F-35 Unofficial nickname

Discuss the F-35 Lightning II
  • Author

one-oh-four

Unread post09 Jun 2016, 11:29

On a differnt note: I find the F-16 much sleeker looking AND because of being the winner for the LWF design back in the day it seems to be more agile. The F-35 Always makes me think of some sort of BIG MOMMA. An aircraft of considerable girth (compared to the F-16), packing a heavy punch: "Don't talk back to Momma or she'll whup your a$$!"

Or to keep the animal theme; next to the Rhino we may see the HIPPO: looking rather volumous, the beast runs far faster than you'd think and is highly dangerous. In fact; more people are killed every year in Africa by Hippos than by lions (or Rhinos, for that matter ;) )

Cheers,
Erik.

popcorn

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post10 Aug 2016, 06:24

Michael Phelps
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post01 Sep 2016, 16:00

Supernatural
"There I was. . ."

steve2267

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post01 Sep 2016, 17:26

I'm sure the pilot community will choose the name they like the best. The Navy guys apparently like Reaper.

Here are my musings, fwiw.

Gums got me thinking with his Stubby. While I have the utmost respect for Gums, I really dislike that name. Too negative / ugly, imo. But, it got me thinking:
  • wedge
  • sledge
  • hammer (too plain, me thinks)
  • shard

Along the ethereal / supernatural line:
  • ghost (the pilots could call themselves ghostriders :) )
  • reaper (what the Navy boys want. While I think Reaper works, I also think it is too evil sounding.)
  • phantom (it is more of a phantom than the F-4 ever was. But I think phantom will always be the F-4.)

Re-using names once given to another aircraft:
  • thunderbolt
  • fury
  • gryphon (one of my favorites)

Plays on words / ideas:

• bolt (as in bolt of lighting if you think the plane is uber cooool; a six sided hunk metal if you think it is ugly.)
  • volt (play on bolt, but reflecting its unprecedented use of computing power in a fighter a/c and associated electrical requirements)
  • ijet or iplane (Just as Steve Jobs revolutionized the cellphone market by creating a new platform, so too the f-35 revolutionizes the A-A world by creating a new A-A platform as well. Wasn't the Viper also known as the electric jet once? So Ijet then?)

But no, as I sit here pondering something so unimportant as a plane's nickname... even though from certain angles the F-35 looks stubby, from more angles I think it's angular lines remind me more of a triangular wedge or shard...

No...whereas the F-16 was the Viper...

The F-35 should be known as the

Xwing

Besides... it's gonna get the first laser in ten years!
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

sferrin

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post01 Sep 2016, 18:10

I always thought "Viper" came from the fact that Battlestar Galactica (it's first run) was popular when the F-16 entered service, and it had the computer displays, big engine/small-ish airframe". You'd always see Apollo or Starbuck punching the "afterburners". Gums would be able to tell us if "Viper" came from the snake or the shown.
"There I was. . ."

magitsu

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post01 Sep 2016, 18:44

steve2267 wrote:[*] gryphon (one of my favorites)

No way, it's the same as Gripen. If it was just some old US plane it would be ok.

dirtcatcher

Unread post01 Sep 2016, 18:59

steve2267 wrote:
No...whereas the F-16 was the Viper...

The F-35 should be known as the

Xwing

Besides... it's gonna get the first laser in ten years!

Since the F-35 is intended to be the F-16's successor into the new millennium, could it be called the...... Millennium Falcon? :doh: :doh: :doh:

I'm sure this must have been suggested already.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post01 Sep 2016, 22:07

sferrin wrote:I always thought "Viper" came from the fact that Battlestar Galactica (it's first run) was popular when the F-16 entered service, and it had the computer displays, big engine/small-ish airframe". You'd always see Apollo or Starbuck punching the "afterburners". Gums would be able to tell us if "Viper" came from the snake or the shown.

AFAIK you are right, and the Eagle was called Battlestar Galactica due to it's immense size.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

count_to_10

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post01 Sep 2016, 22:14

Actually, "hammer" might not end up being inappropriate, given that "when all you have is a hammer..." is looking to be a fairly apt description of what the Air Force is going to look like a few decades from now.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post02 Sep 2016, 04:09

count_to_10 wrote:a fairly apt description of what the Air Force is going to look like a few decades from now.

Like the Navy has looked for the last decade? There are carriers where the only jets are Hornets. Fleet Defense, Interdiction, Deep Strike, EW, Tanking, all Hornets
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

uclass

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post03 Sep 2016, 14:32

magitsu wrote:
steve2267 wrote:[*] gryphon (one of my favorites)

No way, it's the same as Gripen. If it was just some old US plane it would be ok.

It was taken by the BGM-109G anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGM-109G_ ... se_Missile

endre

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post21 Sep 2016, 07:31

Dolby tells me that his personal favorite is "the Beast" or just "Beast." Why? Because one of the most common phrases heard during post-mission debreifs at Luke is "it's just a beast!" Performance wise, in capabilities - it just feels like it is a beast compared to everything else they have ever flown.
Public Affairs, Norwegian F-35 Program Office

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post21 Sep 2016, 07:41

:mrgreen: And the clowns who cannot spell LIGHTNING will also misspell 'BEAST' as BEST and then I will just LOOSE it :doh: instead of just LOSE IT! :devil:
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

SpudmanWP

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

Unread post21 Sep 2016, 16:18

spazsinbad wrote::mrgreen: And the clowns who cannot spell LIGHTNING will also misspell 'BEAST' as BEST and then I will just LOOSE it :doh: instead of just LOSE IT! :devil:

Or add an "r" :roll:
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post21 Sep 2016, 17:01

A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber
PreviousNext

Return to General F-35 Forum