ISA failure

Operating an F-16 on the ground or in the air - from the engine start sequence, over replacing a wing, to aerial refueling procedures
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by simonlwa » 11 Aug 2010, 08:00

Hi to all the knowledgable people here, I have a few bothering questions and here it goes:

1) When I have an ISA fail, can I still control it? Let's say the ISA faills to respond to pilot input. I assume it will go into 'neutral' position right? Where can I find the answer to their position when they fail.

2) If the ISA can't respond to pilot's input then what can the pilot do to salvage the situation?

3) Can I still use the manual trim ( either the switches in the FLCS panel or the side stick) ?

Thanks in advance

by mlk32170 » 16 Dec 2010, 20:45

simonlwa wrote:Hi to all the knowledgable people here, I have a few bothering questions and here it goes:

1) When I have an ISA fail, can I still control it? Let's say the ISA faills to respond to pilot input. I assume it will go into 'neutral' position right? Where can I find the answer to their position when they fail.

2) If the ISA can't respond to pilot's input then what can the pilot do to salvage the situation?

3) Can I still use the manual trim ( either the switches in the FLCS panel or the side stick) ?

Thanks in advance

There is not guarantee that the ISA will fail to the neutral position. That was the design intent. However, hard over failures do happen. Generally, the flight control system compensates for the loss of that control surface if it is in the neutral position. The flight envelop will be impacted, but the airplane is still flyable. Even if you have a hard over failure you may still be able to slow down and use flaps to reduce a flaperon hard over failure impact. Horizontal tail, I don't think you can survive an hard over failure..

by cotyora » 15 Nov 2017, 20:52

simonlwa wrote:Hi to all the knowledgable people here, I have a few bothering questions and here it goes:

Thanks in advance

1)ISA's have 3 servo valves. So an ISA failure is really rare thing you will face with. The control surfaces go into "neutral" position in ISA failures and both hydraulic system drops to 720 psi or less.

2)As far as I know, nothing. Maybe FLCS reset will work.

3)No, because manual trim input is added to stick inputs. If an ISA failure occurs, it means no control is available for that surface.

My first message in forum, hi all!