F-16A ADF Air Superiority competition win

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post05 Feb 2018, 20:48

Seen plenty of results showing that F-16 squads dominated a lot of Air to Ground comps back in the day - rather less on actually winning an air superiority comp but this is a good read - old news to many I suspect. 8)

WIlliamTellViperWin1994.pdf
William Tell Win
(927.05 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

Gums

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post05 Feb 2018, 21:54

Salute!

Good comment, Basher. Not really old news, but it was expected sooner or later back then that the Viper would kick butt.

You must remember that I cut my teeth in the 18th FIS at Grand Forks, and we went to WSEP each year and to William Tell every now and then. We didn't go the two years I was there. But I did get the chance to hose off one of those big Genies! My second attempt had a bad motor and so I dropped a bomb from 30,000 feet!!!

William Tell is vastly different from Red Flag and the weapon school and the Top Gun type of exercises. The biggest difference is actually firing real missiles and shooting the gun. Then there's a lack of furballs and unscripted setups as you see in Red Flag. So the scenarios are more like the old days when the aggressors would show up at individual units.

The load crew and maintenance competition is unique, and no comparison with any aspect of Red Flag. It's more like an ORI where every aspect of the unit competes as a whole.

The biggie in 1994 for the Viper was the Slammer. The ADF Viper outfits had practiced with the Sparrow for a few years and used to basic air defense profiles, but the Slammer was easier to employ and at a longer range and....... So what about a slightly lower radar contact range than the Eagle? Tactics could get you inside the missile launch zone and then bam! Then there's the load crew and maintenance competition you don't have at Red Flag or .......

The Aim-9L was also a biggie for the Viper. If you junked outta the way of a Sparrow, then you were inside min range for the Eagle or Tomcat Sparrow shot, wham! Stuff a Lima up his nose or turn and burn.

Having flown with several Guard units in the Sluf and the 466th folks at Hill in the Viper, those old guys are really good, and their maintenance is outstanding.

Gums remembers....
Gums
Viper pilot '79
"God in your guts, good men at your back, wings that stay on - and Tally Ho!"

basher54321

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post06 Feb 2018, 11:16

Cheers Gums :cheers:

mixelflick

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Feb 2018, 14:57

Great read. Proof positive people count as much as the airframe...

magnum4469

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post14 Feb 2018, 14:59

mixelflick wrote:Great read. Proof positive people count as much as the airframe...

And yet they were rewarded with losing their manned flying mission and given Pedator... Now upgraded to the Reaper...

outlaw162

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post14 Feb 2018, 19:51

Not to take anything away from the NoDak ANG William Tell technical accomplishments, but WT was similar to Gunsmoke as far as some of the canned artificialities and less than tactical approach at times. As well as the elitist work-up and prep using only specifically chosen pilots and providing them with specifically chosen and mx honed jets....which they flew day after day, twice a day for months, to the exclusion of the other squadron pilot flight availability if necessary.

I saw this approach in a Gunsmoke prep....and a Gunsmoke that had tactical fighters doing the required level deliveries for score at 300 KIAS. Now for an A-10 that's pretty good, but there were F-4s, F-16s & A-7s using the same parameters for accuracy sake. USAF premier A/G comp....ha.

(We flew our competition level deliveries at 450 KIAS....as always.)

The USN/USMC used to run a true air superiority comp yearly on the Yuma ACMR called "Fighter Derby". You had to fly tactically sound or you were in the 'coffin'. As opposed to the WT intercept comp where nobody was 'shooting' back and the worst outcome was 'a miss'.

Anyway, sad to say a number of premier ANG units are now in the drone business.....or worse.

Return to General F-16 forum