Baseline intercept

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by boggy123 » 16 Apr 2020, 10:11

Hi guys,

I am trying to understand the basics of a baseline intercept with a stern conversion on a non-maneuvering target.

I understand the initial part where you check the aspect angle , maneuver to create the lateral displacement/separation and then at a certain point you turn in to the target to arrive right behind it at a certain distance.

The bit that I don't understand, and perhaps I am over thinking it, is how do you decide how much lateral separation you want/need?

I saw that F18 trainees train for 40k feet of separation. I couldn't find any specific figure for the F16. Surely this is based on turn radius? which in turn is based on speed, bank angle and the Gs you pull during the turn. Do you want more lateral separation if your TAS is greater or do you use 1 figure that works for most cases?

The 2nd bit I struggle with is how do you decide when to turn in and at what bank angle and Gs to pull?

I found a guideline that says start the turn when the aspect angle is 120 degr or target distance is 6-8 nm (no closer than 5 nm). When you start the turn maintain pure pursuit and with 90 degr left to turn you should have the target at a distance of around 3-4 nm.

Is it a case of just put the target on the nose and bank + pull as necessary? or is the turn to be flown with a certain speed/bank angle/G?

Shouldn't this distance vary with a different closure rate?

by mack97 » 16 Dec 2023, 10:48

This involves the calculation of lateral displacement.

Lateral displacement (LD) = planned turn diameter
LD = TA * SR * 100, where TA: target aspect (high aspect: 17R is 10 degrees), SR (slant range in nm) (unit: feet)

For example, if your plane speed is 350 KCAS, altitude is 20,000 feet, and you want to turn towards the target with a bank angle of 60 degrees, the turn diameter is approximately 21,000 feet, which is LD. If the target aspect is 10 degrees, your slant range, at which you turn towards the target, is around 21 nm.

Please refer to the YouTube link for baseline intercepts for high aspect targets:

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 22 Dec 2023, 23:01

Thank you mack97 for replying to this unanswered post.!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by sluff775 » 26 Dec 2023, 03:57

Of a related nature, As I understand it, SOP for intercepting / Identifying unknown targets is lead aircraft flys along the port side of the unknown aircraft while the wingman covers from the 6 o'clock. Why then are the spotlights on the ADF versions (and Danish/ Norwegian ) mounted on the port side ? Seems to me it should be to starboard. Manual concerning Interception of Civil Aircraft governed by ICAO. " 4.1.2.1 The following method is recommended for the manoeuvring of intercepting aircraft for the purpose of visually identifying a civil aircraft:

Phase I
The intercepting aircraft should approach the intercepted aircraft from astern. The element leader, or the single intercepting aircraft, should normally take up a position on the left (port) side, slightly above and ahead of the intercepted aircraft, within the field of view of the pilot of the intercepted aircraft, and initially not closer to the aircraft than 300 metres. Any other participating aircraft should stay well clear of the intercepted aircraft, preferably above and behind. After speed and position have been established, the aircraft should, if necessary, proceed with Phase II of the procedure."
2j6BO.png