)
Removed MFD and wide cockpit screens, unused by most users
Solved autothrottle bug (unable to engage A/T due to missing A/T arm flag in aircraft.cfg)
Fixed event firing bug in HMD code
Added specific inner bay doors animation to F-35B (inner doors open while hovering to improve lift, as in the real thing)
Fixed pilot animations in F-35B model
Added miscellaneous external views
Fixed pan rate for external views
Added custom sound package, courtesy of Serge Luzin
Changed hovering mode weight limit to 40600lbs (was 42000) according to the latest official data
Removed .exe installer, now manual installation is required

NOTE: FROM THIS RELEASE (2.10) ONWARDS THE LICENCE IS CHANGED TO FREEWARE:USAGE IS FREE, AND YOU ARE NOW FREE TO COPY THIS SOFTWARE, HOWEVER ANY MODIFICATION OR ALTERATION OF THE FILES IS STILL PROHIBITED."

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by thegroundeffect » 31 Dec 2012, 15:52

Maby A bit off-topic, but does any of the JSF models hava a trimangle for the wings? Is that common in fighters anyway?

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 03 May 2013, 03:57

FSX F-35 by Dino Review at FlightSim.com (see first comment by Dino) Remember FOLK this is FREEware.... :D

Review: F-35 Lightning II 02 May 2013 By Dylan Brown

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.p ... -II/view/1

http://www.flightsim.com/images/reviews ... 11-729.jpg
Attachments
2013-1-28_11-4-11-729.jpg

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 03 May 2013, 07:27

thegroundeffect wrote:Maby A bit off-topic, but does any of the JSF models hava a trimangle for the wings? Is that common in fighters anyway?

I thing you meant trimangle = trapezoidal wing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trapezoidal_wing

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by maus92 » 03 May 2013, 21:23

archeman wrote:Question 1: What is the radar reflectivity of kerosene? It seems to me that it would probably be transparent also but, could be wrong about that.

Water in liquid and solid form reflects radar energy, so I'd bet that kerosene does as well.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by thebigfish » 06 May 2013, 03:49

I believe the properties of liquids namely the di-electrcic constant determines how well a return signal is obtained. Kerosene is around the 0.8 mark and water is a least an order of mangitude above that. So water is easy seen but not so sure about kerosene if the radar transitter is not tuned to it. This from my little experience in dealings I have with radar level transmitters in the refining and chemical industry, they are starting to use in greater numbers. Kerosene level can be seen but only becuase the te radar is tuned. (i think)

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 07 May 2013, 00:27

It is probably related to Mie and Rayleigh scattering. The Rayleigh scattering cross section is proportional to [(n^2-1)/(n^2+2)]^2 where n is the index of refraction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mie_scattering
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 07 May 2013, 01:12

This info has nothing whatsoever to do with F-35C Approach AoA, as requested earlier take a new thread for this discusion about fuel scattering radar beams OR go here as requested earlier. Thanks.

F-35 External fuel tanks? 16 Dec 2012

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopi ... af2d3.html

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 10 Jun 2013, 10:20

F-35 Version 2.20 limited introduction 10 Jun 2013 Dino Cattaneo
"Finally I am uploading the much awaited (and time consuming!) F-35 upgrade to version 2.20. For the moment it will uploaded only to Google Drive - just to check if there are no catastrophic issues before uploading to the usual repositories.

IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU UNISTALL AND/OR DELETE FILES FROM PREVIOUS VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING VERSION 2.20.

Version 2.20- June 9th 2013..."

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com.au/20 ... ction.html

DOWNLOAD URL (FREE): https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1VJtKJ ... sp=sharing

F35v220.zip 139 Mb

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 26 Jun 2013, 08:58

A way to learn how to carrier land without going to the carrier first is by FCLP. Here is a great freeware program with a virtual LSO who will grade your FCLP approaches in the same way this same program will grade your carrier approaches. What could be better than that? NO LSO! :D

NALF Fentress + vLSO 0.7.1.0 25 Jun 2013 FOR FSX Accelerator ONLY with any carrier capable aircraft including F-35C (freeware)
"Ok, guys
Now you can download and test another vLSO version with my first photorealistic Fentress scenery. This new version supports multiple FCLP runways, and there are two working FCLP runways at Fentress. Also, starting from this scenery all my FCLP sceneries will have unidirectional carrier deck lighting, as in real life. Enjoy and feel free to give your feedback!"

http://vlso.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/...vlso-0710.html

Download: 'vLSO beta 0.7.1.0 (full) (June 26, 2013)' https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3pF...it?usp=sharing (.zip 6.1Mb)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 28 Oct 2014, 00:58

The F-35 in Prepar3D v 2.3 is made by Dino Cattaneo.
New Prepar3D v2 Software for Exciting, Immersive Learning
Published on Oct 27, 2014 LockheedMartinVideos

"Lockheed Martin unveiled the newest version of Prepar3D® simulation software, with exciting new rendering, virtual instruction, scenario generation features as well as virtual F-35 and F-22 aircraft...."

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 18 Aug 2017, 13:33

A few threads mention Prepar3D and the freeware (now part of) Version 4 now 64bit Prepar3D. The 4 page PDF attached explains it and I'll gather the graphic is a screengrab from the new Version 4 of Prepar3D 64bits (and about time too). :roll:
Prepar3D Version 4
Sep/Oct 2017 PC Pilot No.111

"Ever since Lockheed Martin took its first steps into the simulation market in 2010, Prepar3D has improved at a steady pace. In version 2 the graphics engine was upgraded from DirectX 9 to DirectX 11, introducing HDR lighting and volumetric fog. The following version added avatar mode along with new aircraft such as the F-35 and the UH-60 Black Hawk, while on the technical side, SLI support was implemented. When Prepar3D Version 4 went on sale in May this year, it marked a major milestone in the product’s history. Not only does it introduce new features such as dynamic lighting, improved autogen and new weather effects, its 64-bit architecture promises to advance Prepar3D to the next level....

...Aircraft
Another outstanding feature is the quality of the default aircraft. Rather than having a fleet entirely developed by Lockheed Martin, it has a good mix of aircraft made by third-party developers. The general aviation fleet features the Extra 300 from Alabeo, the A36 Bonanza from Carenado, Mooney Acclaim from Lionheart Creations and the Piper Cub from Lockheed Martin. In keeping with Lockheed Martin’s military side, the F-35A Lightning II from India Alpha Foxtrot along with the F-22 from IRIS have been carried over from the previous version, while the rotorcraft fleet is supported by the R22 and the Virtavia Sikorsky MH-60/S-70 Black Hawk. The Ohio Class submarine and a Neptune SRM submersible are still included for those among us who seek a life below the waves.

We also have some new arrivals such as the Fury 1500 UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) and the star of the show for me is the F-16, which includes the A, AM and C variants. Developed by Lockheed Martin, it is a detailed example with a fully functional virtual cockpit and systems...."

Source: PC Pilot Magazine, September/October 2017, No.111
Attachments
Prepar3D V4 Review PC_Pilot SepOct 2017 4pp.pdf
(827.31 KiB) Downloaded 3526 times
PrePar3Dv4F-35A.jpg

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Gums » 20 Aug 2017, 18:42

Salute!

Back to original question......

Look at HUD when on the approach.

Difference between the zero reference symbol, the "w" thingie, and the flight path marker.

Voila!!! Dat's your AoA.

Gums sends.....
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

PreviousNext