System Capability Upgrade (SCU) for F-16 Block 30

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.

by Andersson » 04 Jun 2007, 15:44

Hi, new member here. I am doing a research about the SCU software upgrade programs for the F-16C/D Block 30 globally.

AFAIK, there are 7 SCU. (SCU-1, SCU-1 PLUS, SCU-2, SCU-3, SCU-4, SCU-5, SCU-6).

I found some info for the SCU-3 onwards, however I could not find any info about SCU-1, SCU-1 PLUS and SCU-2.

In addition I would appreciate if someone elaborate a bit more on the F-204 software of the AN/APG-68(V)2 and the F-402 Block 4 upgrade one for the same radar version.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Boman » 04 Jun 2007, 16:43

Hello Anderson and welcome

PLease note that these types of questions - specially from new members - tend to be viewed with suspicion, even if you intentions aren`t.
Best regards
Niels

by Andersson » 05 Jun 2007, 11:44

Well, I see your point. Anyway, if someone has something to say either pm me or post something here thats not classified.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Bjorn » 08 Jun 2019, 12:49

This is a very old thread and I wanted to revive it in some way. As we all know the older block 25/30/32 were first foreseen to receive the CUPID program. When that deal fell through a minor update program 'SCU' was initiated. This also contains a number of versions as stated before. I'm not interested in capabilities that go with certain SCU's (although these are in the public domain certainly for SCU-7 onwards). But it would be nice to know how many airframes were included in these SCU's.

What I found so far is that SCU-7 included 113 block 25's and 319 block 30/32's. SCU-9 includes a total of 335 of block 25/30/32's.

If anyone also knows in which SCU the introduction of the APX-113 AIFF systems falls, that would be great too, unless this is a separate program not affiliated with the SCU program all together.

Greets,
Bjorn Claes
F-16.net Editor
Photo Library Admin
Aircraft Database Admin

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Roscoe » 12 Jul 2019, 08:02

Bjorn wrote:This is a very old thread and I wanted to revive it in some way. As we all know the older block 25/30/32 were first foreseen to receive the CUPID program. When that deal fell through a minor update program 'SCU' was initiated

First, my memory is weak from 20 years of doing other stuff, but I'll try to clarify. I came on board the F-16 "PreBlock" team in 1996 when SCU-3 was just being fielded and SCU-3+ was in work. 3+ was adding SADL (poor mans data link based on the Army EPLRS radio) and Targeting pod capability. Sometime after that the ANG Air Force Reserve Test Center (AATC) began working several Preblock mods in parallel but unlinked (i.e. each were modifying the same wiring harnesses without accounting for each others efforts. In other words, first mod approved wins and rest have to start over). AATC believed that several small programs would be more successful at getting funded than one big one. If I recall the mods were CMS (ALQ-213), reece pod, NVIS lighting, and probably something else. Anyway, at this time I left the test world and became the program manager for the NVIS upgrade. That's when I realized that AATC was rocketing toward disaster. Several of us worked together to convince them to combine the mods into a single CUPID upgrade (made my NVIS upgrade path much easier). So, in short, the SCU family of OFP updates were already firmly underway before CUPID came along.
Roscoe
F-16 Program Manager
USAF Test Pilot School 92A

"It's time to get medieval, I'm goin' in for guns" - Dos Gringos

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Bjorn » 03 Nov 2019, 12:32

Thanks for the additional info Roscoe.

Greets,
Bjorn Claes
F-16.net Editor
Photo Library Admin