MPO check after start

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 18:12

Unread post03 May 2020, 12:52

In the Dash 1 manual (from the Greek air force) that's available online the MPO check is done after start, after the DBU and trim checks. However looking at some youtube videos of the USAF startups I don't see this check being done. Is that because it isn't done in the USAF or is it because it happens so quickly that I'm missing it?
Offline

tjodalv43

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: 21 Sep 2005, 20:23
  • Location: Texas

Unread post03 May 2020, 14:53

You’re just missing it. Everyone has to do the MPO check. Though you saying “ after start” makes it seem like you're under the impression it happens as soon he engine light extinguishes. I mean, it ain’t gonna happen before start! Depending on the day, it could be several minutes after going Start 2, especially if you’re having to work other issues before getting to the FLCS BIT and then flight control checks.
Offline

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 18:12

Unread post03 May 2020, 15:16

Ok, thanks. Of course I don't expect the MPO check to be done straight after start, that's why I said in my post "after the DBU and trim checks".

Looking at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIV6c3ra9eI&t=522s

Here is what I'm seeing, I could be totally wrong by the way:

1) start up
2) 2:50ish , SEC check
3) EPU pins get pulled, EPU check
4) Speed brake cycle
5) movement of flight controls to get any air out the system
6) 4:35 FLCS BIT test
7) 5:15 flight control check with possibly a MPO test?
8 ) 5:25 DBU flight control check
9) 5:40 brake system check

I didn't see the MPO or the trim check? Maybe they perform the after start checks slightly differently in the Demo team?
Offline

MVSGas

Active Member

Active Member

  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 09:12

Unread post03 May 2020, 22:58


At1:43 FLCS bit is still going on
2:04 Trim check
2:14 flight control check with MPO at 2:16
DBU at 2:20
Offline

tjodalv43

Senior member

Senior member

  • Posts: 272
  • Joined: 21 Sep 2005, 20:23
  • Location: Texas

Unread post03 May 2020, 23:31

boggy123 wrote:Ok, thanks. Of course I don't expect the MPO check to be done straight after start, that's why I said in my post "after the DBU and trim checks".

Looking at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIV6c3ra9eI&t=522s

Here is what I'm seeing, I could be totally wrong by the way:

1) start up
2) 2:50ish , SEC check
3) EPU pins get pulled, EPU check
4) Speed brake cycle
5) movement of flight controls to get any air out the system
6) 4:35 FLCS BIT test
7) 5:15 flight control check with possibly a MPO test?
8 ) 5:25 DBU flight control check
9) 5:40 brake system check

I didn't see the MPO or the trim check? Maybe they perform the after start checks slightly differently in the Demo team?


MPO check was right when you thought you saw it. But if you’re looking for normal ops, I wouldn’t use videos of any demo team. Plentiful though they are on YouTube, demo teams often have augmented/abbreviated checks that only they are authorized to do or they’re in an unusual order. Flight control checks take normally at least twice as long as what you just watched, partly because you’re talking to the crew chief during them and not using hand signals.
Offline

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 18:12

Unread post04 May 2020, 08:50

MVSGas wrote:
At1:43 FLCS bit is still going on
2:04 Trim check
2:14 flight control check with MPO at 2:16
DBU at 2:20


thanks for that video! Nice perspective to see what those checks look like.

I was surprised how benign the MPO check looks. I expected the elevator to move more than that. Same with the trim, it looks more like the FLCS bit test is still doing some little movements of the flight controls.
Offline

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

  • Posts: 30
  • Joined: 25 Mar 2020, 18:12

Unread post04 May 2020, 09:15

tjodalv43 wrote:
boggy123 wrote:Ok, thanks. Of course I don't expect the MPO check to be done straight after start, that's why I said in my post "after the DBU and trim checks".

Looking at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIV6c3ra9eI&t=522s

Here is what I'm seeing, I could be totally wrong by the way:

1) start up
2) 2:50ish , SEC check
3) EPU pins get pulled, EPU check
4) Speed brake cycle
5) movement of flight controls to get any air out the system
6) 4:35 FLCS BIT test
7) 5:15 flight control check with possibly a MPO test?
8 ) 5:25 DBU flight control check
9) 5:40 brake system check

I didn't see the MPO or the trim check? Maybe they perform the after start checks slightly differently in the Demo team?


MPO check was right when you thought you saw it. But if you’re looking for normal ops, I wouldn’t use videos of any demo team. Plentiful though they are on YouTube, demo teams often have augmented/abbreviated checks that only they are authorized to do or they’re in an unusual order. Flight control checks take normally at least twice as long as what you just watched, partly because you’re talking to the crew chief during them and not using hand signals.



A good point, I was wondering if the demo team had a slightly different version of the after start checks compared to USAF standard. So normally would the whole start procedure from first panel scan to taxi take about 15-20 mins? I assume if you are carrying ordnance and do the ground weapons system check and the ground fence check it will take a few minutes longer.

Also, I read in the DASH 1 that after start you check:

19. Avionics-Program as required and verify (manual or data transfer cartridge:
SMS : Load up the ordnance? Selective jettison? but isn't the ordnance loaded automatically into the SMS with the data cartridge?
Communications. I assume frequency presets, IFF data etc?
Steerpoints. not sure what you would check here? perhaps altitudes and making sure its set to automatic sequence?
Profile data (including bingo fuel). Would this include CARA & MSL floor?
MFD master mode this one I understand, I think

How much programming really takes place here as opposed to just double checking that the data from the cartridge is correct?

Return to F-16 Procedures

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests