Updating forum interface?

Unread postPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 16:16
by juretrn
Have the admins at F-16.net ever thought about updating the forum interface from the honestly rather outdated system in use right now? To something more modern like "Invision" forum that's popular these days? (as seen here: https://linustechtips.com/main/ )
I'm sure many of the members would be willing to donate for such an update as "quality of life" would improve rather substantially. I realise that takes money and especially time, but that's of course just food for thought in the coming year.

Re: Updating forum interface?

Unread postPosted: 31 Dec 2017, 17:15
by basher54321
What would be the benefits as you see them of doing that?

From a point of view of someone accessing it from Desktop/Phone/Tablet & Laptop PCs the lightweight and simplicity of the site is quite a plus - and I do get by on the phone fairly easily, even though I find any site/app on a phone a right PITA.

I can see that other phone / Tablets PC users may consider it less friendly on a tiny touch screen - but still difficult to compare because the whole mobile App/Web thing seems to be a mess with very little standards.

Unread postPosted: 01 Jan 2018, 19:25
by laos
The is only thing missing in the forum for me. Maybe it does not work on my comps but I tried a few.
When I enter the forum and click "new posts" topics appear. But I can't jump to the first unread post. As there are multi-page threads, it's hard to find where it ended when I visited the forum for the last time.

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 11:20
by Lieven
Thank you for the feedback. We're currently working on some major updates. Meanwhile, please be patient.

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 13:58
by madrat
This outdated design is superior to the new spam-ridden interfaces with CPU intensive drawing cycles that accomplish little to nothing. Please don't.

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 15:23
by tailgate
Ah, computer talk, wish I knew what the he$& you guys are talking about......lol. Just kidding, excellent site, keep up the hard work

Jimbo

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 15:59
by Lieven
Thanks Jimbo!

Don't worry Madrat. Trust us, it will be nothing too fancy, and it will still take a while before we get there.

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 18:06
by strykerxo
Can I ask for a like or dislike button?

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 18:46
by Lieven
strykerxo wrote:Can I ask for a like or dislike button?

Sorry, we don't take any requests at the moment. Unless you want to help us migrate the website of course.... :-).

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 20:05
by juretrn
Good to hear that updates are on the way , Lieven!
Always appreciate the effort you guys are making to keep the website running.

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 20:26
by botsing
juretrn wrote:Always appreciate the effort you guys are making to keep the website running.

I second that! Thank you all for the hard work.

Unread postPosted: 16 Feb 2018, 21:13
by viper12
botsing wrote:
juretrn wrote:Always appreciate the effort you guys are making to keep the website running.

I second that! Thank you all for the hard work.

+1

And I can say the report button works.

Unread postPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 14:16
by count_to_10
madrat wrote:This outdated design is superior to the new spam-ridden interfaces with CPU intensive drawing cycles that accomplish little to nothing. Please don't.

Seconded.
Please no java script or Facebook commenting.

Unread postPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 19:12
by neptune
count_to_10 wrote:
madrat wrote:This outdated design is superior to the new spam-ridden interfaces with CPU intensive drawing cycles that accomplish little to nothing. Please don't.

Seconded.
Please no java script or Facebook commenting.

Amen
:D

Unread postPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 05:17
by strykerxo
:poke:
Lieven wrote:
strykerxo wrote:Can I ask for a like or dislike button?

Sorry, we don't take any requests at the moment. Unless you want to help us migrate the website of course.... :-).

Unread postPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 10:19
by Lieven
Thank you guys!!

The website exists since 1995 (so that is about 23 years!) and we're not going to let it die.

Meanwhile, if there are a php, database, design or Joomla expert who want to give us a hand... please let us know!

One of the early versions of the websites, made in Windows Notepad:

349_old_homepage.jpg

Unread postPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 14:23
by Jon
Hey guys

Hard to believe how long this has been going. Respected and trustworthy.

Very excited for the transition to Joomla. Anybody out there who can help in the areas Lieven mentioned would be fantastic.

Unread postPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 02:57
by rheonomic
Is Joomla just for the "main" website or the forums as well? I looked briefly at their website and it seems their dev forums are hosted on phpBB...

Unread postPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 15:28
by Lieven
rheonomic wrote:Is Joomla just for the "main" website or the forums as well? I looked briefly at their website and it seems their dev forums are hosted on phpBB...

Correct, forum would stay on phpBB.

Unread postPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 16:57
by botsing
Jon wrote:Very excited for the transition to Joomla.

Just curious here: was there any specific reason to choose Joomla over another CMS?

In my experience (25+ years IT pro) Joomla is overly complicated and far less intuitive compared to WordPress.

Unread postPosted: 28 Feb 2018, 19:06
by Bjorn
botsing wrote:

Just curious here: was there any specific reason to choose Joomla over another CMS?

In my experience (25+ years IT pro) Joomla is overly complicated and far less intuitive compared to WordPress.

We compared three CMS systems, being Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. We choose Joomla because it holds the middle of simplicity (Wordpress) versus complexity (Drupal) and the choice is also a reflection on the possibilities we need the CMS to have to cover what we need technically speaking. Drupal is a winner in the latter one, but is a very steep climb. Wordpress is a little too 'lightweight' for what we need.

Greets,

Unread postPosted: 01 Mar 2018, 22:12
by botsing
Bjorn wrote:
botsing wrote:

We compared three CMS systems, being Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. We choose Joomla because it holds the middle of simplicity (Wordpress) versus complexity (Drupal) and the choice is also a reflection on the possibilities we need the CMS to have to cover what we need technically speaking. Drupal is a winner in the latter one, but is a very steep climb. Wordpress is a little too 'lightweight' for what we need.

Greets,

Thank you for the clear explanation, it looks like you carefully weighted all the options.

It makes me pretty curious now to what the new site/interface will bring! :D