F16 pilot pull 9.5G.It is possible or it was just a spike ?

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

saberrider

Unread post25 Aug 2019, 09:32

I talk with the guy who is working with the F16 block 15 which is MLU upgrade and that is telling me. It is possible that?

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post25 Aug 2019, 10:50

No idea if the MLU has a different limiter now but this is an idea of what can happen.

The F-16 g limiter is not perfect and it can be defeated by a small amount, maybe .6 to .8 g. There is no way it would let you go to 11.2g in a turn. However there are two factors which may have led him to believe he did. First, his g meter is in the HUD and is driven by an accelerometer in the HUD electronics. The flight control accelerometer is about 5 feet behind the pilot, so those two units may give different values. Second, if he was rolling at high g, the roll rate and acceleration may affect either accelerometer and result in false readings. Pitch acceleration can also make false g reading.

So he may well have seen 11.2g but he likely did not really get there.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=24886&p=266875#p266875

f-16adf

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post26 Aug 2019, 00:22

CDR Nawrocki said he once pulled 10G's in the F-16N. Anyways, here is F-16N HUD footage of it spanking a Tomcat and the Viper pilot hit 9.8G at some point. There is also a YT video of it at 9.8G a few times, don't know if it is from the same sortie or different ones.
Attachments
F-16N v F-14.png

jacarlsen

Unread post26 Aug 2019, 07:40

Over-G isn't a problem. The pilots do it all the time. Over-g inspections are a bitch though.

lamoey

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post26 Aug 2019, 14:43

I once worked on a block 15 that came back showing 9.9G in the HUD two days in a row. That does not mean the aircraft actually pulled that much G. The main flight control computer (FLCC) gets its G input from four (4) accelerometers located under the ejection seat. The HUD has its own G sensor. So while the HUD shows the G measured somewhere in front of the cockpit, the flight control system measures where the pilot is located. The FLCC will allow the plain to go up to 9.5G, but beyond that is unlikely. For that to happen, at least 2 of the 4 independent channels of the quad redundant FLCC must fail, and there will be warnings lights and error messages. In my case there were none. After the first occurrence I failed to ask the technician responsible for the HUD where he got the G input from, so I replaced the main FLCC purely on a hunch. When the aircraft came back the second day, again with too high G, I asked the correct question, and promptly requested that the HUD's G sensor had to be replaced. The problem did not reoccur.
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

lamoey

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post26 Aug 2019, 14:48

jacarlsen wrote:Over-G isn't a problem. The pilots do it all the time. Over-g inspections are a bitch though.

I don't know where the current HUD gets its G input from, but if it still gets it from it own sensor, the I would question if the over-G happened at all.

I can attest for the over-G inspection being a bitch... Especially of a Friday afternoon, where there is a "beercall" at the mess.
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

Return to General F-16 forum