Are VIper drivers good at writing with their left hand?

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by boggy123 » 30 Mar 2020, 07:09

Just wondering...do Viper drivers have Jedi skills when it comes to writing with their left hand?

With the sidestick being on the right side, when it comes to writing things down on your kneeboard, do you write with your left hand or can you let go of the stick and write with your right?

I'm sure you're not writing "War and Peace" but surely some notes on the Mission Data Card?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by outlaw162 » 30 Mar 2020, 19:39

The left-handed ones are.

I always felt more comfortable in the right seat of the A330 also. :D

by jbgator » 30 Mar 2020, 23:30

With Outlaw, except I never flew an A330 or any other large multi engine airplane (unless you count the F-4 which I probably should, it's large, it's multi engine, multi seat, but at least it has only one tail. My definition of a fighter is the rule of ones. One seat, one motor, one tail).

If you need to write, it isn't an urgent stage of flight. I'm right handed, always wrote on my right knee with my right hand. Can't do very well with my left hand.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by boggy123 » 31 Mar 2020, 08:27

outlaw162 wrote:

The left-handed ones are.

I always felt more comfortable in the right seat of the A330 also. :D

:D haha! I knew that was coming

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by boggy123 » 31 Mar 2020, 08:29

jbgator wrote:With Outlaw, except I never flew an A330 or any other large multi engine airplane (unless you count the F-4 which I probably should, it's large, it's multi engine, multi seat, but at least it has only one tail. My definition of a fighter is the rule of ones. One seat, one motor, one tail).

If you need to write, it isn't an urgent stage of flight. I'm right handed, always wrote on my right knee with my right hand. Can't do very well with my left hand.

Cool! Thanks, figured that would be the case.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by saberrider » 31 Mar 2020, 21:29

Not necessarily, the F16 stick movement is very little, you can relax the pressure then takes your notes and the flying path will not be changed, only if you trim to have some gain from 1G straight and level.

by magnum4469 » 02 Apr 2020, 00:13

saberrider wrote:Not necessarily, the F16 stick movement is very little, you can relax the pressure then takes your notes and the flying path will not be changed, only if you trim to have some gain from 1G straight and level.

As has become the norm on this site, people like @saberrider pollute this forum with garbage information as they have only maybe flown a non realistic sim or just have no clue in general. First off there is no pressure on the stick from the flight controls. You do not need to have any pressure on it at all to fly straight and level assuming you have it trimmed up. It may require minor tweeks every so often but you are not flying around holding 10 lbs of pressure to fly straight and level. It only takes a couple of seconds to write a new freq or clearance. There is also the option to turn on the auto pilot, just the flip of a switch and it's on... Flying cross country you are on autopilot 95% of the time if you need to write something down. Keep in mind you are not writing a book, maybe a freq change, or a new clearance. Keep in mind pilots use tools they have, such as changing the heading bug for the new heading, changing the mils setting for a new altitude, and last the airspeed bug for a assigned airspeed when you get to low altitude arena.
As for combat flying you spend the very minimum time writing stuff down. The points you need for a nine line but you always do that while in a orbit high over the target. You will never write anything down while maneuvering near the ground or anything defensive.
Keep in mind people there is no need to write down stuff to remember, anything mission related is being recorded already on the tapes for later review if needed.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by saberrider » 04 Apr 2020, 07:37

This site is only for pilots or for any particular purposes?