Forum Veteran

Unread post11 Aug 2019, 22:49

Have F110, Block 70, will travel

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post23 May 2020, 03:44

Japan has installed Auto-GCAS on its F-35A fleet [original article in Japanese of some kind]
23 May 2020 ALERT5

"Japan has installed the automatic ground collision avoidance system (Auto GCAS) on its F-35A following a fatal crash last year. All 17 aircraft at Misawa Air Base had the system installed since the end of last year. Four more F-35As are expected to arrive at the base later, these will come equipped with Auto-GCAS.

A Japan Air Self-Defense Force F-35A pilot was killed when the jet crashed on Apr. 9, 2019. Investigators determined that he had become disoriented."

Source: http://alert5.com/2020/05/23/japan-has- ... more-81947
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

spazsinbad

Elite 5K

Elite 5K

• Warnings: -2

Unread post22 Aug 2020, 14:36

Ground Collision Avoidance Tech May Have Saved Another [F-16] Pilot's Life
21 Aug 2020 Oriana Pawlyk Oriana Pawlyk

"...Last year, units at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, and Hill Air Force Base, Utah, began installing Auto-GCAS on the F-35A variant -- seven years ahead of schedule. The stealth jet test flights with the system began at Edwards Air Force Base, California, in 2018.

There have not been any F-35A saves to date, Wright said.

"Ninety-two percent of U.S. Air Force and Air National Guard F-35As have loaded Auto-GCAS capable software as of July 28," he added.

"The remaining F-35As -- minus two flight test aircraft -- will receive the capability by the end of the year," he said, explaining that those two aircraft are not equipped with Auto-GCAS-capable computers for the installation."

Source: https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... -life.html
A4G Skyhawk: www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/ & www.youtube.com/channel/UCwqC_s6gcCVvG7NOge3qfAQ/videos?view_as=subscriber

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post24 Aug 2020, 16:41

So happy to see this, hoping it saves some lives. I know it already has on the F-16..

Am I correct insofar as most civilian airliners have a similar system? I should hope so, but maybe not if this technology is new to the military. I watch too many plane crash accident investigations, LOL.

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post24 Aug 2020, 17:24

The civvie airliner terrain avoidance systems, TAWS (terrain avoidance warning system) and EGPWS (enhanced ground proximity warning system) as well as TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system) are all passive and require the pilot to respond to the audio and visual warning or steering cues.

Airliners have had some active systems for other purposes, i.e. stick pushers, MD-90 anti-stall gizmos, Airbus limiters, etc., the latest being the notorious anti-stall speed trim function on the MAX. :shock:

(edit: I don't think you'll ever be short of plane crash accident investigations to watch.)

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post24 Aug 2020, 17:32

outlaw162 wrote: the latest being the notorious anti-stall speed trim function on the MAX. :shock:

Don't get me started on that abomination. The system implemented was not the system that was documented and neither of them were the system that was sent through a safety review. This system was a self contained "Tenerife" level accident waiting to happen. Half a dozen things wrong, any one of them being right prevents the disaster.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

mixelflick

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post26 Aug 2020, 15:58

outlaw162 wrote:The civvie airliner terrain avoidance systems, TAWS (terrain avoidance warning system) and EGPWS (enhanced ground proximity warning system) as well as TCAS (traffic collision avoidance system) are all passive and require the pilot to respond to the audio and visual warning or steering cues.

Airliners have had some active systems for other purposes, i.e. stick pushers, MD-90 anti-stall gizmos, Airbus limiters, etc., the latest being the notorious anti-stall speed trim function on the MAX. :shock:

(edit: I don't think you'll ever be short of plane crash accident investigations to watch.)

Yeah, that occurred to me the other day. There's certainly no shortage of material there, but I find them fascinating. Anyway, this system.... wish it was on F-15's too. If it had been, we probably wouldn't have lost "Moose" from Barnes ANG in Westfield, MA years ago. By all accounts, a well above average pilot flying one of the units best jets down south for a radar fix/upgrade. Whatever happened, it happened fast. He hit the ground in an inverted supersonic dive, no attempt made at ejection.

Curiously enough though, the investigation classified the cause of the crash as "undetermined", or some such term. Very few result in that finding that I've seen, anyway...
Previous

Return to General F-35 Forum