Thunderbird F-16 down near Colorado Springs

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.

by guy@rdaf.dk » 16 Dec 2016, 09:47

VarkVet wrote:Well it's one of the checks I've always done before I jumped in and started the bloody thing.

You kneel on the ladder, set your switches, take the throttle from off to mil, slam to idle, then trigger tilt back to off.

Get off ladder and do rest of walk around?

If you really did it as described, you probably used the wrong technic. Checklist require you to check the entire range of motion (cutoff to max AB) and not only cutoff to MIL (even tough this is not relevant in this case with this mishap). More importantly, you need to check the functionality of the trigger mechanism, by trying to rotate the throttle outboard and moving it to cutoff without touching the trigger. This is the only way to check that the trigger mechanism is actually working as it should.
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by VarkVet » 16 Dec 2016, 10:12

guy@rdaf.dk wrote:
VarkVet wrote:Well it's one of the checks I've always done before I jumped in and started the bloody thing.

You kneel on the ladder, set your switches, take the throttle from off to mil, slam to idle, then trigger tilt back to off.

Get off ladder and do rest of walk around?

If you really did it as described, you probably used the wrong technic. Checklist require you to check the entire range of motion (cutoff to max AB) and not only cutoff to MIL (even tough this is not relevant in this case with this mishap). More importantly, you need to check the functionality of the trigger mechanism, by trying to rotate the throttle outboard and moving it to cutoff without touching the trigger. This is the only way to check that the trigger mechanism is actually working as it should.

You can't engage afterburner with throttle and spider open for pre-check
My eyes have seen the glory of the Lord and the esthetics of the Flightline

by guy@rdaf.dk » 16 Dec 2016, 10:56

You can if you follow the checklist. Besides, is it not possible to close the spider handle with the canopy open, do the throttle movement check and open the spider again? Works for me on every pre engine start :mrgreen:

Now don't tell me that one is butt-hurt if one follows the check-list. Isn't that part of good aviation discipline?
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by saberrider » 26 Dec 2016, 11:22

http://alert5.com/2016/12/16/throttle-t ... ird-crash/ Some problems with throttle due to wear and tear,but at this level of expertise it is hard to believe that's what happened there.

by meatwod » 05 Jan 2017, 19:22

Inadvertent throttle cutoff has occurred a dozen other F-16 mishaps.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 07 Jan 2017, 06:08

meatwod wrote:Inadvertent throttle cutoff has occurred a dozen other F-16 mishaps.

Which ones? I've read a lot of the AIB reports for the USAF F-16s. Was it other F-16 operators?

A few reports mention the Main Fuel Shut-Off Valve causing engine rollback and failure, but did not mention the throttle cutoff being involved.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by 35_aoa » 07 Jan 2017, 09:56

guy@rdaf.dk wrote:

You can if you follow the checklist. Besides, is it not possible to close the spider handle with the canopy open, do the throttle movement check and open the spider again? Works for me on every pre engine start :mrgreen:

Now don't tell me that one is butt-hurt if one follows the check-list. Isn't that part of good aviation discipline?

I assume "spider" means the "claw" that covers the canopy open/close switch and actuates the canopy seal? If so, yeah, I have never had a problem checking the AB position during preflight with it open……you just have to move carefully so as not to scrape your knuckles in the process. I do it once I'm already in the seat strapped in as part of my cockpit sweep, but same same.

by meatwod » 10 Jan 2017, 17:17

neurotech wrote:
meatwod wrote:Inadvertent throttle cutoff has occurred a dozen other F-16 mishaps.

Which ones? I've read a lot of the AIB reports for the USAF F-16s. Was it other F-16 operators?

A few reports mention the Main Fuel Shut-Off Valve causing engine rollback and failure, but did not mention the throttle cutoff being involved.

https://www.abqjournal.com/855571/repor ... in-nm.html

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 11 Jan 2017, 19:30

meatwod wrote:
neurotech wrote:

https://www.abqjournal.com/855571/repor ... in-nm.html

Maybe 12 other mishaps caused by inadvertent throttle cut-off in almost 40 years is possible. I found one more in the DB.

84-1311

88-0487 (Same as linked article)

I'd also heard from a friend that they experienced a inadvertent throttle cutoff incident, with a returning F-16 pilot up front. No known defect with the throttle controls. There was only minor damage to the jet on landing, and EPU activation.

by bothomas » 23 Jan 2017, 19:54

Boman wrote:On the subject of new #6 fighter, any jet to be transferred to the unit would have to be modified with the smoke system before any paint jobs are applied, and this would naturally take a little more than 2 weeks to perform.

This is being done now at depot. Definitely not a quick process. Special parts having to be manufactured.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Boman » 24 Jan 2017, 07:36

Which tail number is replacing the destroyed viper?
Best regards
Niels

by bothomas » 15 Feb 2017, 00:06

Boman wrote:Which tail number is replacing the destroyed viper?

93-0553

by tbarlow » 25 Mar 2017, 12:38

http://www.airforcemag.com/AircraftAcci ... County.pdf

Here is the link to the AIB report, Good reading

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by air-to-air » 04 Apr 2017, 13:51

93-0553 was delivered to Nellis AFB in full Thunderbirds c/s on 10 March 2017

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Gamera » 24 May 2017, 15:57

[quote="thadutchman"]Not to take away from this indecent, it seems we lost birds from both Demo teams on the same day. F-18 went down as well an hour apart. Both birds were #6:

https://theaviationist.com/2016/06/02/i ... -same-day/[/quote]

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/military/ ... 102030178/

Colorado highway named for Blue Angel pilot killed in crash

2017/05/22

DURANGO, Colo. - A Blue Angel pilot who died in a crash before a Tennessee air show is being honored in his native Colorado.

Kuss, an Afghanistan veteran, died while preparing for an air show in June 2016 in Smyrna, outside Nashville.

http://www.pnj.com/story/news/military/ ... 101828666/

Tennessee monument will honor late Blue Angel pilot

2017/05/18

The town of Smyrna, Tenn., is erecting a memorial to the late U.S. Marine Corps Capt. Jeff Kuss, whose planed went down during a "Split S" maneuver while practicing for the Great Tennessee Air Show on June 2, 2016.

Previous