A few small questions

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

johnwill

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post05 Sep 2020, 22:26

duncddcnud wrote:John, Always great to see your outstanding F-16 flight test/structural loads knowledge is still put to good use today. Keeps everybody focused and honest. Enjoyed our time working together at GD on that fantastic F-16 program. Dunc

Dunc, check your private mail.

nigelt

Unread post06 Sep 2020, 20:50

I took this pic at Lackland Texas ANG it's a block 30. Its almost identical to the MLU except no chute and grey interior instead of black. EWMS suite. I was told that all block 30's are ANG and USAF's are 40 and 50 which are digital.

lamoey

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post08 Sep 2020, 21:31

nigelt wrote:I took this pic at Lackland Texas ANG it's a block 30. Its almost identical to the MLU except no chute and grey interior instead of black. EWMS suite. I was told that all block 30's are ANG and USAF's are 40 and 50 which are digital.

Not seen that panel since I left back in May 1985. I used to do FLC self tests several times a month. Brings back good memories.
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

octave

Unread post12 Sep 2020, 14:47

Many thanks guys.

Spurts, thanks for summing up and fixing my points.

johnwill wrote:... That is because the g limits are to protect the weapons and pylons, not the airplane. ...

John, that is really really surprising for me. Then the viper pilots are not immune to 'over g' the jet, like their predecessors. I wonder how many digital FLCS jets were over-stressed for all those years while it could be easily prevented by programming the FLCS accordingly.

saberrider

Unread post12 Sep 2020, 17:57

This is not a problem I read about one F15 in Desert Storm pulling 12G in split S. Then when you're going to use rolling firstly you unload a bit because the ailerons are more efficient that way. Also the rolling momentum is stopped usually after 120degree because no need for more than that to point the nose down. I read about theF100wings roots broken in Vietnam and they will be calling for anti aircraft gunnery.

saberrider

Unread post12 Sep 2020, 18:06

octave wrote:Many thanks guys.

Spurts, thanks for summing up and fixing my points.

johnwill wrote:... That is because the g limits are to protect the weapons and pylons, not the airplane. ...

John, that is really really surprising for me. Then the viper pilots are not immune to 'over g' the jet, like their predecessors. I wonder how many digital FLCS jets were over-stressed for all those years while it could be easily prevented by programming the FLCS accordingly.

This is not a problem I read about one F15 in Desert Storm pulling 12G in split S. Then when you're going to use rolling firstly you unload a bit because the ailerons are more efficient that way. Also the rolling momentum is stopped usually after 120degree because no need for more than that to point the nose down. I read about theF100wings roots broken and wing ripped off in Vietnam and they will be calling for anti aircraft gunnery.
Previous

Return to General F-16 forum