Updating forum interface?

If you have suggestions for this site, noticed some problems or would like to give us a hand, then please post it here.
F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 27 Feb 2018, 10:19

Thank you guys!!

The website exists since 1995 (so that is about 23 years!) and we're not going to let it die.

Meanwhile, if there are a php, database, design or Joomla expert who want to give us a hand... please let us know!

One of the early versions of the websites, made in Windows Notepad:

349_old_homepage.jpg

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jon » 27 Feb 2018, 14:23

Hey guys

Hard to believe how long this has been going. Respected and trustworthy.

Very excited for the transition to Joomla. Anybody out there who can help in the areas Lieven mentioned would be fantastic.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by rheonomic » 28 Feb 2018, 02:57

Is Joomla just for the "main" website or the forums as well? I looked briefly at their website and it seems their dev forums are hosted on phpBB...
"You could do that, but it would be wrong."

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 28 Feb 2018, 15:28

rheonomic wrote:Is Joomla just for the "main" website or the forums as well? I looked briefly at their website and it seems their dev forums are hosted on phpBB...

Correct, forum would stay on phpBB.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 28 Feb 2018, 16:57

Jon wrote:Very excited for the transition to Joomla.

Just curious here: was there any specific reason to choose Joomla over another CMS?

In my experience (25+ years IT pro) Joomla is overly complicated and far less intuitive compared to WordPress.
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Bjorn » 28 Feb 2018, 19:06

botsing wrote:

Just curious here: was there any specific reason to choose Joomla over another CMS?

In my experience (25+ years IT pro) Joomla is overly complicated and far less intuitive compared to WordPress.

We compared three CMS systems, being Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. We choose Joomla because it holds the middle of simplicity (Wordpress) versus complexity (Drupal) and the choice is also a reflection on the possibilities we need the CMS to have to cover what we need technically speaking. Drupal is a winner in the latter one, but is a very steep climb. Wordpress is a little too 'lightweight' for what we need.

Greets,
Bjorn Claes
F-16.net Editor
Photo Library Admin
Aircraft Database Admin

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by botsing » 01 Mar 2018, 22:12

Bjorn wrote:
botsing wrote:

We compared three CMS systems, being Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. We choose Joomla because it holds the middle of simplicity (Wordpress) versus complexity (Drupal) and the choice is also a reflection on the possibilities we need the CMS to have to cover what we need technically speaking. Drupal is a winner in the latter one, but is a very steep climb. Wordpress is a little too 'lightweight' for what we need.

Greets,

Thank you for the clear explanation, it looks like you carefully weighted all the options.

It makes me pretty curious now to what the new site/interface will bring! :D
"Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know"

Previous