Historic Aircraft forum section proposal

If you have suggestions for this site, noticed some problems or would like to give us a hand, then please post it here.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by han9 » 26 Aug 2016, 09:35

I do not know if people realize that US airmen were already in the thick of it since over 100 years ago. Namely the Escadrille Américaine – American Squadron one can guess even without knowing French – was fighting since sometime about spring 1916 if I am right.

Anyway my point is, that in addition to the Modern Military Aircraft and Military Aircraft of the Cold War a Historic Military Aircraft or some such would be a great addition.

In particular – but not only because of – the coming centennial of US entry into the Great War.

What do the mods and other members think about this? Please consider it a serious proposal.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by han9 » 23 Mar 2017, 15:57

As I can see my proposal went over really well – however since I am a not so frequent visitor to the forum at least I was spared accusations of having first started something and than “orphaning” it.

However, I would like to make an appeal and call this to the attention of everybody and if that not asked to much also for the mods & admins to give it a thought - namely the last World War one veterans have passed way, in fact the last US one lived while pres. Obama was still in office.

To get you some perspective the Viper was already in service when a few American aces from World War One were still alive.

The point is, that time passes quickly in a decade there will be very few World War Two vets left and I dare to say that in two decades all will be gone.

So now there is a last chance to talk to them, get their memories etc. and when they inevitably pass away make sure that their photos, medals, uniforms etc. do not end in the trash!

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 23 Mar 2017, 16:14

What would be your definition of Historic? We have a Cold War thread, so I suppose that covers Korea to the Gulf. Would this then be more centered around WWI and WWII?
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by han9 » 23 Mar 2017, 18:05

While post World War Two use of air power such as in Korea or Vietnam is not ‘current’ I would put it firmly into ‘modern’ category.

This is why I would define historic as from earliest use of man made machines for the purpose of warfare till the end of the Second World War.

So answering your question straight: historic in my books is primarily World War One & Two.

However considering that the idea was hardly picked up I wonder if it would make sense here on F 16 net.

Anyway please also think about what I wrote in the second post in this thread that is to make people appreciate WW II vets while they still live and get their stories while you still can as well as make sure that their material legacy once they inevitably pass away is not lost –medals, uniforms but also documents, letters, mags & books and other period artefacts