Pre-flight walkarounds

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post27 Aug 2005, 09:44

Purplehaze wrote:It's required in USAFE and ACC for the Pro Super to do a walk around , but's it's not a PR or anything that is carded.

There is a checklist that the Prosuper must carry around.

andylee

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post27 Aug 2005, 13:59

I agree with IDCrewDawg that if we do our jobs well, the pilots shouldn't find any snags on their BFs. As it is there are enough ossifers who think that enlisted guys dumb f**ks with no education that we shouldn't encourage any more!
There's a difference between human factor and plain laziness and indifference!
Code 1 really means Code 1! If you don't like or can't do the work, get out before you kill someone!

allenperos

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Aug 2005, 01:06

andylee, You're new! This is the first post of yours that I have read. Very good points and I must agree absolutley. I can detect a bit of frustration on your behalf as I have experienced many times while on active duty a long, long time ago. You must be a CC and a very good one at that! Keep the faith!
F-16B, CC 80-0623 ERAU ROTC
MD-11, 90, 80, Cognizant Aerospace Technical Writer - Powerplant RR, GE, and P&W

andylee

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Aug 2005, 04:40

Thanks for the vote of confidence! :D I used to work on the F-5 and now am working as an instructor in a civillian company. Boy is it hard to get the newbies to realise it's not just another job but a commitment!

Most seems to think what I say about dedication and attitudes etc are a big joke. It's just a way to make a living for them and they just do the minimum. A few join because they thought the industry had high pay,clean working environment and benefits due to the nature of the work!

When they find out the truth, many quit before their first year! The govt statistic is about 68% retention after training.

allenperos wrote:andylee, You're new! This is the first post of yours that I have read. Very good points and I must agree absolutley. I can detect a bit of frustration on your behalf as I have experienced many times while on active duty a long, long time ago. You must be a CC and a very good one at that! Keep the faith!

allenperos

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Aug 2005, 04:50

Slightly off-topic, :arrow: I once witnessed, during a launch, a five-level, marshall his jet with the ground wire still attached to the aircraft, whew!!!
MD-11, 90, 80, Cognizant Aerospace Technical Writer - Powerplant RR, GE, and P&W

allenperos

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Aug 2005, 04:57

andylee wrote:If you don't like or can't do the work, get out before you kill someone!

Andylee, I hope you won't take it against me, but I palace chased after two years, just wantd to be an officer with wings, came real close, never-the-less, I chose to leave for very personal reasons that would be detrimental to young posters and other crew chiefs, but things worked out ok, I miss active duty, but I do still fly in little civilian F-16's. 8)

andylee

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Aug 2005, 05:03

Hey at least you still had the bug to be in the biz!
I was talking about some leaving the industry altogether cos they wanted to make big bucks without the sweat or the 'bites'
From your signature you're doing well and giving back to the job so that's ok! :wink:
allenperos wrote:
andylee wrote:If you don't like or can't do the work, get out before you kill someone!

Andylee, I hope you won't take it against me, but I palace chased after two years, just wantd to be an officer with wings, came real close, never-the-less, I chose to leave for very personal reasons that would be detrimental to young posters and other crew chiefs, but things worked out ok, I miss active duty, but I do still fly in little civilian F-16's. 8)

BDM

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post28 Aug 2005, 08:56

So if the pilot finds something wrong do they cancel the flight for the day? Or how does that work?

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post28 Aug 2005, 09:33

BDM wrote:So if the pilot finds something wrong do they cancel the flight for the day? Or how does that work?

Depends on how quickly it can be fixed. Pilots find all kinds of things wrong on their walk arounds. I knew a pilot who found a bird strike in the inlet on his walk around, and yes the flight was canceled for the day. The CC responsible recieved harsh punishment for that as well. I have seen the pilots ask to have the canopy cleaned when they come out. If your in a place that has a lot of bugs you will need to clean it every flighy. Cleaning the canopy doesn't result in the flight being cancelled. So it all depeneds on what they find wrong. Hydraulic leaks = cancel flight, fuel leak = not always, it will depend on the amount and area that it leaks.

Usually the pilot doesn't find anything wrong, but there are times they do, so having the check is very justified. I know I wouldn't want to fly an airplane that some kid who has been working the plane less than a year has just checked with out a cursory look at some critical componets.

Purplehaze

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post29 Aug 2005, 18:44

Thanks for the input IDCrewDawg, when I left the 23rd we didn't have checklists for the ProSuper yet. It is amazing the things you can find on a walk around. It's also kinda neat when the pilot steps to the wrong jet and while doing his walk around he calls for the pro super and the jet he is at has no engine and asks how soon will this be ready.........answer..hop in sir I'll take you to your jet.

Purple

IDCrewDawg

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post30 Aug 2005, 12:33

Glad to be of help!

I have seen pilots get forced to shut down because they went to the wrong aircraft. The schedule printed with their names on it is actually a sort of authorization listing. If they have the wrong jet, they are unauthorized for that aircraft.

afetsf16lcpa

Unread post14 Sep 2005, 00:25

It realy is kind of wild that people miss things when they inspect the jets. I was at Osan when a jet cranked up with the intake and exhaust covers on, how did 2 people miss this? Aircrew and Crew Dawg, attention to detail, also seen a nose tire changed on mids, Crew Chief left the jack adapter on the nose strut, Pilot and Crew Chief missed it, jet cranked up taxied out of the Has could not turn. Again attention to detail. No matter how many times you brief these events they will continue to happen because of lack of attention to detail, or alot of folks just don't give a crap.

merica1776

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 11:01

Pilot found a mf quarter on the intake lip, just sitting there

tailgate

Unread post13 Sep 2017, 17:14

After my years of flying I have nothing but admiration and respect for the grounds crews they kept us flying. They do and did outstanding work. Most people outside the services have no idea what these men and women do on a daily basis to keep operations around the globe going.

On a personal note I NEVER had an issue doing any pre flight walkarounds in all my years of flying. The aircraft were always ready and superbly maintained. My sincerest appreciation to all that made that happen.

Tailgate

hoghandler

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post20 Sep 2017, 02:33

I once saw a job guide go through an A-10 engine. Looked like confetti during a macy's parade.
PreviousNext

Return to General F-16 forum