Slow forum?

If you have suggestions for this site, noticed some problems or would like to give us a hand, then please post it here.
Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by spazsinbad » 04 Jul 2013, 22:45

EEK! 'neurotech' has the 'popcorn' condition! Lately in my experience this forum has become physically unresponsive with many seconds taken at any page before one is able to scroll down to look at the latest entry. What is going on? Is there some kind of humungous script running or malware or just the stupid advertisements at the top of the page taking up bandwith? I have broadband and one of the fastest computers available some few months ago and until recently this forum website was as responsive as any others - now it is just a DOG! :D

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 05 Jul 2013, 09:55

Anyone else experiencing problems with speed? We couldn't reproduce this yet.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by F16VIPER » 05 Jul 2013, 14:23

Yes, reported months ago. the advertising loading up first at the top is slowing everything up.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by FlightDreamz » 05 Jul 2013, 14:30

Hasn't happened to me on my WIndows 7/Firefox system (not yet anyway). <sarcasm> I <b>almost</b> wish it would, as it's seemed to have done wonders for <b>Popcorn's</b> post count. Elite with 3K posts? Really? :roll: </sarcasm> No offense intended I know <b>spazinbad</b> earned his elite status the old fashioned way and I rather enjoy <b>Popcorn's</b> posts as well (even if sometimes I do have to read them twice)!
But then again I haven't posted to f-16.net in a long <i>w - h - i - l- e</i> with some lingering password issues from transitioning from WinXP to Win7 (that and life keeps getting in way)! -sigh!-
A fighter without a gun . . . is like an airplane without a wing.— Brigadier General Robin Olds, USAF.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 05 Jul 2013, 20:12

Just to clarify. My duplicate post issue yesterday was caused by me pressing the wrong button and going off-page during posting, then reloading. It rarely happens like that. The reference to popcorn was intended as humor.

It could be that slowness is caused by ads that I typically don't see. Some ad providers seem to take 10+ seconds to load.

@spazsinbad: What browser and OS version (eg. Windows 7 IE9)?

by exfltsafety » 05 Jul 2013, 23:00

I don't have any problems with the speed that pages load using a Mac with OS X and Chrome.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Stefaan » 06 Jul 2013, 16:06

Hmm, the ads are supposed to load asynchronously - i.e. the page should load first, and the ads will fill in later.

Does anyone else see the page waiting for the ads to load, before continuing? If so - is this only on the forum, or on any page (e.g. the home page)

thanks,

stefaan
Stefaan Vanhastel
F-16.net Webmaster.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by fiskerwad » 06 Jul 2013, 16:09

I have a dog of a desktop computer. A ten year old HP running XP SP3 but it runs as fast as the latest hardware/software.
The secrests:
Firefox as a browser,
http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm, and
https://www.abine.com/dntdetail.php

The hosts file derails known adbots before the browser ever starts searching the web, and abine's, DoNotTrackMe handles the social websites and google ad tracking that are constantly following your web movements.
fisk
Mipple?