Cooling the APG-80 compared to APG-83

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by steve2267 » 13 Feb 2020, 02:34

My search-fu has failed me. I did find that the NG APG-83 SABR as installed in the Viper requires about 5.5kW of cooling capacity, which is (marginally?) supplied by an ECS duct (i.e. air-conditioned air), which removes heat from a heat exchanger installed as part of the APG-83 itself. (The actual APG-83 cooling system being of the self-contained liquid variety.)

I know the APG-80 has a longer range than the -83, and it required an upgraded cooling system, specific to the F-16E/F Block 60 jets. But I have not found any reference to how much power the APG-80 draws, or what its waste heat is.

Can anyone tell me or point me to an URL or reference that documents how much power the APG-80 draws and/or how much excess heat must be dispersed?

TIA
Take an F-16, stir in A-7, dollop of F-117, gob of F-22, dash of F/A-18, sprinkle with AV-8B, stir well + bake. Whaddya get? F-35.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by garrya » 14 Feb 2020, 08:41

steve2267 wrote:My search-fu has failed me. I did find that the NG APG-83 SABR as installed in the Viper requires about 5.5kW of cooling capacity, which is (marginally?) supplied by an ECS duct (i.e. air-conditioned air), which removes heat from a heat exchanger installed as part of the APG-83 itself. (The actual APG-83 cooling system being of the self-contained liquid variety.)

I know the APG-80 has a longer range than the -83, and it required an upgraded cooling system, specific to the F-16E/F Block 60 jets. But I have not found any reference to how much power the APG-80 draws, or what its waste heat is.

Can anyone tell me or point me to an URL or reference that documents how much power the APG-80 draws and/or how much excess heat must be dispersed?

TIA

Power consumption can be calculated from t/r modules output and PAE.
AFAIK there isn't any information about APG-80 cooling, but IMHO you can deduce from APG-79
apg-79.PNG