Baseline intercept

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
  • Author

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post16 Apr 2020, 10:11

Hi guys,

I am trying to understand the basics of a baseline intercept with a stern conversion on a non-maneuvering target.

I understand the initial part where you check the aspect angle , maneuver to create the lateral displacement/separation and then at a certain point you turn in to the target to arrive right behind it at a certain distance.

The bit that I don't understand, and perhaps I am over thinking it, is how do you decide how much lateral separation you want/need?

I saw that F18 trainees train for 40k feet of separation. I couldn't find any specific figure for the F16. Surely this is based on turn radius? which in turn is based on speed, bank angle and the Gs you pull during the turn. Do you want more lateral separation if your TAS is greater or do you use 1 figure that works for most cases?

The 2nd bit I struggle with is how do you decide when to turn in and at what bank angle and Gs to pull?

I found a guideline that says start the turn when the aspect angle is 120 degr or target distance is 6-8 nm (no closer than 5 nm). When you start the turn maintain pure pursuit and with 90 degr left to turn you should have the target at a distance of around 3-4 nm.

Is it a case of just put the target on the nose and bank + pull as necessary? or is the turn to be flown with a certain speed/bank angle/G?

Shouldn't this distance vary with a different closure rate?

Return to F-16 Procedures