Shaw AFB transitioning to UHG5 paint scheme

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.

by jaws » 23 Jul 2019, 02:31

From the Shaw AFB website:

https://www.shaw.af.mil/News/Article-Di ... paint-job/

SHAW AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. -- SHAW AIR FORCE BASE, S.C. – The 20th Equipment Maintenance Squadron gave the 77th Fighter Squadron’s F-16CM Viper flagship a fresh look, June 20.

The jets are transitioning into a new coating system which the Air Force has standardized across the entire F-16 fleet.

The Vipers received their last paint scheme roughly ten years ago. It had a two-toned design — dark gray on the top and a light gray on the underside — that took ten days to paint, said Staff Sgt. Denzel Paylor, 20th EMS aircraft structural maintainer.

The new scheme brings that time down to five days, said Paylor.

Since they can paint more aircraft in less time, the 20th EMS has increased hangar and facility availability. This increases the efficiency of Air Force resources by using fewer manpower hours per jet.

“First, we scuff the preexisting aircraft coating then we apply one layer of primer coating to any bare metal,” said Paylor, “Next is an aeroglaze, a type of primer that allows paint coatings to effectively adhere together and makes the whole aircraft red. Last is the gray top coating.”

The paint’s primary job, however, is to protect the jet from rust and corrosion, said Paylor.

Senior Airman Daniel Meadows, 20th EMS aircraft structural maintainer, said some decals used include a falcon, which reflects the F-16’s official name, the tail stripe which tells what aircraft maintenance unit the plane is from, the “stars and bars” which is how service members know the Vipers belong to the U.S. Air Force, along with other important informational decals, such as “Danger” painted near the cockpit and ejection seat.

It all looks cool, but everything still has a function, he continued to say.

“Painting the jets is one of the best parts of my job,” said Meadows. “I put my ear protection in and everything’s quiet. You’re spraying and just in your own little world.”

"JAWS"