Gun activation on the ground

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Patriot » 23 Mar 2020, 09:24

Simple question to an expert on the matter.

How many safety features does the F-16 have to prevent an accidental gun fire on the ground? I know of WOW sensor and possibly gun safety pin itself. Are there any more?

From the cockpit perspective is there anything more that prevent the gun from firing than the Master Arm switch and the trigger on the stick?

After all I guess the ground crews occasionally have to perform the gun runs on the ground after it being removed and serviced to make sure all systems go for launch ;) except they might not be using the live ammo in the process for obvious reasons.

Thanks

by tjodalv43 » 26 Mar 2020, 18:50

In addition to the ones you mentioned, you’d have to be in the strafe or dogfight mode, master arm switch hot, and pull the trigger. All this after someone pulled the pin and the ground jett switch is enabled.

I don’t think MX ever spins the gun on the ground, even without bullets. They do have checks and upkeep that might involve cranking it through, but I’ve never heard of anything where they have the jet on and run the gun.

by Hooter » 19 Feb 2023, 03:22

tjodalv43 wrote:In addition to the ones you mentioned, you’d have to be in the strafe or dogfight mode, master arm switch hot, and pull the trigger. All this after someone pulled the pin and the ground jett switch is enabled.

I don’t think MX ever spins the gun on the ground, even without bullets. They do have checks and upkeep that might involve cranking it through, but I’ve never heard of anything where they have the jet on and run the gun.

Actually, we did spin the gun on the ground. If you couldn't get a P loader or low pack you could fire up the hydraulics and load the gun with hydraulics..at least we did that on the block 5's

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 21 Feb 2023, 11:15

Patriot wrote:How many safety features does the F-16 have to prevent an accidental gun fire on the ground?

Are you referring to this accident?

Belgian F-16 burns out on the ground at Florennes Air Base

[...]

The F-16 was parked near a hangar when it was accidentally fired upon from another F-16 undergoing routine ground maintenance. Several detonations were heard and thick black smoke was seen for miles around.

[...]

Source: https://www.f-16.net/f-16-news-article5127.html