CCIP Bombing System/Procedure

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures

by Cylon » 14 Apr 2004, 03:44

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T THEY PUT THE A-7 MOVING MAP IN THE VIPER?!!?!

Gums, I think that was one of the biggest mistake they made when they decided to "cut" some cash out of the Viper program early on.... and now we're finally figuring that "hey, it really makes the job easier... more accurate, quicker..."

Cylon

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Frodo » 15 Apr 2004, 09:30

Gums,

It's true, the airmass is moving and the plane is in the same airmass. So air-to-air symbology doesn't need to be corrected fot wind since target and shooter are in the same moving airmass. The result is the same as in a non-moving mass. But in air-to-ground the bomb and the airplane are moving in their airmass but the target isn't! So when the symbology wouldn't take it in to acount the bomb would be off (even when it isn't a lot). In order to make the airplane 'tracking' as you mentioned the symbology needs to be wind corrected so the pilot is following his tracking solution (the wind-corrected solution).

The air-mass moving isn't the same at all altitudes as well, the air mass 1000ft lower is slightly different in his 'moving' path. The aircraft isn't in that same airmass but the bomb has to fall thru it. If a system is that good that it takes rotation of earth under the bomb during its time-of-flight in to account it would be stupid to leave these variables out of the solution.

When I was doing my training on alpha-jet we had a system taking the wind into account but not the changing winds at altitude. Guess what, when the wind was strong we always had the same mis-distance and direction, just because with stronger winds the induced error of wind in altitude is bigger. Sorry to disagree but I think wind correction are important...

Greetz

Previous