Incentive rides - What maneuvers?

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

SixerViper

Unread post06 Nov 2007, 20:55

I guess I never kissed the right asses to get an incentive ride. Good thing I've got my own pilot's license! About the only thing left to do in an airplane that I haven't done is go supersonic, make a cat shot, and make a trap. Of course, unless I hit the mega lottery, I won't ever do these things, but that's all right. I, too, am utterly appalled at who gets rides while the maintainers don't. I didn't even get one when I retired because our Ops people didn't consider retirement rides "incentive" rides.

When I was a 5-hour student pilot in Duluth MN in 1970, I did get a ride in a T-33. That was a blast, even if we couldn't go supersonic. Just wish I could have flown the plane better. I was all over the sky. Guess I was just never in the right place at the right time.
F-106A/B '69-'73
F-105D/F '73-'81
A-7D/K '81-'91
F-16C/D '91-'05
SCUBA bum '05-Present

Pilotasso

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post06 Nov 2007, 22:42

Well yes... making a cat launch...that could prove to be even harder here... you see, no carriers. :lmao: My brothers an AF pilot, I work in the aircraft maintenance engineering and have occasionaly been involved with the MLU program but theres so much luck I can get in a country that only has 40 jets and no civilians allowed unless the incentives are mediatic and promoted by the defense ministry and a -.

ACMIguy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Nov 2007, 01:43

Pilotasso wrote: I can get in a country that only has 40 jets and no civilians allowed unless the incentives are mediatic and promoted by the defense ministry and a -.

Try wearing a skirt that works pretty good sometimes :lol:

03fomoco

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post07 Nov 2007, 03:24

I have read on here for years and finally had to register to chime in here. I am full time guard and about number 500 on the incentive ride list which should be about 4 more years. I can't wait. I have about 10 hours in an Extra 300 (aerobatic prop plane) and while an insane aircraft I want to know what the shear acceleration of a 16 feels like. How low can you go for a low level? I know departure from controlled flight won't be an option but what about something similar to a flat spin which in a jet I guess would be a tight rudder turn on the dreaded IFR death spiral? Any input from the Viper drivers? I fully plan on not eating anything but a Banana (taste the same either way it is going) and rarfing multiple times. I have pulled plus 6 minus 4 in an Extra and it truly does not have words to explain it. I want that 9g memory bad. I already find any amusement ride boring but I need something to make the Extra 300 boring.

rocketeer61

Unread post24 Jun 2019, 06:45

The F-16 has been my not-so-secret love since I saw a Block 1 on the ramp at Hill in 1980, and after 39 long years of waiting and watching Vipers overheard I finally checked the last item off my bucket list when this creaky 57 year old got a fam flight at Luke with the 310th FS "Tophats." All the Squadron people from the Airmen to my pilot were top tier all the way and made me feel at ease and at home from the get go.

After my videographer spouse and I attended gear fit and egress training I was scheduled to step at 1245 the next day. The checklist advised 16 hours crew rest and 8 hours sleep but I was too wired to do either and I think I slept for about 3 hours like the 3 from the night before. Had a Sonic banana shake in the AM just in case. Reported to the 310th and had to wait while my pilot attended a classified briefing. Afterward my wife and I got a briefing and I started to get the feeling that I wasn't going to fly around the flag. No camera in the cockpit for this flight, BTW.

Piled into a van with a bunch of pilots and went out to the ramp. We got out and walked up to the bird, and when I saw a near complete loadout on the wings the adrenaline kicked in. Got my posed ladder pics taken beforehand in case I was the same color as my flight suit afterward. We taxied out and got to watch two F-35 "Fat Amys" land right in front of us. Took off and headed for Gila Bend Range and got my first taste of Gs. We pulled 5 on the first turn and I told my pilot I'd be really happy if he kept the rest to that number or lower, which mission permitting he did.

After we got to the range, he handed me the aircraft and I did a few rolls and turns and the mandatory Mach 1 speed dash. The weather was CAVU and I could see across AZ and CA all the way to the Pacific. The pilot then took the aircraft to fly the mission and as soon as I let go of the controls I was instantly sick. I had the piddle pack instead of the white bags under the right ATAGS elastic on the advice of an egress troop and very nearly had to use it, but I figured out that by rotating my open sleeve cuffs back and forth over the center A/C vent and letting the cold air blow on the insides of my forearms, taking my mask on and off, toggling emergency air and 100% O2 on and off and doing the fixed point stare I could just barely keep my stomach at bay.

Flew back to Luke 2 ship and watched our wingman do a 360 inspection before we did the same and then finally broke right and landed as smooth as anyone ever has. There was so much going on in the cockpit during the flight that I didn't really catch up to the aircraft until I was taking my helmet off. I have a lot of great memories and HD ground pics/footage and the (unused) piddle pack is on display in my man cave folded up in the clear case the GoPro I bought for the flight came in.

Everyone who says a Viper ride is a life-changer couldn't be more right. If you ever get the chance to do it and if you have the time beforehand get yourself in shape-you'll definitely need to be.
Last edited by rocketeer61 on 25 Jun 2019, 04:55, edited 8 times in total.

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 4K

Elite 4K

Unread post24 Jun 2019, 14:23

I wish that was an experience a civilian could have.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

vilters

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post25 Jun 2019, 21:07

A good pilot flies what the client can sustain, and that should be clear during an informal before flight briefing.

On a second note:
All civilians are scared. Most are prepared to sustain the acceleration, some prepare for "G"s, but few expect the deceleration. And deceleration should be part of the demo.

The civilian should also prepare by being fit.
No drinking or drugs at least a week before the flight.
Well rested and hydrated.

A light meal before the flight, in preference together with the demo pilot. (Mostly to calm the client down and earn confidence and trust before the flight.)

Trusting the pilot (yeah, very personal but very important for a safe and enjoyable flight)

The purpose is to make the client enjoy the ride, not to scare them off.

saberrider

Unread post25 Jun 2019, 22:34

Yes,is true, for me the unloading part was very disturbing ,and tired from work add to disconfort.

rocketeer61

Unread post26 Jun 2019, 15:23

Vilters is right on all counts but one: I wasn't scared at all because I'm one of those adrenaline junkies who is missing the fear gene. When I was a kid my parents wondered if I'd make it to adulthood and even now my wife sometimes wonders if I'm going to make it to old age. I think my self-imposed G limit stemmed from the fact that I'm not a twenty-or thirtysomething fighter pilot but a fiftysomething retiree. I am in really good shape for my age but twist me just right and like a lot of middle agers I feel it.

jaws

Unread post29 Jun 2019, 20:40

I had my familiarization ride in July 2014, I can't believe it's been 5 years ago. It was definitely the best day of my career.

We had a normal A/B take-off, climbed to 18K, leveled off, flew south to the range, did a few rolls, and some other BFMs. It was so wild the first time I realized I was upside down looking through that D-model canopy. The view the canopy gives is amazing.

The highlight of the ride was the split-S manuever, .97 mach, pulled 9Gs. I honestly thought my femurs were going to shatter when the G-suit filled its bladders. I started to gray-out a bit but strained more to consciousness.

We were also the target of intercept for some Alert Vipers, so cool flying in formation with live-loaded jets.

Never had to use the airsickness bags either.

The aircraft was configured with -120s on 1 & 9, AMD on 2, centerline tank, -9X on 8.
"JAWS"

f-16adf

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post29 Jun 2019, 21:37

The Block 42 must have been a blast.

Well, for those of us that will never have the chance for a ride in a F-16. I guess here is the next best opportunity: http://www.jetwarbird.com/

jaws

Unread post06 Jul 2019, 18:10

Here's an article and video about a local reporter that flew with the 180th Fighter Wing recently.

"Into The Wild Blue Yonder": 13abc's Dan Smith flies with the 180th Fighter Wing
By Dan Smith | Posted: Fri 10:09 AM, Jul 05, 2019

SWANTON, Ohio (WTVG) - You see them at air shows, sporting events or even just over your house: Fighter jets screaming through the skies at nearly the speed of sound.

Recently, I had the privilege to fly with the Ohio Air National Guard's 180th Fighter Wing, based in Swanton. It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up... even if I passed out.

As you can imagine, a lot of rigorous training is required, especially all in one day. It takes many people to keep those planes aloft and pilots safe.

"Your crew chiefs, your egress, the aircrew flight equipment, your engine shop people, munitions... there's a ton of different people used every day to make sure these planes get off the ground," says Staff Sgt. Alex Parton.

A training cockpit clears up a lot of confusion, including how to safely eject or control the oxygen, and a parachute rig rounds out the emergency procedures.

At the aircrew flight equipment shop, Parton says they "pack parachutes, survival kits -- anything that would help the pilot in flight, such as helmets, harnesses, G-suits..."

That last one, the G-suit, is of particular importance when performing tight maneuvers, especially in combat.

When one simply stands up, that's about 1 G of force acting upon them (1 G = the average force on an object due to Earth's gravity). The G-suit uses an internal air bladder system to help offset about 1 to 2 Gs of force in flight, by constricting the thighs and preventing blood from rushing down and out of the brain so as not to pass out. An F-16 can withstand up to 9 Gs of force -- as can only the bravest of pilots.

Thankfully, my pilot was well-versed in flying this particular aircraft.

Captain Phil "Skip" Messer started flying the F-16 in 2012, "and I'm just about to hit 1000 hours, probably this month. From the time I start pilot training until the time I'm mission-qualified for the F-16 is about 2.5 years."

[...]

"You were able to pull 6.5 Gs in the F-16," offers Capt. Messer. "We were going about 650 mph at one point. We got to fly some low-level navigation down at 1500 feet AGL [above ground level], and a sightseeing tour over Cedar Point, Put-In-Bay..."

Other highlights included a close pass of a severe storm, and an even-closer look at another member of the 180th, easily less than 100 feet off our right wing.

The most nerve-racking part, however, wasn't any of those moments... it was when he briefly gave me control of the Fighting Falcon, performing some banked turns and even a barrel roll over central Ohio.

After an hour of flying, we arrived back on base, none the worse for wear -- save for my stomach, which waited until I stood up to leave the cockpit to remind me what I'd just been through.

[...]

Source: https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Into ... 42221.html
"JAWS"

LinkF16SimDude

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Jul 2019, 23:13

jaws wrote:Here's an article and video about a local reporter that flew with the 180th Fighter Wing recently.

https://www.13abc.com/content/news/Into ... 42221.html

420-ish straight-line miles in 1.5 hours or so? Maybe 2? (call it 500 with sightseeing) Didn't know you could see Ohio that quickly. And I'm from there! :lol: So jealous. :thumb:
Previous

Return to General F-16 forum