Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2005, 20:15
by codeonemagazine
Trying to complile a list of celebrities who have received incentive rides in F-16. Here's what I have so far:
  • Wayne Newton
  • Bruce Willis
  • Tom Cruise (maybe at Osan, know he sat in cockpit--checking)
  • Steffi Graff
  • Candice Bergen
  • Matt LeBlanc (Joey Tribbiani from Friends--I think he got one with Thunderbirds recently--checking)
  • Greta Van Sustren (at Nellis)
  • Gary Sinise (Aviano)
  • Tom Watson (Hill)
  • John Travolta (maybe, not sure)
  • Buzz Aldrin 90-0843 in 1997
  • Chris Cagle (country western singer)

RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2005, 20:23
by mcashe
Several members of the Denver Broncos

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2005, 20:24
by codeonemagazine
Need actual names.

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2005, 20:27
by mark
  • John Stockton (388th Hill)
  • Karl Malone (419th Hill)
  • Bruce Jenner (419th Hill)
  • Bill Elliot (419th Hill)
  • Rusty Doornan (388th Hill)

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2005, 22:42
by Jon
What is that guys name from Star Trek? Michael Dorn?

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2005, 23:01
by mark
Jon wrote:What is that guys name from Star Trek? Michael Dorn?

yes

Re: RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 00:06
by swanee
mark wrote:

yes

Michael Dorn is a huge aviation buff... a good guy too. Got a chance to take him up in a Blanik L-13 out in Yuma arizona when I was 18...

Micheal Dorn

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 01:33
by Occamsrasr
I might be wrong but I think Worf has flown with both the Angels and T-Birds.

Add to your list Steve Irwin, the croc hunter guy. Can't tell you what unit he flew with but it was on TV.

RE: Micheal Dorn

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 02:18
by Jon
Yes, I also remember that Steve Irwin aka Croc Hunter did fly with the 56th FW at Luke AFB. The episode that he flew in was pretty good.

Wonder if you should contact the T-birds and see if they have kept a list.

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 02:44
by TC
Former Miami Dolphins Quarterback Dan Marino. I can't remember if it was a ride at Homestead, or one with the Thunderbirds, but I clearly remember him receiving a ride. If he flew with Homestead, it was before my time. I'm thinking it was the Thunderbirds though.

I believe John Elway flew with the COANG at Buckley. I also believe it was sometime around the time the Broncos won the Super Bowl.

Tom Cruise (the lucky B@$t@rd) did indeed get a Viper ride. This tacked on with the 3 Tomcat rides he received during the filming of Top Gun.

Rod Stewart said it best..."Some Guys Have All the Luck"...of course, he got to tap Rachel Hunter, so I don't wanna hear him b*tch.

Now, if someone gave TC a choice between a Viper ride and Rachel Hunter...8) :wink:

Beers and MiGs were made to be pounded!

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 03:18
by vinnie
Crystal Gayle (63rd MacDill) 1980s - Had seat cushion with her name on it displayed in AMU

Greg Norman (MacDill) - During opening of 2nd golf course.

Scotty from original Star Trek (sat in Cockpit only).

List coming

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 03:58
by MrFalconFixer
Funny this came up. The Thunderbirds are actually putting a list together right now. I will post it as soon as I get a copy. :D

RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 04:15
by Wender
Joe Rogan from fear factor did too.

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 04:30
by MATMACWC
Tom Cruise did indeed get a F-16 from the 36th Fighter Squadron at Osan AB, ROK. The person giving the ride (sts) told Tom that the Fiends needed a new popcorn machine and a few months later a 12,000 dollar popcorn machine showed up thanks to him.....

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 04:57
by Wender
Good ol' Dubya did too didn't he?

Re: RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 06:16
by parrothead
MATMACWC wrote:Tom Cruise did indeed get a F-16 from the 36th Fighter Squadron at Osan AB, ROK. The person giving the ride (sts) told Tom that the Fiends needed a new popcorn machine and a few months later a 12,000 dollar popcorn machine showed up thanks to him.....

Nice to see he showed his thanks in such a cool way 8) ! I still think he's a lucky SOB for all those rides!

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 06:27
by TC
Negative. Dubya got an S-3B Viking ride. Still a good ride, and can pull a lot of G's, but no burners (same engines as the A-10) and can't go supersonic. Bill Elliot...saw his name up there. He got that Viper ride at Hill, but he also got an Eagle ride at Dobbins back in the '80s, and no bull$hit, they had a midair during the ride! They hit a Viper. I belive the guy in the Viper caused it, had to punch out, and Awesome Bill From Dawsonville landed safely. Surprised he wanted another ride after that. :shock: I'll bet the pucker factor on that first ride probably probably compressed that ACES II out of commission! :wink:

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 07:03
by chickenlegs
  • John Elway
  • Trevor Price
  • Mike Shanahan
  • A fullback name Griffin or Griffith
All with the Colorado Air National Guard

I'm sure there are more but will have to do some homework.

Sorry I can't remember the fullbacks name... not a Denver Bronco fan but a fan of the K.C. Chiefs. And do I hear it!

Have a great day!
Chickenlegs

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 07:12
by Sniper69
Was it Quinton Griffin (sp)?

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 07:13
by mark
Bill Elliot got the back seat ride in a F-16 while the 419th was TDY to Dobbins. They hit an F-15 while doing DACT... the 15 went down and the F-16 made it back. It was a project rebuild for the CLSS at Hill (79-0419 was the tail number) I have never heard exactly who was to blame for the mid air. The pilot went on eventually to be the wing king at the 419th so make your own assesment.

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_fighting_falco ... e-599.html

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 07:35
by chickenlegs
Yes, Quinton Griffin sounds right. He loved it by the way. Trevor Price didn't!

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 08:06
by Occamsrasr
Something in the back of my memory says Bruce Boxleitner flew in a Viper at Edwards, can't remember when. Hard to image John Travolta has not been in one, since he owns his own 707 and is a big airplane fan.

Re: List coming

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 09:22
by Tankrat
MrFalconFixer wrote:Funny this came up. The Thunderbirds are actually putting a list together right now. I will post it as soon as I get a copy. :D

I can get all the names off of the wall and post it for you?

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 14:17
by Loader
Tiger Woods flew with the T-Birds, as did Tino Martinez and a few other NY Yankees

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 17:42
by codeonemagazine
No Miss Americas?

Unread postPosted: 24 Feb 2005, 22:45
by LinkF16SimDude
Seems like the 178th FW at Springfield, OH had a visit from either a Miss America or a Miss Ohio a few years ago but I'm havin' trouble finding any web hits on it. I remember seeing a picture of her in the egress trainer in Code One magazine but can't find any COM archive hits either.

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 01:07
by Lieven
NASCAR driver <b>Elliot Sadler</b> got a backseat ride in an F-16 (422 T&E sqn) on Feb. 28 2002.

US Olympic gold medallist <b>Picabo Street</b> got a ride after she made a training video for the Air Force. Capt. Korey Amundson, 421st Fighter Squadron, piloted the aircraft in June 2001.

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 02:46
by Person
mark wrote:

yes

he also owns a f-86.

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 03:12
by flanker_hater
Norah O'Donnell of NBC flew with the 34th FS at Hill during the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 03:32
by LinkF16SimDude
Way too many celebs and not enough ground troops gettin' rides...IMHO. :evil: But I guess the PR is needed.

celebs

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 04:31
by testcell113th
I was there for red flag in 1999 when Tiger Woods rode with the Thunderbirds and he lasted 15 minutes before releasing his lunch.

The 113th DCANG has flown Brad Johnson-Buccaneeers QB/Redskins QB, Heath Shuler Redskins QB, and Donnie Neumberger who is a Busch series driver. We have flown others like Mayor Anthony Williams who equated his ride to a DC Dump truck-nice I know. :evil:

RE: celebs

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 06:36
by Tankrat
We are flying 2 members form the group 3 Doors Down tomorrow.

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 06:53
by ViperEnforcer
Person wrote:
mark wrote:

yes

he also owns a f-86.

Roger that, he flew with the T-Birds at Edwards's Open House , I think 99 or 00?

It was a 2 day show. Saturday Danny Divito (TAXI) flew as well. Mr Dorn flew Sunday.

BTW, he sold his F-86 some years ago. I had him sign a Hasegawa 48th F-86 Model I brought with me. I also have a pic my buddy Rig (Rigamortis on this board) of him & I (and US) right before he flew his Sabre out.

Mike V

RE: Re: RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 08:45
by TJStoney
Jerry Doyle from Babylon 5 also got a ride at Edwards.

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 08:47
by parrothead
Person wrote:
mark wrote:

yes

he also owns a f-86.

He actually had a T-33 a few years ago when he brought it to Miramar.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 08:53
by ViperEnforcer
TJStoney wrote:Jerry Doyle from Babylon 5 also got a ride at Edwards.

Him and Bruce Boxlitner got rides. Both were at the 97 "Falcon Rejoin" 25th Ann of the F-16 here at Edwards.

My Dolye was very cool, shootin the sh*t with us and all. Bruce wouldn't give us the time of day.

Bruce Willis was the same way when they were shooting the parts of Armageddon here as well.

Mike V

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 09:11
by TJStoney
Falcon Rejoin was great the weather sucked thou. And to bad whats her name got the top of her finger cut off that day.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 09:19
by parrothead
My Dolye was very cool, shootin the sh*t with us and all. Bruce wouldn't give us the time of day.

Bruce Willis was the same way when they were shooting the parts of Armageddon here as well.

Sorry, but I'm a bit confused. Was Bruce willis cool or was he a jerk?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 21:32
by ViperEnforcer
TJStoney wrote:Falcon Rejoin was great the weather sucked thou. And to bad whats her name got the top of her finger cut off that day.

Yeah, it was pretty bad weather.
Oh yeah, I remember that! You're talking about Erin Murray. Still lots of bad press lingering around on her, even years after she left! Her Ex Mark (quite, but cool guy) still works Civil Service at Shadow on the Orange & White Vipers.

She was in the Coleman with Geo when he put down the parking brake, and for what ever reason here hand was there (Many think, holding hands in the first place :lol: ) and it snipped off the tip of her finger - Ouch!

That was the night before all the jets left and we were servicing them all up. Damn, it felt like doing 2 wings of jets!

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 21:48
by ViperEnforcer
parrothead wrote:

Jerk!

Mike V

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2005, 23:23
by TJStoney
Enforcer, are you still at Edwards. Does OP's still have that picture of my jet on the wall when you walk in the lobby? <a href="f-16_fighting_falcon_airframe-696.html">80-0557</a>

Tom H

Unread postPosted: 26 Feb 2005, 04:00
by ViperEnforcer
Sure am, but I'm at Raptor these days. I get tasked to "Squirrel World" once in a while.

There's still pics of a lot of the jets, including 557 on the walls still, as well as the offices.

557 is going out to pasture though, if it hasn't already gone. I can remember working that hog. Being a C model conversion, it was a Pointy head nightmare at times, or so they said anyways.

Shadow now has some of the flight test jets, including 119, my old jet 359, 0082, and a handful of others.

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 26 Feb 2005, 06:28
by Roscoe
Craig T. Nelson was invited to be the VIP guest at a TPS graduation I attended. (he played Col Raynor Sarnac in "Call to Glory").

He got a viper ride that day that suffered a dual avionics fault at the extreme north edge of the 2508 complex. Airspeed was limited to something like 200 kts alllllll the way home. That night during his speech he related the story as only an actor can. I can't remember what he said, but I laughed my ^$$ off!

He was a pretty cool guy, especially after his humbling ride in a broken Viper.

Re: RE: celebs

Unread postPosted: 26 Feb 2005, 08:11
by swanee
Tankrat wrote:We are flying 2 members form the group 3 Doors Down tomorrow.

What did they do to deserve a ride?

RE: Re: RE: celebs

Unread postPosted: 27 Feb 2005, 02:50
by TC
Craig T. Nelson IS a cool guy! I wish I had thought of that incident when I was naming off a few celeb riders.

I believe the man owns his own plane, but he's a lot like like Paul Newman, or one of the Unsers. If there is anything with an engine that can go fast, he's ridden in it, or piloted it himself. Planes, race cars, powerboats, you name it. A great guy, and he's very supportive of the troops (always a plus with me).

Unread postPosted: 27 Feb 2005, 03:31
by Tankrat
swanee wrote:

They are very big supporters of the military, and have help spread a positive image of the military by giving free concerts for the troops and stuff like that.

I met the guys, they are real nice guys and they had a blast

Unread postPosted: 03 Mar 2005, 14:10
by Whity
NASCAR driver Brent Sherman (#58 Dodge Charger) will take to the skies on Wednesday, March 9, for a special celebrity orientation flight in the F-16D Fighting Falcon with the Thunderbirds at Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Before starting his career in the NASCAR Busch Series, Sherman was enlisted in the United States Air Force for six years. He qualified for Combat Control training in the Special Forces before receiving his USAF Wings and being assigned to the 963rd AWACS Squadron. Stationed at Tinker Air Force Base in Oklahoma, Sherman flew on radar jets tracking Air Force aircraft. He also logged 3,000 hours among combat, surveillance, and instructing missions all over the world.

Other sports superstars who have enjoyed an orientation flight with the Thunderbirds are: Tony Hawk, Terrell Davis, Joe Montana, and (as mentioned earlier in this thread) Tiger Woods

Unread postPosted: 15 Mar 2005, 04:02
by Planenutok
Vince and Rick from OCC and the show American Chopper. the show is on right now on discovery tune in now.

Unread postPosted: 15 Mar 2005, 05:20
by allenperos
OK, at MacDill, summer of 1984, Arnold Palmer flew in 80-0623, a "B" model, my jet, and the same summer, Crystal Gayle? Is that how you spell her last name? Flew in 80-0632, my roomate's jet, later that summer that aircraft's pilot G'loc into the Gulf of Mexico during an ACM mission, the biggest piece recovered from the wreckage in 50' of water was the LPC shaft, about 1 foot long.

Re: RE: Re: RE: celebs

Unread postPosted: 15 Mar 2005, 10:51
by goatmilk
Planenutok wrote:Vince and Rick from OCC and the show American Chopper. the show is on right now on discovery tune in now.

Ya beat me to it! Why I oughta... :lol: Later people.

Unread postPosted: 15 Mar 2005, 22:40
by LinkF16SimDude
allenperos wrote:....and the same summer, Crystal Gayle? Is that how you spell her last name? Flew in 80-0632, my roomate's jet....

Wow!....musta needed an extra large helmet to accomodate what musta been a HUGE bun of hair! :wink:

RE: Re: RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 21 Mar 2005, 10:03
by Whity
Team owner and former IndyCar driver Chip Ganassi got a ride in a Luke Air Force Base F-16 on March 15th 2005.

The pilot was Col. Pat Shay, a former winner of the Air Force's Top Gun award.

Unread postPosted: 21 Mar 2005, 16:28
by Dmanton300
Harrison Ford flew with the Thunderbirds a few years ago. . .

Re: RE: Re: RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 21 Mar 2005, 20:03
by LinkF16SimDude
Dmanton300 wrote:Harrison Ford flew with the Thunderbirds a few years ago. . .

Hope they didn't have a snake in plane! :lol:

From Indiana Jones I: "There's a big snake in the plane, Jaques! I hate snakes, Jaques! I hate 'em!!"

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 01 Apr 2005, 15:44
by allenperos
In case some viewers were wondering about Crystal Gayle's ride in <a href="f-16_fighting_falcon_airframe-771.html">80-0632</a>, some women NCO's took real good care of her, they brushed her hair downward so it would fit inside her flight suit. Apparently, she had a good time, the pilot was a relative of hers. Everyone had strawberries and champagne after the flight on the line.

Unread postPosted: 01 Apr 2005, 15:55
by parrothead
Now that sounds like a wonderful way to spend a morning :D ! Strawberries and champagne after a leisurely (yeah, right :lol: ) hop in an F-16, what more could one want? Thanks for the info on what they did with her hair - that had me confused!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 01 Apr 2005, 22:41
by LinkF16SimDude
parrothead wrote:Now that sounds like a wonderful way to spend a morning :D ! Strawberries and champagne after a leisurely (yeah, right :lol: ) hop in an F-16, what more could one want?

How 'bout a valet crew chief meetin' her at the parking spot with a stretch "Follow Me" truck ready to whisk her away to a soothing dip in the O-club jacuzzi followed by a relaxing massage by a hunky mechanic type called "Knuckles"? 8) :lol:

Bein' a celebrity backseater can be sooooooooo exhausting! :roll:

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2005, 02:45
by falconmaintainer
Ryan Newman Nascar driver got a ride out of Luke AFB , July 2004.

Unread postPosted: 03 Apr 2005, 14:51
by agilefalcon16
On an episode of Crocodile Hunter I saw a while ago, Steve Irwin (the Crocodile Hunter) got a ride in an F-16D at Luke AFB. He managed to stay conscious until almost 9g's.

Unread postPosted: 03 Apr 2005, 15:38
by Grunt
I don't know if any of you guys watch the History Channel, but the ol' R. Lee "gunny" Ermey got a ride in an F-15 in one of his Mail Call shows.

Unread postPosted: 11 Apr 2005, 20:00
by Lieven
Here's another one:

buccaneers.com wrote:Michael Clayton's NFL career took off like a jet in 2004, and that has afforded him some unique opportunities. One of them, fittingly, was literally taking off in a Thunderbird F-16 jet, an experience that left him nearly speechless on Friday afternoon 09 April 2005.

Source: http://buccaneers.com/news/newsdetail.aspx?newsid=4435

Unread postPosted: 27 Apr 2005, 07:27
by Lieven
And anotherone:

ThatsRacin.com wrote:However, this week Greg Biffle will reach speeds he's only dreamed about. This Wednesday (04/27) Biffle will take a ride in an F-16 fighter jet with the 187th Fighter Wing of the Alabama Air National Guard.

Soure: <a href="http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/motorsports/11495153.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/motorsports/11495153.htm</a>

Michael Clayton incentive ride

Unread postPosted: 12 May 2005, 15:25
by mcashe
Did anyone catch Michael Clayton's (Rookie Wide Receiver for the Bucs) incentive ride with a Thunderbird pilot on the NFL Network yesterday? The pilot was very impressed with him. He even endured according to the pilot, 9.2 G's. He seemed to have the "hick" maneuver down pretty well.

RE: Michael Clayton incentive ride

Unread postPosted: 20 May 2005, 16:30
by Whity
Clemson football coach <b>Tommy Bowden</b> will fly an F-16 Orientation Flight with the 169th Fighter Wing on May 25th at the McEntire Air National Guard Station near Eastover.

His pilot is scheduled to be Captain Rick "Slammer" Noble, a Clemson graduate and veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom.

Unread postPosted: 23 May 2005, 05:46
by starseed
Not sure if this is true or just air force lore, but I heard John Stockton made a pretty nasty comment to a group of maintainers at Hill either before or after his flight, something having to do with them losing the playoffs that year and us losing the Vietnam War. Any clarification on this would be great, as either I wasn't stationed there at the time or was gone that day for some reason. :D

Unread postPosted: 28 Jun 2005, 07:37
by Lieven
Dayna Roselli, Skywitness reporter with klas-tv, recently had the chance to fly in an F-16.

Stephen "Jester" Jost was Dayna's pilot. He has been an instructor at the Weapons School for two years. The flight lasted about 45 minutes. Jester took Dayna on a wild flight, they flew 9 G-forces, and broke the sound barrier.

Unread postPosted: 28 Jun 2005, 11:47
by goatmilk
Nick Lache from 98 Degrees got a ride in an F-16. Not sure which unit it was, but it was in the Jessica Simpson and Nick Lache Salute to Troops Special that aired a while ago.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jun 2005, 10:42
by grss1982
I think Owen Wilson also got the chance to ride an F-16. Not sure though. I think it was some sort of orientation ride for the then upcoming movie, Behind Enemy Lines (2001).

Unread postPosted: 08 Jul 2005, 12:43
by goatmilk
Owen Wilson flew in an F/A-18 Super Hornet, as it was to be the jet featured in the movie. In Behind Enemy Lines, he portrayed an RIO for a US Navy F-18. The DVD features clips of his incentive ride which was at NAS Lemoore in California.

Unread postPosted: 14 Aug 2005, 19:46
by adamgh81
Greg White host of 'Two Wheeled Tuesdays' on SPEED TV with the 178th FW Springfield, OH. It was also on his show in July/August 2004. He got to fly an actual mission, not just an incentive flight. Lucky bastard.

Unread postPosted: 15 Aug 2005, 00:08
by Soloflt
Steve Irwin flew with the 63rd FS. I can't remember which jet, but I did meet him after he landed. He is an awesome person to talk to. I wish I could same the same about his wife. Also I recall Meadowlark from the Harlem Globetrotters got a ride with the 309th FS at Luke as well.

As a side note, Steve did a bit about the AIM-9, but didn't make it on the show. It was absolutely hilarious watching him do his thing.

Unread postPosted: 16 Oct 2005, 20:31
by Lieven
On October 19, 2005, Nascar racer driver Carl Edwards will get a ride in an F-16 with the 169th Fighter Wing of the South Carolina Air National Guard. The flight will take place at McEntire Joint National Guard Base, just outside of Columbia, South Carolina.

Unread postPosted: 16 Oct 2005, 21:18
by HazF16
Capt Kurt "Huevos" Gallegos & John Stockton

Unread postPosted: 16 Oct 2005, 22:48
by ViperKeeper
swanee wrote:

What did 99% of the people metioned here do to deserve a ride? Not a damn thing....

Unread postPosted: 17 Oct 2005, 04:54
by Tankrat
It's called... Publicity, which is very good for recruiting.

Re: RE: Re: RE: celebs

Unread postPosted: 17 Oct 2005, 23:24
by ViperKeeper
Tankrat wrote:Its called... Publicity, which is very good for recruiting.

My a$$... go ask any kid on the street who had a ride in a 16... Kids don't care... Nothing but a photo op. :roll:

Unread postPosted: 20 Oct 2005, 16:18
by Vypergrl
Carrot Top also got a ride in a Viper. He flew with my unit Richmond's 192 FW Virginia Air Nat. Guard. I heard that his brother flies...don't know if that's true or not. It really pisses me off though that a celeb will get a ride faster than the jet's CC. :evil:

I don't care how good the PR is... it kills the morale of your maintainers when someone with money and status gets a ride before you do.

Enough said.
Cheers! :beer:

Unread postPosted: 16 Nov 2005, 20:02
by Whity
Boston Governor Romney was offered a ride and was supposedly even allowed to fly the plane for about 45 minutes over Utah and Arizona. When they eventually landed he promptly threw up.

Unread postPosted: 16 Nov 2005, 20:19
by Vypergrl
It's kinda funny if you think about it, you laugh as a crew chief because they couldn't keep their lunch, but then you're pissed 'cause the puked in your jet..... :evil:
Cheers!

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2005, 02:09
by johnqhitman
Dubya got one hell of a ride, but that is a different story.

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2005, 02:18
by ACSheva
Didnt Monica Bellucci :inlove: fly with the Italian Freche Tricolore in 02? I know she was offered a ride. Anyone?

Shev

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2005, 05:42
by TC
Digging for a relevant story Vypergrl. Hang tight!

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2005, 05:44
by TC
Vypergrl,

Here's one I posted on the Tomcat incentive ride page, concerning pilots who were also pi$$ed about taking up other people before their crew dogs.

TC wrote:I still think the funniest story of an incentive ride comes from my pops (a fmr. Rhino crewdog, among other aircraft as well). Anyway, the story goes something like this:

When he was working on Recon Rhinos @ Shaw in the mid-70s, they were scheduled to get some AFA cadets in for RF-4 rides. There was a big meeting with the squadron C/C, the pilots, and the ground crew, who would be launching the missions. One of the pilots, a captain, himself an Academy grad, and self-professed hater of fellow officers, flat out refused to take a cadet up. His reason being, that the crew chiefs had not yet received their incentive rides (sounds like a good enough reason to me). He gladly offered to take up a crew chief, but he flatly vetoed a ride for a cadet, saying something to the effect of "Those little pukes are nothing but a bunch of prima donnas that think their $hit doesn't stink and I don't even want to be around any of them, much less fly one of them."

About this time, another pilot, a high-time major, that Dad still swears had flown since the Wright Bros. spoke up and said "Give me one of them little sonofabitches. I'll give him a ride he won't ever forget either!"

Dad told me, "The bad part about this? Of all the planes in the squadron they could have assigned this ride to, guess whose plane they pick?"...Oh $hit!...

Anyway, the jet launches for what is supposed to be a 30-45 min ride...

...It was back in 15!

So Dad marshalls the plane back in, and when he goes to put the jet in the chocks, he looks up. He sees the major, but...no cadet in the back...Looks again...there's the major...where the f*#% is the cadet? Then, the canopies open, and the jet shuts down. Dad gets the ladders up, and when he gets up to the backseat, the kid is laying with his face between his knees. He's covered in puke, the backseat is covered in puke, even the canopy had puke running down the inside of it. He said the kids flightsuit was no longer OD green, but brown.

Apparently, when the major had done enough snap rolls, and tight turns to get the kid's breakfast to back up on him, the major heard him barf, and then shoved the stick foward for some negative G's...Oops! Now, you've thrown up, and BACK!

Dad got much pleasure from making the kid clean up his mess, and we both still get a kick out of his story.

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2005, 05:46
by ACSheva
TC, keep these stories coming bro. They are great. :thumb:

Shev :D

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2005, 15:51
by Vypergrl
Hahahahahah WAY too funny! But I wonder? Would a pilot happily give an incentive ride to a Cadet (I.E. me) who was a crew dawg for years and was a prior service SSGT? I would think that on those rare occasions, and they are rare to have prior E's in AFROTC in college, that the pilot wouldn't be so grumpy about it? :roll:

Who knows... all I know is that the incentive ride program at my base was...um..non-existant and I never got a ride....but Carrot Top did and that pissed me off. :evil:

Cheers!

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2005, 17:35
by Destro
Bill Elliot...saw his name up there. He got that Viper ride at Hill, but he also got an Eagle ride at Dobbins back in the '80s, and no bull$hit, they had a midair during the ride! They hit a Viper. I belive the guy in the Viper caused it, had to punch out, and Awesome Bill From Dawsonville landed safely

I heard from a guy that was in that F-15 unit that the Viper hooked a missle rail into the intake of the F-15 that Bill Elliot was in.

Unread postPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 04:59
by TC
I'll let you in on three secrets Vypergrl... :wink:

1) You are a female. Unless you get a female pilot, they WILL take it easy on you.

2) You aren't an Academy cadet. You are ROTC, which also helps gain you some points. Those who weren't Academy, AND even some who were (reference the above Captain) DON'T LIKE Academy cadets!

3) You are prior AF, AND you were a Crew Dog. You automatically get street cred with whomever flies you.

Wait 'til your Field Training. If you want a T-37 ride, and you qualify (medically-speaking) you shall have one. I see you are a Cavalier. Just hope that your pilot is NOT a Hokie!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Bill Elliott...I heard the same description of the midair that you described. The Viper's missile rail hooked the intake, and ripped the 16's wing off. He punched out, and Elliott and his pilot landed unscathed...

...He might've had to change his shorts, but other than that he was fine. :D

Unread postPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 05:12
by mark
The F-16 involved was <A href="f-16_fighting_falcon_airframe-599.html">79-0419</a> and it returned to base with the pilot (I kn ow the pilot but hesitate to share his name)in command and Bill Elliot in the backseat;.

The F-15 went down after the pilot ejected. The F-16 pilot went on to fly many years. 419 went on to be repaired and flew several years before it was involved in a fatal crash that killed both aircrew.

Unread postPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 15:17
by elp
I think the F-15 flight test here has flown a good portion of NASCAR pukes. :lol: They only got sick when doing right turns. :lol:

Unread postPosted: 18 Nov 2005, 23:50
by akruse21
mark wrote:The F-16 involved was 79-0419 and it returned to base with the pilot (I kn ow the pilot but hesitate to share his name)in command and Bill Elliot in the backseat;. The F-15 went down after the pilot ejected. The F-16 pilot went on to fly many years. 419 went on to be repaired and flew several years before it was involved in a fatal crash that killed both aircrew.

sounds like a very un-mojoish f-16

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2005, 03:41
by Biggen
So which jet was Bill Elliot in? The F-15 or the F-16?

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2005, 05:08
by mark
Bill Elliot was in the F-16. the F-16 returned, the F-15 crashed.

Unread postPosted: 24 Mar 2006, 17:35
by falconfixer1
I launched out nick lachey when him and jessica were in germany

Unread postPosted: 24 Mar 2006, 19:03
by Destro
Did you see miss Jessica? Did you get to talk to them at all? That had to be a good day at work :drool: :D

Unread postPosted: 28 Mar 2006, 23:29
by Lieven
Kevin Millwood (Major League Baseball player) was at Luke Air Force Base yesterday (March 28th) for a spin in an F-16.

Unread postPosted: 29 Mar 2006, 02:25
by TC
A loser, has been, alleged "star" like Nick Lachey gets an incentive ride, while troops (esp. the Crew Dogs) continuously get denied. What the Foxtrot is this world coming to? :mad:

Hope that little fairy had to use several "travel bags".

Of course, I can't b#tch too loudly I guess...I got my rides. :wink:

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 16:28
by Meathook
I'm just a nobody (USAF type maintainer) but this last Viper ride gave me a total of 86 hours in the B-Model, another 15 in the D-Model...WoW - How lucky was that!

Not bragging, just being very Grateful for the time and experiences I was lucky enough to have...I sure miss the adventures.

Enjoy... Salute to you all...
SMSgt. Tom Wharton (Retired)
A.K.A. Meathook

(thanks to my buddies on the Thunderbirds giving me that nick name back in 1988)

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 18:22
by elp
Your worth is a million times more important than some fat congressman or GD celeb. I would have liked to see one of those pukes be a part of one of the 4 jets that went down recently :lol: I sincerely believe it is money well spent ( if we had more flying hours. :evil: ) to give at least the CC's a minimum of one ride if they wanted to.

Cool photo.

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 19:59
by Meathook
I agree in spades, every aircraft maintainer should get the chance to fly at least once during their tour of duty.

Heres another one, with the Blues....talk about Lucky (I think I have a Four leaf Clover somewhere stuck in my body)

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 20:04
by Meathook
Younger days as an F4 Phantom, Tow Target Operator, Edwards AFB, California (75 and 76).

Old photo would not scan well...sorry

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 20:15
by Meathook
Well, all those wonderful experiences and now I have settled for these experiences, Cessna 340... life goes on for us all.

All the best to you all...
Salute

Unread postPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 21:50
by AmmoCapt
Meathook, part of the deal for you is you look the part! Heh heh...

Anyhow, going waay back to the ROTC thing, the ride in the T-37/38 is no guarantee. I was totally qualled and didn't get to go :-(

Back my senior year, I was supposed to have flown down at Luke a grand total of 6 times. And 6 times my ride magically disappeared. Oddly enough 6 times the Wing King signed off on me getting to go up. I even had my chamber card too.

I swear the only incentive ride I have ever gotten... hell, the only Air Force aircraft I have ever flown in was a KC-135R back in my second year of high school as a cadet in JROTC. Yes, you can dog me for not having deployed yet (a fact I am very bitter about), but its not for lack of trying.

While I was at Aviano, we gave rides to tons of cadets and celeb types. I don't remember any of the celebs, but the Cadets really pissed me off. Or some of the other CGOs for that matter. The Operation Air Force Cadets actually told me on a tour through the MSA that they "Have to fly AGAIN...." later that afternoon. Like it was some sort of a burden to them. :slap: In the two or so weeks they were there, they flew so often, I couldn't believe it.

Then there was this one fella from Intel, because he was in good budy budy with the schedulers, he was flying nearly once a week, just because he had connections. Yet my anual award winners, hell my USAFE Airman Of The Year never got her ride. It took an act of God to get our Shirt a ride.

I just keep telling myself that someday I'll get a ride...

It's one of those "whatever gets you through the night" scenarios. :roll:

Unread postPosted: 15 Apr 2006, 01:35
by cutlassracer
The backseat of my D models were a source of much frustration over the years. If I wasn't buckling the straps together to keep them from flopping around the empty backseat, I was strapping in some schmuck who didn't deserve to be there in the first place. Then there were the pilots who whined about having to ride bitch. At Moody I launched the CEO of Georgia Power, many student from Valdosta State Univ., our orderly room guy, who forgot to buckle the crotch straps of his harness. Reminded him when he was already in the jet. The guy who lived next to me in the dorms was a one striper, less than a year in, pharmacy puke, and he had been up! If memory serves me correctly, the only maitainer I ever launched was a crew chief from the A-10 squadron in Korea.

This is a pic of my jet in Osan. Flying in the typical D model cockpit configuration, backseat as empty as the day it was built! :x

[/url]http://www.f-16.net/gallery_item38772.html[url][/url]

Unread postPosted: 15 Apr 2006, 01:38
by cutlassracer
But I'm not bitter, no not me.

Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2006, 16:19
by Meathook
You know, in these trying times of forced reductions, budget cuts and generally stressful times, you think the USAF would try everything in its power to give a ride here and there to help keep the morale higher.

I know times have changed and not always for the best, that I am sorry to say but the job at hand is more serious now then ever in recent history.

I am proud of all that wear the uniform and wish to high heaven that all of you could experience that high-G environment at least once during your tenure or tour of duty.

Maybe when things calm a bit (whenever that will be) the USAF will start to reward their troops again with additional incentive rides. I got my fingers crossed for all of you, my youngest son and oldest daughter are both in, I am sure they will never see a ride (sorry to say) but then, their not maintenance related positions.

Keep your fingers crossed folks, work hard (as I know you all do) and maybe one day soon, the USAF and her supervisors, commanders will realize that incentive program is worth more then gold to their troops and get that ball rolling again.

I am hoping that happens sooner rather then later.

Check Six and be cool....Salute to you all.

Go Air Force

Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2006, 17:02
by cutlassracer
They need to wake up soon. Contray to thier popular belief, 12 hours shifts, remotes, deployments, and chem gear aren't real incentives. The more with less concept has made the whole thing not alot of fun. When I first got to Holloman, the 117 world was still kinda it's own thing. We had good manning, a manageable flying schedule, and good supervision. By the time I got out 3 years later the F-16 world was in full swing, half the manning, three times the flying and micro managing that would make your head explode. Funny thing is though, the senior leadership still scratches thier heads trying to figure out why nobody wants to stick it out much past thier 4 or 6 year enlistment. To bad we can't get more of the O-6's and above to read some of this stuff, might give them the clue they so desperatly need.

Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2006, 17:59
by ViperKeeper
Meathook wrote:I'm just a nobody (USAF type maintainer) but this last Viper ride gave me a total of 86 hours in the B-Model, another 15 in the D-Model...WoW - How lucky was that!

Not bragging, just being very Grateful for the time and experiences I was lucky enough to have...I sure miss the adventures.

Enjoy... Salute to you all...
SMSgt. Tom Wharton (Retired)
A.K.A. Meathook

(thanks to my buddies on the Thunderbirds giving me that nick name back in 1988)

Here's a question for you.....with those numbers I asume at least 80% of your airmen got a ride???? yes...no .....or more like 90%?

Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2006, 21:10
by Meathook
Not that high, I think I was luckier than most, some has to do with the jobs I managed to get but I would guess and say that maybe...maybe 35 to 40 percent of maintainers had a shot at a ride or two during my era 69 - 96, I know things have changed big time since though.

I managed a flight demonstration team twice (12th AF Team, single ship Demo's, then the Thunderbirds and managed to get on the Blue Angels). Those were very lucky slots and timing due to the jobs I had.

Keep in mind flying F4's back in 75 and 76, I was one of seven guys enlisted to do that, lots of luck and being in the right place at the right time....didn't hurt either. Very lucky and I know it but have always been very grateful too.

I know many ex-Thunderbird Advance Crew Chiefs that sure beat my flight hours too, I now work for a few as civilians...they never let me forget that either...in a nice way of course. (they flew everyday, sometimes twice a day going to the new show sites). They logged many. many hours for enlisted guys.

Every member of the Thunderbirds flew at least once while I was on the team, some more but of course the advanced guys...well, they blew the rest of us away in hours. Especially the T38 folks, they flew everywhere in there jets back then.

Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2006, 21:25
by Meathook
I can say I got 35 to 40 percent of my folks flown when I was a maintenance superintendent (other then the Thunderbirds of course, different story all together) as much as I tried too, our operation tempo was tough too. deployments, phase, maintaining pilot proficiencies (needing their hours too) weapons training, ...you know the drill, I too did not always win my debates to fly more of my folks.

I never took a ride before one of my troops though, the jobs I had, I just got to fly often, every Thunderbird flew that wanted too...some actually turned down the ride (scared or whatever, they did but that is what choice was about). I know it is far tougher now and it breaks my heart to hear it, I know how much work it is to keep those things flying...I just wish each two seater could be filled everyday (with enlisted if no aircrew was scheduled), no matter what the type aircraft...a ride is a ride in my book.

Unread postPosted: 16 Apr 2006, 22:28
by Meathook
Keep in mind, must mid-level managers don't get the chance to make the decision or suggest who gets a ride until your at least a Tech Sgt and even then, your merely making recommendations, there is always someone above you that has the final say so.

When your a Msgt (in charge of a flight or as production Super, your thoughts or recommendations are taken a slight bit more serious and maybe the folks you recommend may have a better shot of getting that ride).

Up until then, your just like anybody else, taking what you can when offered, especially if it is your job. But once your in charge and as in my case, was deploying all over the place, you have to brief the powers that be and many times again, as in my case...I was flown cross country to brief the then, Twelfth Air Force Command (General McPeak)...that involved allot of flying backseat to the location. It was not something I could give away to a young Staff or Tech to do for me, it was my job, my site surveys, my briefings..so I went where and when I was told, that was part of the reason I managed to accumulate so many hours.

Only when I made SMSgt and ran my own fighter squadron and had the Commanders ear could I truly influence him to give more rides and had more of a say in who got them and why. I really hated to give non-maintainers rides (you know the types, CBPO, Hospital, Finance when they won awards) they work well too but again, local policy calls the shots. But I know I fought like hell to give as many maintenance folks rides as I could. I knew I was lucky to get those for them, times changed for the worst in my book, I hear it almost impossible to get rides now unless you are a major award winner.

I hope it turns back around, I know it is hard to keep good folks, even my oldest girl (Captain is getting out) she was given a better civilian offer to make great money and start her family (her and her Captain husband who has been it for quite some time is thinking of leaving too) and hopefully be safer.

It is a very tough call, then again my son, the Sra (just got back from Iraq) is staying in but he too has thought about leaving (so he tells me) so I know it must be hard these days but I also know, I did not join to get a ride, that was a perk I never expected but would have stayed in anyway, I loved the travel and the friends I made and the things I was able to do.

However, it is not the same USAF I left and I know that, I wish it was...god we had fun and worked very hard too, they was nothing like it, or since in my book, but you have to decide, is it for money (of course not), is it for fun (sometimes) or is it because your dedicated and love the USA...I say, that must be the answer but we all must choose (thank god in this country we can)..

Unread postPosted: 17 Apr 2006, 05:16
by Siesta
When I was active duty E-3 Weapons Controller..got the rare chance in my career to fly in an F-4G..then F-15D.. then F-15E....after I got out... my wife who is a news reporter got a backseat ride with the Thunderbirds. Besides the high paid celebs... The T-birds and Blue Angels fly a few local VIPs/reporters at their show sites. I know Shaun King and John Lynch when they were with the Bucaneers flew with the t-birds.

I know that Stuart Payne the golfer flew with the Blue Angels. If you look at the New England Patriots website - one of their cheerleaders flew backseat out of Spang. Laurie Dhue when she was with MSNBC flew with VF-41 and did a couple carrier landings and takeoffs on the carrier Enterprise. VF-32 flew Chris Collingsworth onto the USS Truman.

Recently an ABC morning news reporter doing the story about the female F-16 thunderbird flew with one of the male pilots.

Gunny from Mail Call also had the rare opportunity not only to fly in backseat F-15D with the Oregon ANG... but also flew in a B-2 bomber.

Unread postPosted: 17 Apr 2006, 14:17
by Meathook
Yes, the teams do this to help boost publicity for the local airshows, get them air time and a chance for some lucky reporter to get the chance of a lifetime. Glad to hear you both got some stick time...seems it is harder to come bye these days (shamefully).

Good deal for you both

Unread postPosted: 20 Apr 2006, 19:17
by J.J.
Sorry guys, that´s not my topic. But by searching "Yahoo news", I just found a related news article. It´s not a celebrity, but probably the latest U.S. journalist as a backseater: Wayne Woolley, a staff writer for "The Star-Ledger" of Newark, New Jersey, flew with an F-16 from the 119th FS, 177th FW (New Jersey ANG).

Current story link:
http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/woolley041906.html

Unread postPosted: 20 Apr 2006, 19:32
by Meathook
Oh yea, lots of folks get rides, problem is there not always the folks that should. maintainers should fly before any celebrity (least in my book) but, shamefully, it does not happen enough.

Unread postPosted: 20 Apr 2006, 21:14
by J.J.
Although I´m so far away from the United States and from your usual military procedures, so I think I can understand you, Meathook! In my opinion, a backseat ride should be very instructive and, of course, also an experience at least for every dedicated crew chief, other maintenance personnel, and also for leading weapon loaders. In fact, the main body of every F-16 Expeditionary Fighter Squadron (EFS) which deploys for combat duty to Southwest Asia are ground personnel. And without their support, every Viper pilot is only a pedestrian.

The ignorance of essential performance, given by ground personnel, is also typical for most of the news media, also including book publications. Only as a sample, in Osprey´s newest publication "F-16 Fighting Falcon Units of Operation Iraqi Freedom" (written by Steve Davies and Doug Dildy) I found not info related to ground personnel support. Only the pilots are the heroes, and really that sucks. In my previews at F-16.net, related to my OEF/OIF fact files for the upcoming new section "F-16 in Combat History", I posted some more info related to ground personnel.

Unread postPosted: 11 May 2006, 19:33
by JakeMelampy
Although I tend to agree that giving flights to celebrities gives the unit some much-needed publicity, I think that the maintenance folks should always get first dibs. Rather than the celebs, I think it is a much better idea to spend time flying journalists, photographers, etc, that will write/photograph the event. At least that way, the average public can get a glimpse of what it takes to operate these machines, which is always good for PR/recruiting.

Jake

Unread postPosted: 14 May 2006, 14:26
by Arctus
What is the publicity/recruitment "half life" of flying celebs? ZIP ZILCH NADA!!! When's the last time you saw some famous schmuck make a recruiting commercial? Oh yeah...never. They get rides because public affairs at every level of command has the boss' ear and as most of the dudes on this site alredy know...PA doesn't come to the flightline unless there's a photo op or a VIP who need's his schwanse massaged.

Do you think some kid who's thinking of signing up is going to be enticed that much further because some actor got a ride? If the geeks at the pentagon had any brains they would offer rides via a lottery to recruits in the delayed entry program.

The people who work on jets SHOULD have priority and on paper they do especially crew chiefs. If you're a crew chief and not getting a ride under the Dedicated Crew Chief Orientation Program then you have weak or selfish leadership in your AMU. Do yourself a favor and look up AFI 11-450

Unread postPosted: 14 May 2006, 15:04
by AfterburnerDecalsScott
Is it just me, or does Jake look a whole lot like the guy in the Eye of the Viper ad?

Unread postPosted: 14 May 2006, 15:17
by Destro
Hmmm, nice observation. I think I agree........

Unread postPosted: 15 May 2006, 17:50
by RacerCrewChief
I spent 22 years and never recieved a ride in any of the type of aircraft I worked on,I was the "spare" many times but never made it to the flightsuit stage.

I consider myself blessed and lucky just to work on aircraft so a ride would have been nice but not something I feel empty about for not getting.

Unread postPosted: 16 May 2006, 19:08
by shadowruse
Yeah Tom Cruise recieved one in 94 or 95 not sure when it was cold out I know. I was there.... somehow the hanger was VERY crowded with people that had never seen the Flightline before... nice security.

But anyhow it was a fiasco with a moving aircraft, a poor CC gal trying to do her job in a overcrowded hangar. I felt sorry for her, lol, man was she ticked.

All we wanted to know was .... where was Nicole?!

Unread postPosted: 16 May 2006, 20:41
by cutlassracer
It was fall of 94. I got to Osan in Jan 95 and he had already been there. I remember the CC. Not her name, but the view she used to provide us at party's in Spain. Not real shy.

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2006, 02:33
by shadowruse
Trying to figure out... who are you cutlass? We were in the 36th together I assume.

Sra Sie Williams here... ring a bell?

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2006, 19:16
by Lieven
I moved the off-topic posts to the already existing thread: <a href="f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-1057.html">Rides in military aircraft - who should get them and why?</a>

Note that there's also this thread: <a href="f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-956.html">I rides/ O rides Tell you story</a>

Celebrity backseaters Tom Cruise crew chief....

Unread postPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 00:59
by shadowruse
Now I remember..... the crew dawgs name that crewed that circus was a female CC named Jody Strausser....was with her at Shaw in the 17th/77th and again at Osan with the fiends.... she was a real good crew dawg.....

Unread postPosted: 03 Aug 2006, 18:27
by Lieven
Tony Raines (driver in the Hall of Fame Racing in the NASCAR Nextel Cup Series) got a ride on Aug 1 in an F-16D from 181st Fighter Wing based in Terre Haute, Ind. Col. Chris "Bert" Colbert gave Raines an orientation flight.

Professional Bull Riders cowboy Jody Newberry got a ride in the back seat of an F-16 with Major Tad Clark, Thunderbird #8 pilot at the controls.

Clark has in the past also has given rides to San Diego Chargers wideout Eric Parker and NASCAR driver Ken Schrader.

Unread postPosted: 03 Aug 2006, 18:48
by rhinophan99
Pork Barrel at it's very best ...

NACAR drivers getting rides wonder how many Girl Scout cookies they have to seel to get those rides.....

RJ

Wany Newton and gary Sinise I could see as they give vast ammounts of there time to the USO and the troops .. Even going as far as altering there work and show schedule's to go oversea's ..

Unread postPosted: 05 Aug 2006, 15:26
by J.J.
In addition to Lieven´s post, here´s the full story about Tony Raines ("Raines gets a ride in F-16 fighter jet"). Current story link: http://motorsport.com/news/article.asp? ... NASCAR-CUP

Unread postPosted: 07 Aug 2006, 05:18
by E3oconnell93
Indy racer Mario Andretti, Luke AFB 311th AMU in the late 80s.

R. O'Connell

Unread postPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 19:51
by Meathook
Do you remember when exactly, I was there from 85 to 88 (310th and 314th AMU's) and never heard that....I bet he had a blast and had many photo "ops" with the folks.

Re: RE: Re: RE: List coming

Unread postPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 20:35
by Roscoe
Meathook wrote:I really hated to give non-maintainers rides (you know the types, CBPO, Hospital, Finance when they won awards) they work well too but again, local policy calls the shots.

Hate to disagree with you on this one, but everyone who wears the uniform should be considered equally for incentive rides. Mx, finance, whatever, they all play a part in keeping Big Blue humming. Giving preference to one career filed is why most bases quit giving rides...every ride appeared to be a case of who-knew-who, and I can guarantee they were not distributed fairly. That's why most commanders are limiting rides to special cases like quarterly award winners.

Unread postPosted: 08 Aug 2006, 20:39
by Meathook
I just wanted my flightline folks given the first shot before someone that never turned a wrench keeping that jet flying. I know it is not too popular (my views) but that is how I feel about it. But I am out of it now, so it is someones else's battle to fight . :thumb:

A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 12 Aug 2006, 01:59
by 260chief
1983 at McDill: Sen. Ted Kennedy

During my tenure in ACY: (1986-Present)

Former NJ Gov. Christie Whitman
NBC's Brian Williams (while a reporter for WCBS in NY)
NBC's Lester Holt
Deborah Norville
Cogressman Frank Lo Biondo (NJ)

RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 13 Aug 2006, 02:25
by TC
Ted Kennedy? Foxtrottin' Sierra! :mad: How does one of the most anti-military politicians end up getting an incentive ride? Oh yeah, that's right...he's a Kennedy! Next thing you know, they'll be giving the
Ice B#tch a ride (need I explain?). :roll:

Would've loved to have been there for Deborah Norville, though...MILF! :thumb:

BTW, welcome aboard 260! If you were in AC starting in 86, you were there for the end of F-106 ops, right?

To Err is Human. To Forgive is NOT ACC Policy.

Unread postPosted: 13 Aug 2006, 08:31
by cyclone
Tiger Woods also had a ride, according to Time magazine

Unread postPosted: 13 Aug 2006, 10:02
by Viper-Spec
Nick Lache got a ride with the 22FS back in May 05.

If I wasn't on leave at the time I would of made sure his flight was a ground abort, even if it meant cutting a WOW switch harness. I would of rather done both main WOW switches than see that chode get a ride. From what my buddies in my flight told me, his first flight had to come back to base immediatly since there was a gear problem then he steped to a spare D model and got his "full" ride.

IMO celebs should only get rides once ALL maintaniners have had one. This is the stuff that makes me sick, there is nothing positive that comes out of giving celebs rides other than pissed off maintainers that dont want to put up with the BS anymore and wipe their re-enlistment papers with thier a$$!

Unread postPosted: 13 Aug 2006, 13:59
by FDiron
I don't really see the purpose of celeb backseaters. Heres my reasoning.

The Air Force wants quality people, both for officers and enlisted. Most likely, these type of people aren't going to be persuaded to join the AF by seeing a boy-band singer ride in an F-16.

In fact, don't you get beaten by soap-in-a-sock if you tell people at boot camp that you joined the AF because you saw a singer or actor ride in a 16?

Unread postPosted: 13 Aug 2006, 18:21
by akruse21
its all about the publicity of the matter

Re: RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 13 Aug 2006, 19:09
by 260chief
TC wrote:Ted Kennedy? Foxtrottin' Sierra! :mad: How does one of the most anti-military politicians end up getting an incentive ride? Oh yeah, that's right...he's a Kennedy! Next thing you know, they'll be giving the
Ice B#tch a ride (need I explain?). :roll:

Would've loved to have been there for Deborah Norville, though...MILF! :thumb:

BTW, welcome aboard 260! If you were in AC starting in 86, you were there for the end of F-106 ops, right?

To Err is Human. To Forgive is NOT ACC Policy.

Yes TC, I spent about 2 years with the F-106 in the Phase Docks and Alert. It was a cool jet, but I was glad to get back on a 16.

Thanks for the welcome.
:)

RE: Re: RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 17:19
by rhinophan99
You should have to have some military background as well before even being considerd for a ride in anything... Not given a ride just because of who you are or you are a self proclaimed " Photographer " or whatnot... Would be nice to see the military put a end to these sort's of things ... The REAL media is one thing .. But it should stop there ..

Re: RE: Re: RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 18:55
by JakeMelampy
rhinophan99 wrote: Not given a ride just because of who you are or you are a self proclaimed " Photographer " The REAL media is one thing .. But it should stop there ..

Oooohhh, I'm pretty sure that if you waltz up to your local Viper squadron and proclaim yourself to be a photographer without some sort of reputation or at least a portfolio, you're not going to get a very positive response.

And, for the record, since I suppose I'm one of those "self-proclaimed photographers", the shots I took during my Viper flight were very heavily used by the unit for their own publicity and recruiting needs. A pair of matted and framed 16x20 photos went to the Wing Commander and Wing Executive Officer. They were also distributed amongst the mx troops, and whoever else in the unit wanted an 8x10 (or larger) of their jet in flight. They were also used as gifts for a retiring crewchief, and sent to the state's Adjutant General's office.

Yeah, you're right. They should put a stop to that. :roll:

Jake Melampy
self-proclaimed photographer

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 19:07
by rhinophan99
If I was speaking of you I would have used your name outright ! I am NOT one to hold back with a name if I have someone specific in mind ...

And why do you assume I am speaking of you ?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 19:17
by JakeMelampy
rhinophan99 wrote:If I was speaking of you I would have used your name outright ! I am NOT one to hold back with a name if I have someone specific in mind ...

And why do you assume I am speaking of you ?

I didn't say you were speaking of me, personally. I just take issue with your definition of "REAL media" vs "self-proclaimed" photographer, and I remember your initial negetive comments about my photo flight when Mark N. mentioned I'd been.

Jake

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2006, 19:49
by rhinophan99
fair enough... ( on not speaking directly of you ) ...

Unread postPosted: 29 Aug 2006, 22:42
by Bushmaster78FS
Bah! Ten pages of celebrity names who probably don't know jack about military aviation, let alone the Viper itself, the question is, when am I getting my ride??? :) :) :)

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2006, 08:27
by parrothead
I don't know when you'll get your ride, but it'll probably be before me :lol: !

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2006, 13:28
by Meathook
I agree..no civilian should ride until and only after USAF types have (especially maintenance, those folks should be at the top of any listing, in my book) but then again, I am narrow minded when it comes to flightline types, always have been (my fault, but there is it).

Hang tough, you just might get that ride...push for it, talk to the Superintendent and Pro-Super, both have "pull" with the squadron CC and can make it happen if the bug is placed into the right ear....least it used to be that way.

Good luck with it......

Unread postPosted: 04 Sep 2006, 23:24
by Jon
Steve Irwin who I know was mentioned in this thread as getting a ride in an F-16 (I believe during a US visit to Luke AFB) passed away today September 4th, 2006.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 50,00.html

Unread postPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 15:54
by Lurch
Steve will be missed for sure. I'm on a couple chat sites, from f-16's to aquarium fish, and all sites have mentioned his passing. Hope for the best for his family.

Unread postPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 17:21
by Meathook
The man lived on the "edge", he died doing what he loved, I think that says it all for many of us.

God Speed buddy, you will be missed by the world, thank you (and your family) for all you did to educate us all.
:salute:

Unread postPosted: 05 Sep 2006, 18:00
by Destro
I just heard about his passing too, damn shame.

Unread postPosted: 06 Sep 2006, 04:33
by dunnman19
Mark Grace who used to play for the Cubs and D-Backs and now is an announcer for the D-Backs got a ride in the 63 FS at Luke a couple months ago.

Unread postPosted: 07 Sep 2006, 05:31
by stinger1
Does anyone know where to get the clip of Steve Irwin flying with the 56th?

Unread postPosted: 09 Sep 2006, 22:22
by goatmilk
Actor David Ellison got to go up with the Thunderbirds. David stars in the upcoming movie 'Flyboys' (a movie about WWI fighter pilots of the Lafayette Escadrille). You can watch the clip of his flight on youtube.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-ZE3IhVX4

Unread postPosted: 09 Nov 2006, 21:15
by Lieven
On November 8th, NASCAR driver Clint Bowyer got a ride in an F-16 fighter jet at Luke Air Force Base in Goodyear, Ariz.

Bowyer and his NASCAR Nextel Cup crew chief Gil Martin flew with the 56th Fighter Wing at Luke Air base.

Bowyer originally visited the base in April as part of Phoenix International Raceway's "Salute to Military Families" program.

Unread postPosted: 06 Mar 2007, 21:34
by Lieven
South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier will get in an F-16 at McEntire Joint National Guard Base on Thursday and take to the skies. The ride will last about one hour.

Spurrier is expected to fly with a combat pilot out of the 169th Fighter Wing of the South Carolina Air National Guard.

Unread postPosted: 07 Mar 2007, 00:27
by TC
Ok Steve, if you barf during the flight, and get mad, you CAN NOT take off your helmet and spike it like your sideline visor! :lol:

Unread postPosted: 23 Apr 2007, 19:04
by Lieven
CBS Sports commentator and former NFL star Shannon Sharpe got a flight on February 2nd, 2007 at Homestead ARB.

CBS Sports commentator and former NFL star Shannon Sharpe, flown by Lt. Col. Kevin Robbins, USAF Demonstration Squadron Commander, lifts off for his orientation flight on February 2nd, 2007 at Homestead ARB. His flight would be featured during the pre-game show of Super Bowl XLI on February 4th, 2007. [USAF photo by Dan Galindo]

Unread postPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 03:25
by ViperKeeper2070
Wow...Shannon Sharpe in an F-16? Surprised they didn't have to butter the cockpit to fit him in there...
There's footage out there of Dale Earnhardt Jr. getting a backseat ride in a Blue Angel F-18. He actually does really well and withstands a couple of tough turns..

Unread postPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 05:20
by LinkF16SimDude
ViperKeeper2070 wrote:...He actually does really well and withstands a couple of tough turns..

I'll bet they were both to the right.... :wink: :whistle:

Unread postPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 20:13
by cutlassracer
I'll bet they were both to the right

More likely to the left :wink:

Unread postPosted: 24 Apr 2007, 20:56
by ve_tec
Bill Engvall did a piece about his F-16 ride on his Comedy Central show "15deg Off Cool".

Jerry Read did a thing on his ride as well

Unread postPosted: 02 May 2007, 06:38
by Racer181
Wender wrote:Good ol' Dubya did too didn't he?

Wasn't President G.W. Bush an F-102 pilot with the Texas ANG??

Unread postPosted: 02 May 2007, 16:27
by Lurch
Wasn't President G.W. Bush an F-102 pilot with the Texas ANG??

I thought it was F-106s that "Dubya" flew

Unread postPosted: 02 May 2007, 17:43
by mark
He flew 102's

Unread postPosted: 02 May 2007, 18:12
by slacker
at the 149th FW:
  • Carl Lewis
  • Clint Black
  • Texas Governor Rick Perry

Unread postPosted: 03 May 2007, 00:46
by ViperKeeper2070
cutlassracer wrote:
I'll bet they were both to the right

More likely to the left :wink:

I remember they start off with a high speed transition off the takeoff roll, trims up the flaps and gear, accellerates to 300 knots, then goes 65-70 nose up at the end of the runway....Dale begins laughing like a madman...
I remember they did an Immelman and pulled 7 or 8 g's...

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: A few I remember

Unread postPosted: 03 May 2007, 04:46
by Siesta
Destro wrote:I just heard about his passing too, damn shame.

Irwin also flew backseat F-15D during a segment at Eglin AFB, FL. A full bird Colonel accompanied him to tackle a croc... funny to see a full bird in flight suit getting all muddy!!! He was also at the Ranger training center where they train Spec Ops on wildlife.... the Rangers stood around rolling their eyes as they watched Steve tackle another croc.

Tom Cruise's F-16 Ride in Korea

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 01:46
by Meathook
This was taken the day of his ride while in Korea promoting his film Vampires (taken awhile back of course) but you can see he got his ride.

A friend who was there shared this photo with me, other folks were removed from it at their request.

Pony tailed Cruise in a Viper...amazing, guess anybody can really get a ride

RE: Tom Cruise

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 02:35
by Tim
I'd say I'm jealous, but I already had my ride and cut off my ponytail years ago :lol:

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 03:13
by Meathook
:notworthy:

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 07:57
by LinkF16SimDude
Well the squadron got a new popcorn machine out of it at least! :roll:

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 08:30
by parrothead
Link, you beat me to it. I hear it was one of the really expensive machines, too :wink:

At least they didn't give Kim Jong Il a ride :D !

Re: RE: Tom Cruise

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 12:17
by Arctus
parrothead wrote:Link, you beat me to it. I hear it was one of the really expensive machines, too :wink:

At least they didn't give Kim Jong Il a ride :D !

Yeah imagine the leisure suit/sunglasses hookup they would've gotten from Kim

In a thousand years the Kim regime will be known to history as the Polyester Dynasty

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 19:14
by elp
Man... Sociologists must have a lot of pull in the F-16 community. I would have thought Mormons have more. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2007, 23:55
by johnwill
Do you mean Scientologists?

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2007, 00:36
by Raptor_One
Hehehe... Tom Cruise a sociologist? I think not. :D

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2007, 08:11
by parrothead
I was wondering about him being a sociologist :lol: !

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2007, 14:03
by shiz302
Wonder if he'd eject if the pilot asked him about giving his kid Ritalin.

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2007, 17:31
by cutlassracer
Well the squadron got a new popcorn machine out of it at least!

No, the pilots got a new popcorn machine out of it. One of those big movie theatre machines.

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2007, 19:00
by Meathook
Of course, maintenance gets squat (as usual)....

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2007, 20:22
by elp
parrothead wrote:I was wondering about him being a sociologist :lol: !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: clicked the wrong thing on the spell checker. :lol:

Unread postPosted: 02 Sep 2007, 17:48
by Lieven
Judge Dick Ambrose got to fly with the Thunderbirds on Friday August 31st 2007.

Twenty-two years after he retired from professional football as a member of the Browns' beloved Kardiac Kids, Ambrose, 54, found himself reliving some of his tougher NFL moments as a passenger with the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds.

The Thunderbirds were in town to participate in the Cleveland National Air Show.

Ambrose, now a Cuyahoga County Common Pleas judge, was given a 40-minute ride Friday so CBS Sports could film his experience for a show before the Browns' home opener against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sept. 9.

The former linebacker, whose nickname was "Bam Bam," said he remained clear-headed for all but a brief moment of the flight. His pilot, Air Force Maj. Tad Clark, had just come out of a 180-degree turn at 650 mph over Lake Erie.

The strong gravitational pull from the high-speed maneuver drained the blood from Ambrose's brain, leaving him on the brink of a blackout.

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindeal ... xml&coll=2

Unread postPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 07:00
by Parkeran
Has John Travolta had a ride? I know he is really into aviation.

Unread postPosted: 11 Sep 2007, 07:04
by maddog2840
Lee Greenwood ( American country-pop singer and songwriter), 313TFS 1990, Zaragoza AB Spain. F-16 84-1292.

Unread postPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 14:07
by ACMIguy
Lieven wrote:South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier will get in an F-16 at McEntire Joint National Guard Base on Thursday and take to the skies. The ride will last about one hour.

Spurrier is expected to fly with a combat pilot out of the 169th Fighter Wing of the South Carolina Air National Guard.

He got his ride though he lost his cookies. Twice from what I was told by the ground crew. :lmao:

Unread postPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 17:52
by vandamanhl51
Yeah I was sitting on the truck when Nick Leche got his ride at Spangdahlem. The first jet he was in shut down because the camera they put in the back seat had dead batteries. They started back up, and then it ground aborted for a red light in the handle. Then he got in our other D-model and got his full ride. The pilot said he tried everything he could think of but could make him get sick. He was a major a$$, he was getting down from the ladder and scrapped up his helmet, one of our guys took it from him and told what he did, and he said something like "it doesnt matter they'll just give me another one".

Unread postPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 20:23
by elguapo
Comedian Bill " here's your sign" Engvall too. Dubya flew in a navy jet, EA6 prowler I believe, along with two secret service guys.

Unread postPosted: 17 Sep 2007, 20:29
by huggy
elguapo wrote:Dubya flew in a navy jet, EA6 prowler I believe, along with two secret service guys.

It was an NZY-based S-3.

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 01:17
by LinkF16SimDude
huggy wrote:
elguapo wrote:Dubya flew in a navy jet, EA6 prowler I believe, along with two secret service guys.

It was an NZY-based S-3.

Yeah...S-3. And here's a pic from Wikipedia.

A funny (and unsubstantiated) story I heard 'bout that one was that as they were still some distance from the boat, the pilot briefed the Prez on how to respond to the controller after he cleared 'em for the pass. Basically, "Give him our callsign and fuel weight (which I'll say was 3500 pounds 'cause I can't recall what it really was), say where we are on the glideslope and say whether or not you can see the ball".

As they were cleared, the Prez comes up on freq and says, "Navy 1, 3500 on glideslope, I have the balls..."

As we say in the South....Bless his li'l ol' heart! :lol:

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 08:45
by Racer181
Once again didn't Dubya fly F-106's for the Texas ANG. Besides he's the President if i were the President I'd be flying in fighters all the time. In fact if i were President I'd have an F-16D in the AF1 color scheme.

Can someone photoshop an F-16D Air Force One style?

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2007, 09:05
by LinkF16SimDude
F-102s actually. With the 147th FIG at Ellington. He was out by the time they got their next jet (the Voodoo).

Unread postPosted: 13 Oct 2007, 23:54
by Lieven
Columbia financier Darla Moore was taken on a ride on Saturday with the S.C. Air National Guard based at McEntire Joint National Guard Base.

Football head coaches Steve Spurrier of USC and Tommy Bowden of Clemson also have taken the rides before.

Unread postPosted: 18 Oct 2007, 02:46
by TC
Lieven wrote:Columbia financier Darla Moore

Can I be the first to ask, :wtf:

So, in layman's terms, she's just some rich b*tch from South Carolina's capital city? And here I sit, knowing that I had months and months of training away from my home and my family just so I could get the opportunity to fly in a cargo compartment for a living? I must ask, just how F-ed up is my life?

If I were that driver, I would've made sure that she'd never want to look at another plane for the rest of her life, much less want to fly in another one. :twisted:

Unread postPosted: 19 Oct 2007, 15:06
by rupp05
We flew Bruce Willis at Mountain home with the 389th. He was great and after he landed on their way to debrief he closed the door in the faces of Entertainment Tonight cameras and all the big wheels and hung out with the crew dawgs after their roll call and signed autographs and took pictures.

Ops guys made a name tag for his flight suit that said "Demi's Husband"! He took all the ribbing pretty good be he didn't bring Demi and that bummed everyone out!! 8)

Unread postPosted: 03 Nov 2007, 05:01
by 997KSEF
I agree, the President needs a D model in Air Force One colors.

I think Jeremy McGraff the motorcross guy got a Thunderbird ride.

Hulk Hogan is from Tampa, thought he flew with the 62nd at MC in the early 90s.

Less celebs, more crew dogs!

Unread postPosted: 07 Feb 2008, 18:56
by Lieven
2006 POWERade champion Jason Line parked his Summit Racing Equipment Pro Stock Pontiac at Las Vegas Motor Speedway and crossed the Boulevard to Nellis Air Force Base to take a Tuesday afternoon (05 Feb) ride with the USAF Thunderbirds.

Celeb rides

Unread postPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 06:49
by F16guy
I know that most of the time I walkout to the jet I ask our maintainers when they got a ride. Over my career, I'd say about 15-20% had at least one flight. I know that it aggravates me to see family models go empty but here are a couple of reasons.

1st the USAF defines familiarization flights and incentive flights differently. Fam flights are used to orient individuals who's jobs can be enhanced with and airborne perspective on how their particular job impacts the mission. (I'd say maintainers top that list, but I'm not in charge of that one.) I've given several intel, air traffic control (civilian center and mil RAPCON controllers), ALO's and JTAC's, and even a Weather guesser a flight. These fam flights allow mission training to take place and EP procedures to be practiced so they theoretically have little impact on the mission. I say theoretically because with out an Altitude chamber card the flight can't get above 18,000 ft and that does hamper the training.

2nd the incentive flight- no training items can be flown or EP's practiced. (What I mean by EP's practiced- no simulated flameout patterns which is tough to accurately practice in the sim.) The one's that I've given have been for military awards winners, TDY mx personnel and some local celebs (read TV anchors, and reporters). One award winner (female SSgt from personel) was so incredibly scared that she didn't want me to turn the jet. I had to tell her we had to turn or we'd run out of gas before we made it back around the planet to land (that flight was no fun--she literally screamed everytime I'd bank the jet 15 degrees).

3rd. Usually out of a 24/18 PAA squadron only 2 maybe 3 jets are family models. With that in mind...most likely the mission has to be a training mission and unfortunately crew chiefs and other mx folks don't qualify for fam flights (under present rules). So those empty back seats have to be that way to get training accomplished. (just explaining... don't shoot the pilot)

Lastly, it seems to me that the best deal going for MX is the TDY. Typically the squadron flys a 8x6 with two incentive flights per day. (Side note, it was amazing the FMC rates we had while we deployed, very few redballs and code three's, especially with the D mod's, we would usually knock out about 12-16 incentives per two week TDY.)

Just my two cents

RE: Celeb rides

Unread postPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 16:12
by KXY
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet (havnt read through all the pages), but Brendan Frasier has flown with the Thunderbirds..

RE: Celeb rides

Unread postPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 17:27
by Asif
Older story from November 2007. For fans of 'Heroes'

944th Fighter Wing wrote:Heroes star flies at Luke
by Tech. Sgt. Susan Stout
944th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

11/20/2007 - LUKE AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. -- Unlike his television character on the TV show Heroes, Milo Ventimiglia needed an Air Force pilot to help him fly.

The actor, who plays Peter Petrelli on the show, strapped into an F-16 and climbed high to the skies over Arizona Nov. 16 with the 944th Fighter Wing, a Reserve unit here.

The day before his flight, Ventimiglia attended egress training and received a medical examination to ensure he was fit to fly.

"While I was up there, everything helped," he said. "To know what was around the cockpit and what was coming - but you don't really know until you get up there. Once you're in the air, you understand what everyone was talking about."

Ventimiglia said he wasn't nervous at all. Perhaps it was the skill of his pilot, Lt. Col. John Wynne, that eased his mind.

"Honestly, my heart didn't even start to race the whole time I was in the jet," Ventimiglia said. "I felt very safe and very calm, in fact."

When asked about whether or not he got sick on the flight, Ventimiglia smiled and said, "I would say I felt the effects of G-force and some aerial acrobatics. My body is not used to that."

In addition to learning about the Reserve, the 944th Fighter Wing, and Luke Air Force Base, Ventimiglia also signed hundreds of autographs for Luke Airmen.

"I met a lot of good people," he said. "To see the world of the base and a community of friendly, talented people was really nice."

Source: http://www.944fw.afrc.af.mil/news/story ... =123076635

Photo Caption:
Lt. Col. John Wynne, 301st Fighter Squadron pilot, prepares Milo Ventimiglia for his F-16 flight Nov. 16. Ventimiglia stars on the TV show Heroes as Peter Petrelli. During his visit to Luke Air Force Base, Ventimiglia signed autographs, learned about the Air Force Reserve, the 944th Fighter Wing and Luke AFB. (U.S. Air Force photo/Tech. Sgt. Susan Stout)

Unread postPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 17:46
by kcsimbro
Tiger Woods, Joe Montana, Terry Labonte, Booby Labonte, Jeremy Mcgrath,...

Unread postPosted: 08 Feb 2008, 19:21
by Arctus
F16guy,
Thanks for the pilots perspective. Check out AFI 11-450 (especially the ACCI version if you're in ACC)

Therein lays outlined the Dedicated Crew Chief Orientation Ride program.
MX guys and Direct support types first, then everyone else.

Celebrities should make AF recruiting commercials in exchange for their rides.

Unread postPosted: 28 Feb 2008, 10:08
by Gamera
OTOH, I don't readily remember any celeb who rode in the back of a JASDF F-2, or USAF F-16 at Misawa AB.

WRT other JASDF jet fighters, in the late 1960s (IIRC), the (internationally famous/infamous) author Mishima Yukio rode a JASDF F-104DJ, went up, and later wrote an essay about it. I haven't found out the serial number of this F-104DJ.

A few 1960s movies glorified JASDF pilots, a la Top Gun.

Two other recent examples I know are:
- Best Guy (1990), another Top Gun-like movie about JASDF F-15 pilots.
- Ultraman 2004 (giant superhero vs giant monster), where the protagonist is a JASDF F-15 pilot. The movie production borrowed a F-15J in a hangar at Hyakuri AB; the hero sat in the cockpit, with blue screens around it.
http://www.ultraman-movie.com/ultraman/index.php

Unread postPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 07:17
by Lieven
Michael McDowell, NASCAR driver of the no. 00 Aaron's Toyota Camry for Michael Waltrip Racing, visited Luke Wednesday for an orientation flight and other activities.

SrA. Mason Bergeron, a 56th OSS aircrew flight equipment continuation training instructor, explains the proper way to egress an aircraft to NASCAR driver Michael McDowell before his orientation flight in an F-16. [USAF photo by SSgt. Christopher Hummel]

See: <a href="news_article2837.html">NASCAR rookie takes F-16 ride</a>

Unread postPosted: 20 Apr 2008, 15:33
by cdhstang
Joe Nichols Takes Off - Literally - At Country Thunder, Arizona

Universal Records South artist Joe Nichols joined the 162nd Fighter Wing of the Arizona Air National Guard for a refueling mission on Thursday, April 17th as part of the Arizona Air National Guard's partnership with Country Thunder USA. Footage of the flight will be aired at a later date on CMT Insider.

Nichols began his flight experience on Thursday at 8:30 a.m. starting off with a fitting for his personalized fighter pilot gear that included a flight suit, helmet, oxygen mask, and G-suit. After receiving his issued flight gear, he reported for simulator training to learn safety procedures for his back-seat ride. He took off in the F-16 Fighting Falcon from Tucson International Airport approximately at 1 p.m. and returned one hour later.

In addition to the F-16 flight, the Arizona Guard's 161st Air Refueling Wing in Phoenix flew numerous Country Thunder event staff and media in a KC-135 Stratotanker. Both aircraft performed an aerial refueling to further demonstrate the capabilities and teamwork within the Arizona Air National Guard.

Unread postPosted: 28 Apr 2008, 07:03
by faust
Well, this is a only-USAF/american celebrity rides, but Chavez actually flew in a FAV F-16B some years ago...

Unread postPosted: 06 May 2008, 21:21
by Lieven
The 162nd Fighter Wing flew country music recording artist Joe Nichols in an F-16 Fighting Falcon from Tucson International Airport Thursday, April 17.

Country Thunder USA performing artist Joe Nichols gets ready to board an F-16D on the flightline on April 17th, 2008. The orientation flight was organized in support of the Arizona National Guards partnership with the Country Thunder concert series that made a stop in Florence, Arizona. [ANG photo by MSgt. Dave Neve]

See: <a href="news_article2873.html">Country music star flies with Arizona Guard</a>

Unread postPosted: 14 May 2008, 08:57
by Gamera
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_%28film%29

Photo of "[Terrence] Howard preparing for the role [Iron Man (2008)] by riding an F-16 flight simulator".

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123051647

"Edwards team stars in 'Iron Man' superhero movie"

by Donna Miles
American Forces Press Service

5/2/2007 - EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. (AFNEWS) -- Edwards Air Force Base recently became a Hollywood set, as about 150 Airmen, about a dozen Marines and some of the Air Force's new aircraft shared the spotlight with Robert Downey Jr., Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow in filming Hollywood's next superhero blockbuster.

http://www.nellis.af.mil/photos/media_s ... 0&btnG.y=0

"Terence Howard visits Nellis"

Unread postPosted: 17 May 2008, 04:09
by scorpio110367
Hey asif, the 944thFW out of Luke has the 302nd FS under them not the 301st FS, they've been BRAC'ed already(944thFW/302ndFS), but they live again flying F-22's in Elmendorf, they're also one of the last Tuskeegee airman units in the AF.

Unread postPosted: 24 May 2008, 08:00
by J.J.
The Oklahoman wrote:OU assistant Heupel flies with F-16 Thunderbirds

Sat May 24, 2008
By Scott Wright, Staff Writer

Chatting with other onlookers while her husband, Oklahoma assistant football coach Josh Heupel, cruised through the air at nearly 600 miles per hour, Dawn Heupel expressed some concern about how Josh would handle a force nine times as strong as gravity.

"He doesn't even do very good on roller-coasters," she told one spectator.

Josh Heupel wouldn't come clean about whether or not he kept his lunch down during an hour-long flight with the F-16 Thunderbirds as part of the Star Spangled Salute air show Friday afternoon at Tinker Air Force Base.

Heupel laughed when asked about his wife's concerns.

"She had good reason," he said. "I don't know that there was a lot of screaming, but my stomach became unnerved a little bit in the middle of the flight."

Heupel, who was the quarterback on Oklahoma's 2000 national championship team and now works as quarterbacks coach for the Sooners, experienced all the maneuvers that the fighter jets routinely perform in air shows.

And his pilot, Air Force Major Tony Mulhare, took him to the town of Apache, just north of Lawton, to simulate an air attack.

"I like to show the people I fly what the Air Force is doing in Iraq and Afghanistan," Mulhare said. "We got a chance to pretend we were in Fallujah, Iraq, and there were some people on the ground who had been ambushed and they needed our firepower as an F-16 to get them out of their situation."

Mulhare said the flight from Tinker to Apache — about 90 miles by car — took less than eight minutes.

"It beats driving," Mulhare said.

Heupel was awarded a certificate and lapel pin for being able to sustain 9 Gs, or a force nine times as strong as gravity.

"The black hole started creeping in on me. Everything started to get dark," he said. "It was a wonderful experience, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

"There wasn't anything I was scared about. I was just hoping I'd make it through the whole flight."

Source: http://newsok.com/ou-assistant-heupel-f ... le/3248094

Unread postPosted: 15 Jul 2008, 11:13
by Lieven
Bengals placekicker Shayne Graham has been granted permission to participate in an F-16 orientation flight at the Springfield Air National Guard Base.

He'll be taken for a flight by a pilot from the 178th Fighter Wing of the Ohio Air National Guard.

The son of a Vietnam War veteran, Graham said he's always had an interest in the military, and in flying. He recently created commemorative Matt Maupin dog tags to honor the Cincinnati-area soldier who was recently pronounced killed in action in Iraq after being missing in action for four years.

Graham also makes numerous visits to veterans hospitals in Cincinnati and his native Virginia.

"I've got a reputation for people knowing I have an interest in flying," Graham said. "Basically, I asked (to fly an F-16) and through the channels of some of the people I've done a lot of military support with in the recent months, they helped me make it happen."

Source: daytondailynews.com

Unread postPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 21:11
by Tim
Bill Engvall flew with the T-Birds. He talks about it in his newest stand up routine.

See: <a href="f-16_forum_viewtopic-t-8967.html">Bill Engvall and the Thunderbirds</a>

Unread postPosted: 17 Jul 2008, 21:12
by Tim
Mario Andretti flew with a unit at Luke in the 80's (not sure exactly when)

Unread postPosted: 18 Aug 2008, 03:21
by Joemama
Boy that Popcorn machine was alsome. Add Golfer Raymond Floyed in aircraft 83-168 at Homstead I was the aircraft crew chief from 87-89

Unread postPosted: 04 Oct 2008, 00:03
by Asif
Jesse James flies with Viper West. Read Jesse James soars with Viper West

Jesse James (center) of the upcoming Spike TV series 'Jesse James is a Dead Man' prepares for an orientation flight with the Viper West F-16 demonstration team on September 18th. The flight aims to give Mr. James and his viewers a taste of the Fighting Falcon's capabilities and the Airmen who prepare it for combat. [USAF photo by James Arrowood]

Unread postPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 20:23
by mwindianapolis
What time and day will that be on?

Unread postPosted: 22 Oct 2008, 15:26
by Gamera
http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/s ... ssetid=455

9 September 2008:
KF-16B.
19th FW, ROKAF.
ROKAF 60th anniversary.
From what I can figure out from a translation site, she's Professor Lee, probably the first South Korean female astronaut. Flew for about an hour.

Unread postPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 08:33
by Gamera
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_So-yeon

YI So Yeon. First South Korean female astronaut.

Unread postPosted: 28 Oct 2008, 22:29
by Cali
Mike T has flown in one before

Unread postPosted: 08 Nov 2008, 05:32
by Gamera
http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/amxnxt/6183.html

Blog article dated 2007.12.05.

"A member of the National Defense Commission of the National Assembly on October 20, Song Young Seon, visit to the Air Force Fighter Wing 20, choesinye KF-16 fighter jets are showing on the board of thumb."

http://kr.blog.yahoo.com/pershing11111/1379906.html

Blog article dated 2007.09.24.

ROKAF KF-16 couples and their parents?

Unread postPosted: 10 Nov 2008, 16:47
by Tim
I don't know how many of you have seen "<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chopper">American Chopper</a>" But Vinnie DiMartino and Rick Petko from the show got a ride with The Boys from Syracuse

Unread postPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 11:50
by Gamera
http://www.nbc6.net/news/18235322/detai ... index.html

"S. Fla. Police Officer Takes Ride On F-16"

POSTED: 10:08 am EST December 9, 2008

MIAMI -- A South Florida police officer who has helped others get on their feet is soaring to new heights of his own.

Miami-Dade officer Ozzie Hernandez had the rare opportunity to go up in an F-16 this week.

The Air Force chose him because of his work policing the area around Homestead air reserve base.

The Air Force only chooses about 12 local citizens a year to go up in its fighter jets.

See
http://www.homestead.afrc.af.mil/shared ... 8N-003.jpg
http://www.homestead.afrc.af.mil/shared ... 8N-001.jpg
in
http://www.homestead.afrc.af.mil/photos ... leryID=691

Unread postPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 16:32
by Tim
The Air Force only chooses about 12 local citizens a year to go up in its fighter jets.

I think That is awesome! :thumb: More units should look into doing the same thing. It would shine a better light on the Air Force In their local communities. Hell, even the other braches could look into doing something similar in their localities.

Unread postPosted: 17 Dec 2008, 22:44
by Asif
[20080508-F-8564A-001] Texas Air National Guard Lt. Col. Thomas Duke, right, an F-16 instructor pilot with the 149th Fighter Wing (FW), stands in front of his F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft with his father, retired U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. and former Apollo Astronaut Charles M. Duke, Jr., after an F-16 incentive ride from Kelly Field Annex, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, May 8, 2008. Gen. Duke is visiting the 149th FW as the guest speaker at the graduation banquet honoring the recent F-16 course graduates. (Texas Air National Guard photo by Senior Master Sgt. Mike D. Arellano/Released)

[20080508-F-8564A-002] Texas Air National Guard Lt. Col. Thomas Duke, right, an F-16 instructor pilot with the 149th Fighter Wing (FW), stands in front of his F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft with his father, retired U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. and former Apollo Astronaut Charles M. Duke, Jr., after an F-16 incentive ride from Kelly Field Annex, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, May 8, 2008. Gen. Duke is visiting the 149th FW as the guest speaker at the graduation banquet honoring the recent F-16 course graduates. (Texas Air National Guard photo by Senior Master Sgt. Mike D. Arellano)

[20080508-F-8564A-003] Texas Air National Guard Lt. Col. Thomas Duke, left, an F-16 instructor pilot with the 149th Fighter Wing (FW), stands in front of his F-16 Fighting Falcon fighter aircraft with his father, retired U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. and former Apollo Astronaut Charles M. Duke, Jr., after an F-16 incentive ride from Kelly Field Annex, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, May 8, 2008. Gen. Duke is visiting the 149th FW as the guest speaker at the graduation banquet honoring the recent F-16 course graduates. (Texas Air National Guard photo by Senior Master Sgt. Mike D. Arellano)

Unread postPosted: 18 Dec 2008, 04:18
by LinkF16SimDude
8) Sweet!! Got the chance to meet both of those guys when Tom Duke was goin' thru Viper training at Tucson back in the early 90's (still a 1LT IIRC). He brought his dad to the sim for a tour. The elder Duke was kinda taken aback that I even knew who he was. "Nobody ever remembers the LM pilot!" he said sort of facetiously. :lol:

Unread postPosted: 13 Feb 2009, 13:41
by Lieven
Indian ace shooter and Olympics Gold medallist Abhinav Bindra got a ride in an F-16IN during Aero India 2009.

<a href="news_article3274.html">Abhinav Bindra flies aboard the F-16IN at Aero India 2009</a>

PS: A reporter from Indian Express got a similar ride and <a href="http://www.indianexpress.com/news/exclusive-a-roller-coaster-ride-on-a-fighter-jet/421172/0">describes it in this story</a>.

Unread postPosted: 04 Mar 2009, 10:14
by Asif
Cleveland.com wrote:Cleveland Indians Cliff Lee takes flight on Thursday, pitches on Friday
by By Paul Hoynes/Plain Dealer Reporter
Tuesday March 03, 2009, 3:44 PM

Updated 7:02 p.m.

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Last year Cliff Lee pitched himself into the wild blue yonder by winning the American League Cy Young award and becoming the Indians first 20-game winner in 34 years.

Thursday he goes into the wild blue yonder for real.

On the Indians off day, Lee will take a spin in a F-16 Fighting Falcon after filming a commercial for an air show at nearby Luke Air Force Base. Major Dan "Dutch' Munter will be Lee's pilot. Munter is an F-16 instructor.

The Indians said Lee would be shown the F-16's maneuverability and the teamwork involved in launching the aircraft. The F-16 Lee will be flying in is part of the 309th Fighter Squadron -- The Wild Ducks.

Some managers might worry about their No.1 starter joyriding in an F-16. Manager Eric Wedge is not one of them.

"I don't know those guys (pilots), but I trust those guys," said Wedge, after the Indians 9-9 10-inning Cactus League tie with Texas on Tuesday. ""We were underneath them all day today."

Jets could be heard flying over Surprise Stadium throughout the game.

"I'm OK with it," said Wedge. "I'm sure Cliff will throw up all over the place, other than that we'll see what happens."

Lee, who went 22-3 last season to win the second straight Cy Young award, is scheduled to make his first Cactus League start Friday against Milwaukee.

The Indians have been taking it easy with Lee this spring because he threw a career high 223 1/3 innings last year. They're undoubtedly hoping Major Munter does the same on Thursday.

source: http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... ee_ta.html

Unread postPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 08:33
by Asif
Cleveland.Com wrote:Not even 7G turn on F-16 flight fazes Indians pitcher Cliff Lee
by Paul Hoynes
Thursday March 05, 2009, 9:34 PM

Tribe pitcher Cliff Lee signs a baseball for Airman 1st Class Steven Pryhuber, a crew chief in the 309th Aircraft Maintenance Unit, before his F-16 flight Thursday at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. [USAF photo]

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- When Cliff Lee was offered a chance to fly in an F-16 Fighting Falcon, his wife, Kristen, secretly wished that the Indians would tell the American League Cy Young winner to keep his feet on the ground.

Kristen wasn't worried about her husband's safety.

"I wanted to go instead," she said with a laugh Thursday afternoon at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, Ariz. "I'm a daredevil."

Kristen didn't get the chance, but Lee, who will make his first Cactus League start today, did. Major Dan "Dutch" Munter took the Indians No.1 starter for an hourlong ride over Arizona.

"It was awesome," said Lee. "I'd like to do it again tomorrow, but I don't think the Indians would let me."

When Munter and Lee climbed out of the cockpit of the F-16, Munter told Lee's family and some of his fellow pilots, "He's a natural. He didn't throw up."

Lt. Gen. Dick Bethurem (USAF retired), who arranged the flight for Lee, said that 95 percent of the people who fly in a jet fighter for the first time do just that.

Bethurem owns the house that Lee and his family are renting for spring training.

"When your landlord is a three-star general," said Lee, "I guess that's a pretty good in."

Said Bethurem, a former fighter pilot who flew in Vietnam, the Gulf War and Kosovo, "This is good for the Air Force and good for Cliff. He's at the top of his profession and these pilots are at the top of theirs. I thought they'd appreciate one another."

After Lee accepted Bethurem's offer, it dawned on him that he'd better check with the Indians.

"He went to Lonnie Soloff," the head athletic trainer, said Kristen. "Lonnie told him, 'You better go see Eric Wedge.' Eric told him, 'You better see Mark Shapiro.' I don't know if they asked the Dolans, but they'll find out soon enough."

Said Lee, "Wedgie felt like I did. ... that it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

"I had no problem with it as long as he wasn't flying the jet," said Shapiro.

The nickname for Luke Air Force base is "Fighter Country." Its mission is to "train the world's greatest F-16 pilots and maintainers, while deploying mission-ready war-fighters."

To the pilots of the 309th "Wild Ducks" Fighter Squadron, Lee was safer in the cockpit of Major Munter's F-16 than he was in his own bed after a hard spring-training workout.

In the last three years, there have been three F-16 accidents in 100,000 hours of flying. That covers about 90,000 flights.

Climbing inside an F-16 is serious business. Lee arrived at the airbase at 7 a.m. Thursday. He underwent a physical.

"They wanted to make sure I wouldn't have a heart attack up there," said Lee.

Then he went through some emergency training. Like what happens if he has to eject.

"Obviously, that's a worst-case scenario," said Lee. "I've got to know what I need to do. By no means can I fly a plane now."

Munter wasn't concerned that he had a city's hopes and dreams sitting behind him while rocketing through the sky. "I just wanted to make sure he had a good time and enjoyed himself," said the pilot. "We have the utmost confidence in these planes and our maintenance. It's not something we think about."

Munter took Lee through a low-level (about 500 feet above the ground) tour of Arizona. When they reached the Barry Goldwater training range, about 40 miles south of the base, he put Lee through a 7 G-force turn. The maximum turn is 9 G, but he couldn't do it because of the hardware on the jet.

"He did great," said Munter. "He wanted to fly back to the base inverted, but I said that's against the rules."

In a 7 G-turn, the 200-pound Lee would feel seven times his body weight. "It's intense," he said. "You can't move, you can't breath."

When Lee's F-16 pulled into the hanger Thursday afternoon, Kristen and his two children, Jaxon and Maci, were waiting for him. So was his mother-in-law, Allene Martin, and his young nephew Carson. He gave them a thumbs up as the plane came to a stop.

"I thought I'd be nervous," said last year's 22-game winner. "I wasn't nervous at all. I trusted these guys to take care of things."

source: http://www.cleveland.com:80/tribe/index ... ot_ev.html

Re: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 31 Mar 2009, 09:01
by plant#4
How about Senator Barry Goldwater? in 1978, in ship number 4.....

RE: Re: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 13:26
by Asif
Pakistan Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani. See Pakistani general flies back seat in a F-16

Video 1

Video 2

Unread postPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 19:02
by yf19
Hi guys,

didn't saw this one mentioned. Stephen Colbert ride with Thunderbirds. Very funny show interview with Thunderbird Chief also in here.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... underbirds

most of the external shots are of C version probably stock footage but the ones of him inside the cockpit are funny.

Enjoy

:D

Unread postPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 07:24
by rupp05
parrothead wrote:

He was way cool when he got his ride at Mtn Home!

Unread postPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 18:55
by Shortcut
I don't want to read this hole thing again but did anyone mention Jesse James on "Jesse James is a Dead Man". NEVER MIND

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2009, 10:06
by Asif
Shortcut wrote:I don't want to read this hole thing again but did anyone mention Jesse James on "Jesse James is a Dead Man". NEVER MIND

Refer to this article Jesse James soars with Viper West

RE: Re: Celebrity Backseaters

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2009, 13:57
by Lieven
ABC 7 reporter Suzanne Kennedy got a <a href="http://www.news8.net/news/stories/0609/632430.html?ref=n8" rel="nofollow">backseat ride with the Thunderbirds</a>.

On rehearsal day Suzanne had a chance to go for a ride down at the Wallops Island, Va., NASA facility. The flight concluded a 9-G maneuver. She did not lose consciousness, unlike fellow ABC 7 reporter Brad Bell, who flew with the Blue Angels in May, 2006.

Unread postPosted: 17 Jun 2009, 15:30
by tjodalv43
yf19 wrote:Hi guys,

didn't saw this one mentioned. Stephen Colbert ride with Thunderbirds. Very funny show interview with Thunderbird Chief also in here.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... underbirds

most of the external shots are of C version probably stock footage but the ones of him inside the cockpit are funny.

That's so funny, they stenciled Sir Dr. Stephen Colbert on there! I had a feeling he wouldn't keep singing once the g's came on!

Unread postPosted: 20 Jun 2009, 17:19
by Gamera
http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/s ... ssetid=746
http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/s ... ssetid=746

"President Barack Obama is accompanied by Brig. Gen. Ted Kresge as they look at F-16 fighter jets at Nellis Air Force Base in Las Vegas, Nev., Wednesday, May 27, 2009. (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)"

Obama didn't get into any of the Vipers? To convert its callsign to Air Force One? 8D

Unread postPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 21:11
by Asif
Dayton Daily News wrote:Former OSU quarterback takes flight in F-16
By Matt Sanctis, Staff Writer
Updated 2:48 PM Friday, September 11, 2009

SPRINGFIELD — Former Ohio State quarterback Craig Krenzel already won a national championship in 2002, but he was able to fulfill another lifelong dream today, Sept. 11.

Krenzel took a flight in an F-16 fighter jet with the 162nd Fighter Squadron of the 178th Fighter Wing at the Springfield Air National Guard Base.

His pilot, Capt. Aaron “SCAT” Wildman, said the flight would last about an hour. Wildman, an Ohio State University graduate, started the O-H-I-O chant before taking off.

source: http://www.daytondailynews.com/former-o ... 94763.html

Unread postPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 22:57
by Bushmaster78FS
I decided to become a celebrity.

Unread postPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 00:43
by LinkF16SimDude
He gets a ride after "a casual conversation" with a Chief on a cruise? Iesu Christo! I chatted up SNCOs and First Shirts for years and that never worked for me! 'Course.....I....never played for the Buckeyes either. :wink:

Unread postPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 00:56
by Bushmaster78FS
I am going to become an Army pilot, even that doesn't sound like it would work, I gotta start on banging Congress' doors, either to get a ride, maybe from my home state :) or to stop this celebrity nonsense... :twisted:

Unread postPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 02:50
by jbgator
Crystal Gayle flew just after I left the B-course at Macdill so that would have been late 1983. I can't remember his name but one of our favorite IPs had a daughter with cancer (I think, or some other major health problem) and she loved Crystal. She wrote to Crystal and the family was flown up to a concert on Crystal's private plane so her Dad got Crystal to come down for an F-16 ride. I heard they had a time with her hair and just put it down the back inside her flight suit.

I remember meeting Dan Marino at Daytona 500 when I was working a flyby and inviting him down to visit us at Homestead but don't remember him taking me up on it...maybe after I left in 2002.

We flew Dave Barry at Homestead in ~1995 who got sick not too long after take off, was miserable thereafter, and did not want to do anything when they got to the area so just flew him back home...he was real green when he got back and could not get away in his car fast enough. But he wrote one of his articles about it. Focusing on the barf.

I never flew any celebrities but I flew hundreds of incentive riders and they were all celebrities to me. My favorite was a five foot tall female crew-chief at Luke that kept wanting to do 9 Gs. After the second 9+ G turn I told her I had had enough. Later at Luke I flew a big burly weapons loader who had an experience similar to Dave Barry and didn't want to do anything.

Generally we preferred to fly the folks who fixed em instead of celebrities so most Celebs were just visits and sit in the cockpit. Too many of those to count. Lots of race car drivers at Homestead because of the speedway. Got to be good friends with Dario Franchitti when he was driving for Team Kool Green and raced his car around our flight line. It was cool till he turned down between the jets and we were just cringing in case he lost it and smashed millions of $$$ of car into millions of $$$ of Vipers.

Probably if I thought harder I could remember some more who actually flew but too many brain cells have been sacrificed on Friday nights.

Celebrity Rides

Unread postPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 08:16
by MakoWes
How about when the local Miami weather girl Jackie Johnson got a ride a Homestead?

Re: Celebrity Rides

Unread postPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 02:33
by Scorpion1alpha
Asif wrote:Image

Cliff Lee: "Do you want one of my balls?"

A1C: "Uh, no thanks."

Unread postPosted: 13 Sep 2009, 04:58
by Siesta
How about that Thundebirds hometown "Heroes" program? A couple state troopers.. a teacher...firefighter.. and also Jeff Skyles (Co Pilots on USAIR 1549).

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 09:24
by Asif
Ohio National Guard Public Affairs wrote:Former Ohio State University Quarterback Receives F-16 Familiarization Flight
Story by Senior Master Sgt. Joseph Stahl
Date: 09.17.2009
Posted: 09.17.2009 04:16

SPRINGFIELD, Ohio - Former Ohio State University quarterback Craig Krenzel received an F-16 familiarization flight Sept. 11 at the 178th Fighter Wing.

This flight fulfilled a childhood dream of Krenzel's to fly in an Air Force fighter aircraft.

"When I was a kid growing up, all I ever wanted to do was to be a fighter pilot," said Krenzel.

The day of his flight began with a flight physical and egress training in life support. His flight followed, which lasted for approximately one hour.

After his vertical takeoff, Krenzel enjoyed the view on a clear day.

"My flight was awesome. I had a great time. It was a dream come true," Krenzel said after his flight. Krenzel appreciates military servicemembers and gives back whenever he can,
he said.

Springfield Airmen were encouraged to meet Krenzel after the flight. Krenzel spent the remainder of the day signing autographs and OSU memorabilia as well as socializing with Springfield Airmen.

Krenzel and the 2002 Ohio State football team defeated Miami University, Fla., in a double-overtime national championship game.

source: http://www.dvidshub.net/?script=news/ne ... p&id=38936

Unread postPosted: 18 Sep 2009, 18:27
by LinkF16SimDude
Now I'm confused. I thought Springfield lost all their Block 30 jets to BRAC and the only ones there now were the Dutch MLU jets. Did I not get a memo or somethin'? :shrug: How many of their B30s are left? Paging Dr. Melampy!

Unread postPosted: 21 Sep 2009, 03:03
by firefmabv
Aaron Baddelley (golfer) and Tom Lehman (1996 British Open winner) => 309th FS at Luke 2004.

Unread postPosted: 06 Nov 2009, 18:40
by Gamera
Other South Koreans who recently get to load themselves into the back seat of an USAF Thunderbirds F-16:

http://kr.news.yahoo.com/service/news/s ... setid=1352

KIM Kook Jin, who's an actor, comedian, and TV presenter, I guess?
(http://www.hancinema.net/korean_Kim_Gook-jin.php)

KIM Sung Min, who's an actor, I guess?
(http://www.hancinema.net/korean_Kim_Sung-min.php)

BTW, the patch on the left side on the chest of the flight suit actually reads "THUNDERBIRD CELEBRITY".

Unread postPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 14:44
by Jon
LinkF16SimDude wrote:Now I'm confused. I thought Springfield lost all their Block 30 jets to BRAC and the only ones there now were the Dutch MLU jets. Did I not get a memo or somethin'? :shrug: How many of their B30s are left? Paging Dr. Melampy!

I know not directed at me, but they were in the process of losing there F-16s. BRAC in their close look at which bases to shut down didn't realize that the 162nd FS was indeed a training squadron. So the decision was reversed but for how long?

Unread postPosted: 07 Nov 2009, 15:49
by JakeMelampy
Jon wrote:I know not directed at me, but they were in the process of losing there F-16s. BRAC in their close look at which bases to shut down didn't realize that the 162nd FS was indeed a training squadron. So the decision was reversed but for how long?

Last Ohio jets will be gone in June 2010.

Jake

Unread postPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 11:31
by Gamera
http://connect2utah.com/content/fulltext/?cid=61432

"Happy Veteran's Day. Watch Casey's (aka "Goldielocks'") flight in an F-16."

Wednesday, Nov 11, 2009 @09:23am CST

(Video, 3 min 29 sec.
I don't know who he is, either.)

Unread postPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 13:13
by Siesta
Kirk Herbstreit and Desmond Howard on ESPN college gameday last weekend both flew back seat F-15Es at the Air Force Academy. I think with the 391st Bold Tigers.

Unread postPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 13:18
by fiskerwad

Unread postPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 14:16
by Gamera
[quote="fiskerwad"]http://connect2utah.com/content/casey_scott/fulltext/?cid=33180[/quote]

"Thank you, Mister Spock."

Unread postPosted: 27 Nov 2009, 16:31
by Gamera
Goodell's boots better be made for climbing

The Associated Press

ATOP MOUNT RAINIER, Wash. -- So, Roger Goodell, you say you're ready to climb Mount Rainier after training harder than most 50-year-olds ever do.

Well, Mr. NFL Commissioner, you better be.

Meanwhile, Goodell isn't some desk jockey hoping Viesturs installs an elevator to pull him up Rainier. He flew in an F-16 with the Air Force's Thunderbirds the day before the Super Bowl last February. League spokesman Greg Aiello says Goodell "is the greatest water skier in the history of sports commissioners."

Source: http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2 ... e-climbing

Unread postPosted: 27 Nov 2009, 20:13
by usafdgaf
Vypergrl wrote:Carrot Top also got a ride in a Viper. He flew with my unit Richmond's 192 FW Virginia Air Nat. Guard. I heard that his brother flies...don't know if that's true or not.

I met Carrot Top a few years back at a bar in Vegas. His brother is a Viper driver, he said he was stationed at Luke but I don't know if he still is or not.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jan 2010, 11:28
by Gamera
Kragthorpe: Watson of Old could make this British Open unforgettable

Date: 07/19/2009
By Kurt Kragthorpe
Tribune Columnist

Two weeks before his 50th birthday, Tom Watson stood next to an F-16 Fighting Falcon on a Hill Air Force Base runway with a childlike eagerness regarding what awaited for him. "If the ride's anything like the anticipation," he said, "it'll be a hell of a ride."

Source: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12867209

Unread postPosted: 30 Jan 2010, 06:35
by Weasel_Keeper
For IndyCar race fans, Panther Racing team owner John Barnes received a ride in November 09 in 85-1573 from the 122FW in Ft Wayne, IN.

IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon was supposed to get a ride, but since he's not an American citizen they wouldn't let him go.

Panther Racing's major sponsor is the National Guard.

Source: http://www.pantherracing.com/news/index.cfm?cid=24400

Pictures here:
http://www.pantherracing.com/multimedia ... m?gid=2332

Unread postPosted: 31 Jan 2010, 15:38
by Asif
Pro Rodeo Cowboy Association rider Josh 'Jack Daniels' Peek gives the 'thumbs-up' that he is buckled in and ready just prior to his F-16 orientation flight at Buckley Air Force Base, January 8, 2010. (U.S. Air Force photo/Master Sgt. John Nimmo, Sr.)

Unread postPosted: 23 Feb 2010, 22:48
by Lieven
NASCAR’s Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup Racer David Ragan will strap into the back of a U.S. Air Force Thunderbird F-16C Fighting Falcon on Thursday Feb 25th.

The 2007 Rookie of the Year for the Nationwide Series is in town to race during the weekend’s Shelby American NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

Ragan will arrive at Nellis Air Force Base to begin flight equipment training at 10:45 a.m. and will go through a series of briefings and training prior to taking to the sky in the Air Force’s multi-role fighter. Take-off is slated for 2:30 p.m. and the flight should last about 45 minutes.

The Thunderbirds are scheduled to perform a flyover Sunday during the opening ceremonies for the Sprint Cup Series.

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 23:46
by mary987
Jesse James from West Coast Choppers

Unread postPosted: 25 Feb 2010, 23:59
by Asif
mary987 wrote:Jesse James from West Coast Choppers

Refer to Jesse James soars with Viper West

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_forum_viewtopi ... t-210.html

Unread postPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 21:54
by fullcolored
MATMACWC wrote:Tom Cruise did indeed get a F-16 from the 36th Fighter Squadron at Osan AB, ROK. The person giving the ride (sts) told Tom that the Fiends needed a new popcorn machine and a few months later a 12,000 dollar popcorn machine showed up thanks to him.....

now I know why I will never take a ride!!! i cannot afford such a kind of present:(

I can only offer a good plate of carbonara spaghetti.

ok for the deal, guys?

Unread postPosted: 27 Feb 2010, 06:51
by Weasel_Keeper
Lieven wrote:NASCAR’s Nationwide Series and Sprint Cup Racer David Ragan will strap into the back of a U.S. Air Force Thunderbird F-16C Fighting Falcon on Thursday Feb 25th.

The 2007 Rookie of the Year for the Nationwide Series is in town to race during the weekend’s Shelby American NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

Ragan will arrive at Nellis Air Force Base to begin flight equipment training at 10:45 a.m. and will go through a series of briefings and training prior to taking to the sky in the Air Force’s multi-role fighter. Take-off is slated for 2:30 p.m. and the flight should last about 45 minutes.

The Thunderbirds are scheduled to perform a flyover Sunday during the opening ceremonies for the Sprint Cup Series.

Stupid clarification....Ragan can't possibly strap into the back of an F-16C...just because. ;) Gotta love the press. :)

Unread postPosted: 05 Mar 2010, 11:40
by Gamera
A ride-along on an F-16 with Atlantic City Air Show's U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds

August 19, 2009, 8:29AM

By Katherine Santiago - The Star-Ledger

ATLANTIC CITY -- The black cloud rolled in on me, swirling from the edges of my vision toward center, threatening to overwhelm me.

[...]

Source: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/0 ... h_atl.html

Unread postPosted: 09 Apr 2010, 23:44
by Asif
178th FW wrote:Pro motorcycle riders get orientation flights in Gulfport

by Staff Sgt. Tina Maddock
178 FW Public Affairs

3/11/2010 - GULFPORT MISS. -- "I can remember as a child, whenever the troops were deployed or came out for training, the F-4 Phantom shaking the windows in my house really early in the morning," said Josh Hayes. "I spent hours standing at the fence at the end of the flightline watching the planes," Mr. Hayes said.

For some, the desire to be a pilot comes at an early age. After watching the F-4 Phantom and later F-16 Fighting Falcon take off and land near his home, which was located a quarter-mile away from Gulfport Combat Readiness Training Center, Miss., Mr. Hayes said he had a desire to fly.

Mr. Hayes and his wife, Melissa Paris-Hayes, professional motorcycle riders, got what Mrs. Paris-Hayes called "the chance of a lifetime" Feb. 17 when they were able to take orientation flights in F-16s and learn about the mission of the Air National Guard and 178th Fighter Wing.

Maj. Bernie Willis, an instructor pilot for the 178 FW, said Mr. Hayes's position as a top premier rider in the super-bike class, a National Guard-sponsored series, and Mrs. Paris-Hayes's position as the fastest woman riding a road race machine in the United States is part of what brings the couple the notoriety to qualify for an orientation flight.

There is more to an orientation flight than just flying, however, participants must be trained and qualified.

In order to be a backseat passenger in an F-16, each had to get fitted for equipment, complete egress training, cockpit familiarization training, go over emergency procedures, and get cleared by the flight surgeon, said Major Willis.

"They come away knowing that not only is the ground training difficult, the air training is difficult... they also got a chance to talk to some of the maintenance folks to get an understanding of just how much work goes into the aircraft," said Major Willis.

"The training they gave us just to sit in the back seat gives you an appreciation for how hard everyone is working, and how hard what they do is," said Mrs. Paris-Hayes.

Prior to the flight there was an issue with the jet that Mrs. Paris-Hayes was set to ride in. "When Melissa's aircraft broke," said Major Willis, "she got to see how quickly those guys can come out clear a possible problem and get the plane to blast off and go fly."

Those who qualify for F-16 orientation flights get a chance to have an experience few others can share.

"I got to do something that I've dreamed about since childhood," said Mr. Hayes. "I was told pretty early that I didn't have good eyesight and that it would be a limiting factor in me becoming a pilot," said Mr. Hayes. "I think I found the next best thing, which was racing a motorcycle."

Not only do orientation flights provide a chance to make dreams come true, but they also have the ability to spread the mission of the 178 FW and the ANG.

"These guys in particular are around a crowd of young people daily that they can spread the word to; a lot of the recruiting we do in the Guard is because of word of mouth," said Major Willis. "The people they are typically around are highly-motivated, very well hand-eye coordinated, typically in very good shape and they are perfect candidates for the military," Major Willis said.

For the 178 FW, the ability to attract recruits and fulfill dreams is a benefit the Air National Guard receives from giving orientation flights. These flights are often a once-in-a-lifetime experience for the riders and a valuable tool for the 178th.

source: http://www.178fw.ang.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123194441

Photo Caption: From left to right Melissa Paris, Professional motorcycle roadracer, Lieutenant Colonel Zane Brown, Major Bernie Willis, 178th Fighter Wing, Springfield, Ohio, and Profesional motorcycle roadracer Josh Hayes congragulate each other after an orientation flight in a F-16 Fighting Falcon at Gulfport Combat Readiness Training Facility, Gulfport, Mississippi, 17 February 2010.

Unread postPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 21:10
by Asif
Super Bowl XLIV champions Drew Brees and Jabari Greer of the NFL's New Orleans Saints flew with he Thunderbirds on April 23rd. See Thunderbirds fly Super Bowl champions

Lt. Col. Derek Routt, operations officer for the USAF Air Demonstration Squadron 'Thunderbirds', describes the features of the F-16D to New Orleans Saints Quarterback Drew Brees prior to an orientation flight on April 23rd, 2010. [USAF photo by SSgt. Richard Rose]

Unread postPosted: 27 Apr 2010, 21:19
by JakeMelampy
Is that a Weapons School patch on his shoulder??

Unread postPosted: 28 Apr 2010, 20:14
by Asif
Luke Air Force Base wrote:U.S. Olympic medallists visit Luke
by 2nd Lt. Ryan DeCamp
56th Fighter Wing Public Affairs

4/23/2010 - LUKE AIR FORCE BASE, Ariz. -- Four members of the U.S. Olympic team who medaled in the recent Winter Games in Vancouver visited Luke Air Force Base April 15 and 16. The trip brought the Olympians to the West Valley to meet Luke's Airmen and see activities the base performs each day.

The team U.S.A. Olympians included mogul skiers Shannon Bahrke and Bryon Wilson along with bobsledding teammates Curtis Tomasevicz and Steve Mesler.

Tomasevicz and Mesler represented half of team "Night Train" who won the United States' first gold medal in the four-man bobsled since 1948. Wilson earned the bronze in the moguls in Vancouver, as did Bahrke. Her bronze medal was her second trip to the podium in the Olympics. She took the silver at Salt Lake City in the same event in 2002.

Their visit began April 15 with trips to the F-16 simulators, a military working dog demonstration, the explosive ordnance disposal team in action and a workout with military members to round out the day.

April 16 included a ride for each Olympian in a Luke F-16 Fighting Falcon and a warrior call where each medalist spoke to and answered questions from more than 400 base members in attendance.

"I want to thank you guys for what you do, and you make us proud everyday," Mesler said. "Hopefully for just one, five-minute period on Feb. 27, Curt and I made you proud and two weeks before Shannon and Bryon made you proud. If we could give you that it makes it all worth it for us."

Some of the other topics at the gathering Friday afternoon included what it felt like to compete on the worlds' stage and what inspires them to compete.

"After I won my medal in '02, that really gave me the fuel to go through the next eight years of my career, through the injuries," Bahrke said. "To know that feeling when you step up on that podium and represent your country and see your flag being raised is one of the greatest honors an athlete can ever have, so for me that was huge inspiration."

"A lot of times my inspiration is the American people, such as the men and women like yourselves," Mesler said. "We put on our uniform and it has U.S.A. written on it and a lot of times when you put something on everyday you get used to seeing it and you kind of forget it's the United States of America. When I think about that sometimes and the people in my hometown, all the things they've done for me to be here even though they know I'm going to get all the glory, really keeps me going.

Wilson, 22, stood as the youngest member of the quartet and began his comments to the crowd about how his experience went at Luke.

"The past couple days have been a pretty cool experience being able to be here and see what you do," he said. "I landed on an F-16 an hour ago and that was amazing, incredible. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced. Compared to mogul skiing it's fast and it's brutal, but it was fun."

Mesler commented on how his experience competing in the bobsled is similar to what he saw at Luke during his tour.

"There are four of us on our team, so we have to build camaraderie for us to be able to go into battle together," he said. "At the same time we have a coaching staff, we have office managers, we have all these people, but it's amazing that it's exactly the same environment in a completely different world at Luke. We're bobsledders and the work you do is so much more important than what we do, but in our world it parallels so well."

source: http://www.luke.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123201339

Unread postPosted: 05 May 2010, 19:01
by Asif
An archive photo.

Unread postPosted: 05 May 2010, 19:58
by Siesta
JakeMelampy wrote:Is that a Weapons School patch on his shoulder??

I'm surprised you asked that since you been to Nellis - its the 57th Wing Patch. The FWS patch has the similar bullseye design but says graduate and Weapons School tabs.

Unread postPosted: 15 May 2010, 18:37
by Asif
140th Wing Flies United States Senator Mark Udall.

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2010, 20:31
by kori
Add Chris Angel to the list, he got a ride from the T-birds.
Also Tom is a genuinely nice guy (from what i can see).

I think a lot of it plays into his scientology beliefs, he believes
he needs to help everyone he can.

And if theres 1 thing all Americans can agree on, its supporting our troops,
so I guess it would be kind of a dick move for Tom to just forget about it, ya know?

Although i woulda hit him up for an entertainment center, BUT thats just me ;]

Unread postPosted: 18 May 2010, 23:04
by Asif
NHRA Drag Racing wrote:Brown takes 'ride of his life' in F-16 with famed Thunderbirds
Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Antron Brown is accustomed to speed. The former college track star and 24-time NHRA winner has built a career around forward momentum. Whether on two or four wheels, Brown has made his name known as one of the more successful drivers in NHRA Drag Racing.

On Tuesday, April 20, Brown traded his 7,000-horsepower Don Schumacher Racing-prepared Matco Tools/U.S. Army Top Fuel dragster for a flight suit and a ride in a Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcon made famous by the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds. The former rider of the U.S. Army Pro Stock Motorcycle Suzuki took the ride of his life with Capt. Kristin “Mother” Hubbard, advance pilot/narrator of the No. 8 Thunderbirds F-16.

“It was an incredible experience to fly with the Thunderbirds and Kristin, aka 'Mother,' ” Brown said. “When we took off, it was slower than my dragster, but once we pulled back and went straight up in the air and pulled 6 Gs, I had never felt anything like that in my life. I felt pressure all over my body even wearing the G suit.

“Kristin did an awesome job of flying us and keeping me right and tight during the flight. We flew upside down and did turns and went straight up and all these maneuvers that I couldn’t even imagine. When I was a little kid growing up, I always wanted to race Top Fuel cars and fly a figther jet, and now I can say I’ve done both. I feel very fortunate and want to thank [Tech. Sgt.] Randy Redman for making my dream come true.”

After completing his preflight physical and safety briefing with Hubbard, Capt. and Flight Surgeon Thomas Bowden, and Flight Equipment Technician Tech. Sgt. Sang Lee, the Matco Tools flagship driver and Hubbard took off from Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. Brown’s dragster reaches nearly 5 G forces during a 1,000-foot blast; during his ride with Hubbard, the duo hit 9.5 Gs, or the pressure of nearly 10 times the weight of their bodies.

“When we did a 90-degree, banked turn and pulled 9.5 Gs, I did everything in my power to stay conscious,” Brown said. “I did all the proper breathing techniques they taught me, and it worked. No, I didn’t throw up, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I was nauseous. It really felt like I did 500 straight situps.

“I would have to say that it was one of the best experiences I’ve done in my life. That’s the closest thing that gives me the same type of rush as racing our DSR Top Fuel dragster. It’s right up there with jumping out of an airplane with the Army’s Golden Knights. I did that a few years back, and that was awesome too.”

Brown, 34, ranks fourth in the 2010 NHRA Top Fuel standings with two No. 1 qualifying positions and three final-round appearances this season. He has 24 wins, eight in Top Fuel and 16 in Pro Stock Motorcycle, and 23 poles. He is the only driver in NHRA history to win races and lead the standings in both Top Fuel and Pro Stock Motorcycle.

“I have a current relationship with the U.S. Army, and a ‘hooah’ to all our Army Strong soldiers,” Brown said. “It’s great to represent the Army and all our current brave active-duty military and retired members of the U.S. Armed Forces. All of us at DSR thank them for everything they do and have done for our great nation. After flying with the Thunderbirds, I have a newfound respect for what they and the Air Force do and the skill and physical attributes it takes to pilot an F-16. And not just the pilots, but the entire 130-person support staff for the Thunderbirds.”

Brown with Capt. Kristin “Mother” Hubbard, advance pilot/narrator of the No. 8 Thunderbirds F-16.

source: http://www.nhra.com/story/2010/5/18/bro ... nderbirds/

Unread postPosted: 19 May 2010, 01:44
by outlaw162
9 point 5 ?

Things have changed.

OL

(Do they have a 9.5 G pin now? Does "rate"-ing the limiter count?)

Unread postPosted: 30 May 2010, 17:12
by Gamera
http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2010/ ... ds_052810/

"Hero teacher flies with Thunderbirds"

Posted : Friday May 28, 2010 15:37:01 EDT
By Brian Kalish - Staff writer

A teacher who tackled a suspected gunman outside a suburban Denver school took to the skies with the Thunderbirds on May 23 as part of their Hometown Hero program.

Unread postPosted: 14 Jun 2010, 17:42
by dfischer
While at the 474th at Nellis, Lee Greenwood flew the back seat of the 430th family model and put on an impromptu concert afterwards in the hangar.

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2010, 08:20
by Gamera
http://mytown.asahi.com/areanews/aomori ... 20588.html

2 July 2010:
Mayor of Misawa City, Taneichi Kazumasa, becomes "one-day commander" of Misawa AB, wears 16 kg flight suit, rides in back seat of F-16, but doesn't fly.

Unread postPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 16:29
by Asif
Crew chief TSgt. Kevin Southworth straps in Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson prior to an F-16 orientation flight on July 22, 2010.

The flight was arranged as a way of recognizing the Packers organization for everything they've done for the 115 FW and the men and women of all services. [USAF photo]

Unread postPosted: 20 Oct 2010, 09:50
by posterboys
Awesome pictures,is that above one Harrison Ford.
postergods(dot)com

Unread postPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 16:20
by Gamera
http://forum.koreandramas.net/topic/3498/

Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007

"I think Jung Sei Jin, aka Seijin-shi here, deserves a thread here."

"Seijin-shi is the only Korean woman who flied with KF-16 fighter aircraft. F-16 assembled in Korea is called KF-16."

http://www.defence.co.kr/bbs/bbs.cgi?db ... &num=16623

Unread postPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 19:42
by discofishing
How does letting celebrities, politicians, and sports stars ride in fighter jets support the troops? If we wanna support the troops, how about letting THEM ride in the aircraft. I know there are incentive rides and all that, but I think it's time the TROOPS get to be the VIPs. In my book, they are Very Important People.

Unread postPosted: 23 Oct 2010, 21:28
by LinkF16SimDude
discofishing wrote:How does letting celebrities, politicians, and sports stars ride in fighter jets support the troops? If we wanna support the troops, how about letting THEM ride in the aircraft. I know there are incentive rides and all that, but I think it's time the TROOPS get to be the VIPs. In my book, they are Very Important People.

I'm with ya 100% on that! :thumb: But I can also see some of the reasoning for the civilians getting rides. Certain business leaders can have an impact on programs that support troop morale and welfare. Others may be given rides in return for doing morale trips for deployed forces. The congressional weenies of course get 'em cause they hold the purse strings. The Press Pukes? Welllll...ya gotta have good PR I guess. But I'd put any enlisted troop in a pit before all those people any day so they can see that everyone in the Wing, even the most basic enlisted, has a role in making that jet an effective asset.

Unread postPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 03:33
by discofishing
I'm kind of bitter about the whole situation. I spent about 8 years working on Apaches and never once flew in them. My unit was going to start a program that allowed experienced NCOs to do maintenance test flights, but some douche bag general blew that idea out of the water. At least I got as much simulator time as I wanted.

Unread postPosted: 25 Oct 2010, 15:41
by yakuza
discofishing,with all my respect,you will never have the "weight" of a celebrity/politician,when it comes to defend the military cause on PR matters,and lobby for them on TV,in the senat/congress etc(remember all the TV spots after 9/11)...it´s frustrating for the men in uniform,sure,but the effect on media requires such things.
just like don corleone with the baker :lol:

Unread postPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 03:21
by codeonemagazine
Since I started this topic many moons ago, send Code One Magazine photos of celebrities that have flown in backseat of F-16 and I will create a gallery on our website once I have ten or so. Go to the website for an email address. Thanks!

Unread postPosted: 26 Oct 2010, 05:30
by discofishing
discofishing,with all my respect,you will never have the "weight" of a celebrity/politician,when it comes to defend the military cause on PR matters,and lobby for them on TV,in the senat/congress etc(remember all the TV spots after 9/11)...it´s frustrating for the men in uniform,sure,but the effect on media requires such things.
just like don corleone with the baker

Well, obviously the celebrities/politicians didn't have as much weight as once thought, because the future of American tactical air power rests in aircraft that don't have backseats (ie F-35 and F-22). The PR effort will have to adapt; perhaps it will taken on a more sincere and meaningful approach.

Unread postPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 01:16
by stilesf-35

Shoulda asked him for a couple new planes :)

Unread postPosted: 02 Nov 2010, 01:53
by maddog2840
Lee Greenwood got one from the 313th TFS while we were TDY to Zaragoza. 1988 0r 89.

Unread postPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 18:41
by Gamera
http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=25738&mid=2

PAULA CREAMER SOARS ABOVE SITE OF U.S. WOMEN'S OPEN WIN

After her hard-fought victory at the U.S. Women's Open in July [2010], it was fitting that Paula Creamer's return visit to the Pittsburgh area last week included a celebratory fly by over the site of her first major championship victory in an F-16 fighter jet.

Lee Greenwood

Unread postPosted: 03 Nov 2010, 19:18
by dfischer
maddog2840 wrote:Lee Greenwood got one from the 313th TFS while we were TDY to Zaragoza. 1988 0r 89.

He also got one from the 430th TFS at Nellis in the late 80's. He did an impromptu singing of God Bless The USA afterwards in one of the hangars. Good Show!

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2010, 01:02
by tbarlow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1a04JcPUQ

Dont know if this was posted here or not, but here is Jerry Reed talking about his F-16 ride at Misawa. I just wish he could have said what happened at 18,000 feet...

Enjoy

Unread postPosted: 19 Nov 2010, 06:32
by LinkF16SimDude
:lol: Surprised he didn't write a song about it. He was known for doin' that.

Unread postPosted: 26 Nov 2010, 15:41
by Scanor
Not maby a celeberty, but the Norwegian Prime minister got an incentive ride today. 26 nov 2010

He was flown from Rygge AB south of Oslo to Orland AB outside of Trondheim on a a two hour long flight kriss crossing Central Norway mountin regions and coastline.

The pilot Lt Col Hans Ole "Sandy" Sandnes the CO of 338 "Tiger" sqd based at Ørland AB.

The Jet was F-16BM 80-3692 "692" One of the two RNoAF vipers with Tiger decor. Callsign for the flight was a formation of three jets (the other two of wich I don't know the tail/sn of). Formation Callsign was "TigerBlack" , one often used by 338sqd and "692" was nbr 2 in the formation and thus called "TigerBlack 2"

Norwegian press link (Norwegian text)

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/arti ... d=10011967

Unread postPosted: 26 Nov 2010, 22:45
by labrador
I don't think demonstration flights for heads of state classify as "incentive" rides. Maintainers and crew chiefs get incentive rides as a reward. Heads of state rides others reasons, although I'm sure it was a pleasure for Mr Stoltenberg too.

Unread postPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 16:45
by TreadHead
Those of you in the Chicagoland area will know this one:

Roe Conn, a radio host / comedian on 890 WLS-AM has been up for a spin with the Thunderbirds.

Unread postPosted: 23 Jan 2011, 05:11
by Gamera
Balad Air Froce Base wrote:Race fans meet legends
by Senior Airman Tong Duong
332nd Air Expeditionary Wing Public Affairs

1/18/2011 - JOINT BASE BALAD, Iraq -- Deep rumbling of engines revving-up shook the ground as Indianapolis 500 winners Mario Andretti, Al Unser Jr. and Johnny Rutherford took up pole positions along the flightline during an Indy 500 Centennial tour Jan. 17.

The drivers were watching a pair of F-16 Viper jets take off while touring the base. The visit was part of a 10-day Armed Forces Entertainment morale tour of U.S. bases in Europe and the Middle East and to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Indianapolis 500. IZOD IndyCar Series team owner Sarah Fisher, Firestone Indy Lights race winner Martin Plowman and de Ferran Dragon Racing driver Davey Hamilton were part of the group as well.

Mario Andretti, one of the most successful Americans in the history of auto racing, said he appreciates the chance to visit with Airmen.

"It is a privilege to come here and hopefully bring a little cheer from home," Andretti said. "We enforce the fact that America thinks of and appreciates what you are doing."

Andretti is one of two drivers to win races in Formula One, IndyCar, World Sportscar Championship and NASCAR.

After watching the Vipers take flight, Andretti, who's flown in an F-15 Eagle, F-16 Viper and F-111 Aardvark, remarked on the aircraft as an amazing piece of machinery and the closest thing to a race car.

"The race car is strictly a purpose machine and not a derivative of anything," he said. "It (is built to) win races and go as fast as possible, like (the F-16) when it comes back and it's cleaned up with no more (missiles) on the wings, you know it's done some damage out there."

Staff Sgt. Donald Slayton, 332nd Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron F-16 dedicated crew chief deployed from Misawa Air Base, Japan, had the chance to the meet the legendary drivers during the tour.

"I'm a huge fan and have been around racing my whole life," the Gainesville, Fla., native said. "I was dead-set on being here when I found out they were coming. I love racing."

Sergeant Slayton, who convinced a coworker to cover his position at work so he could be at the event, was excited to meet Sarah Fisher, the first woman to stand on the podium during an IndyCar event. She was the third-place finisher in 2000 at the Kentucky Speedway.

"I like to see female drivers giving the guys competition on the tracks, which is kind of awesome," he said.

Fisher retired from racing last year and is the youngest woman to compete in the Indianapolis 500 at age 19.

Before parting to meet and greet with Airmen and race fans at Sustainer Theater, Andretti said he was impressed with the quality of people involved in the military.

"I've said it a thousand times and I will always repeat it. I feel that (servicemembers in the) military are the most noble and professional on the planet, and all of you should be proud of that," he said. "We get thanked a lot for coming over, but it should be the other way around. I thank you for being here, so...godspeed to all of you."

source: http://www.balad.afcent.af.mil/news/sto ... =123238603

Unread postPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 17:39
by Gamera
http://www.nascar.com/news/110210/dearn ... ctions-10/

Elliott, Burton, Labonte remember NASCAR's dark day, share thoughts on life

February 10, 2011 2:39 PM, EST

On Nov. 24, 1987, Elliott was a passenger in an Air Force F-16 when it clipped a Georgia Air National Guard F-16 in the skies over Jefferson County, Ga.
While Elliott and his pilot landed safely at Dobbins Air Force Base in Marietta, Ga., the pilot of the F-16 was forced to eject.
The incident left an indelible impression on Elliott, who had been, quite literally, just along for the ride.

Unread postPosted: 11 Feb 2011, 22:50
by LinkF16SimDude
On Nov. 24, 1987, Elliott was a passenger in an Air Force F-16 when it clipped a Georgia Air National Guard F-16 in the skies over Jefferson County, Ga....

That was an F-15 that Elliot's Viper clipped. Typo? Maybe. Did NASCAR fact check before publishing? Hardly. :roll:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A961948260

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 02:36
by Gamera
Tata takes to the skies again

BANGALORE, February 11, 2011

The Tata Group chairperson looked composed as he was briefed by the company officials before take-off.
Mr. Tata, who holds a commercial pilot's licence, had flown a Lockheed Martin F-16 during the sixth Aero India show in 2007.
“It was a great experience. Compared to the last flight, there was not much of a change but [it] felt better [this time],” Mr. Tata said.

Source: http://www.thehindu.com/news/article1328043.ece

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 06:09
by LinkF16SimDude
I can see him walkin' into a board meeting proudly sporting his name patch: Ratan "Bodacious" Tata. :wink:

From the article:

The Super Hornet belongs to the United States Air Force, and comes from VFA 106 Squadron stationed at Oceania in Virginia.
Oh really?! :lol:

The spokesperson said Mr. Tata could not fly in the 2009 air show as he had a busy schedule, but agreed to fly this time.
"Owwwww!!! Stop twisting my arm! I'll fly! I'll fly already!! Jeeez!!" :P

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 15:43
by darkvarkguy
The same Tata that bought Jaguar/Land Rover automobile company?

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 22:18
by jmfletch
Edward James Almos, Homestead, 306th

Unread postPosted: 12 Feb 2011, 23:43
by Asif
The Times of India wrote:Flying F-16 easier than disobeying dad: Shahid
Sruthy Susan Ullas, TNN, Feb 13, 2011, 02.48am IST

BANGALORE: Eating a banana and laughing loudly leaning on the verandah railings, Shahid Kapoor looked at ease in the dark green jumpsuit even minutes before he was to enter the F-16. After all, he has been doing it for the past one year for his latest movie Mausam, with Sonam Kapoor.

The Bollywood hero was at the aero show on Saturday and took a ride on a Lockheed Martin F-16 super viper. After a flight that lasted almost an hour, complete with complicated manoeuvres, he came out all smiles and athumbs-up sign, to be greeted by his fans and dad, Pankaj Kapoor.

Shahid arrived in a black and green outfit at around 2.15pm to the Lockheed Martin stall. Having changed into the jumpsuit with a helmet in hand, he addressed the media as aircraft flew in the background.

"Dad is directing a movie (Mausam) in which I am playing the role of an air force officer. I am trying to gain as much experience as I can for it. The producer and dad were keen that I get first-hand experience," he said.

"It was unbelievable. The experience could not be defined, it needs to be felt. We were on a mission. We went upto 10,000 feet and then the pilot let me hold the stick. We did dog fights and took a 360 degree turn. We went upto 6G, where we feel six times our body weight," he said.

"This is a privilege, a prestigious opportunity that civilians will not get. I think I am the first Indian actor to fly an F-16," he said.

When asked whether he was scared before getting into the aircraft, he said, "I think there's a little bit of anxiety somewhere. But, I am very excited. The fear is hidden because of the excitement. Disobeying dad is even more difficult," he joked. He was seen hugging his dad and friends before going for the flight.

Shahid was undergoing training, meant both for the movie and this flight, for almost one year. "It was mainly meant for maintaining my physique. Now, I just had some time in the simulator in order to get a feel of the atmosphere inside the cockpit. Flying is a bad habit. It's very addictive!" he said.

Shahid recalled how he wanted to become a pilot when he was a child. "When I grew up, I knew it was not for me and tried other areas. I have utmost respect for the Air Force pilots. They are the real heroes of the country," he added. "People should get to know about their lives and be inspired by the initiative (movie). The movie is a love story. The Air Force becomes a big and brave part of it. I am not competing with any of the movies made earlier on the same themes," said Pankaj Kapoor.

source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 484735.cms

Deccan Herald wrote:Shahid flight adds drama to air show
Rasheed Kappan Bangalore:

Bollywood heartthrob Shahid Kapoor and his director actor dad Pankaj Kapoor wanted a starry promotion for their impending film ''Mausam.'' Lockheed Martin looked around for a celebrity to hard-sell its Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft contender, F-16 IN Super Viper. Aero-India 2011 wanted a hero, and the media couldn't wait to wrap it all in a package.

But the much-hyped Shahid Kapoor flight on the F-16 had to tide over high drama, triggered by a Lockheed Martin plain-clothed security person’s haughty remark on the media. Awaiting the star’s arrival on the tarmac, the big media contingent couldn’t digest the condescending statement and threatened an event boycott. The action was about to begin.

The heat was really on the actor. Eventually, Shahid appeared, worked his characteristic charisma on the media and all seemed well. The security man apologised and beat a hasty retreat.

Exhilarating ride
Before the sun set on the air show’s penultimate day, Shahid had endured the Super Viper’s twists and turns, loops and Gs. “It was an exhilarating ride. When the aircraft took off, I felt the excitement get me. It was a dream come true, indeed,” he gushed, and thanked the pilot for communicating throughout the dramatic flight.

Dad Pankaj Kapoor by his side, Shahid talked about “Mausam,” where he plays an Indian Air Force (IAF) officer. “The idea was to get a first-hand experience of flying on a fighter aircraft. Dad wanted it from an IAF base. Thanks to Lockheed Martin, I have had the privilege of becoming the first actor to fly the F-16. Such an opportunity doesn’t come by as a civilian,” he told the media. For Kapoor, it was a momentous realisation of a childhood ambition. “Flying is beautiful. Being a pilot is every child’s fantasy. You get the I-own-the-world feeling up there. Gives you that sense of total freedom,” quipped the “Kaminey” star. But was he scared, did he hesitate before taking that F-16 plunge, was it risky? “When dad gives you instructions, how can you say no? Yes, there was some anxiety, but the excitement was much more.” To be safe, he had to clear all the pre-flight medical tests and do the simulator grind. In the end, the only person he missed was his “Mausam” heroine, Sonam Kapoor, who was far away in New Zealand.

source: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/137 ... a-air.html

Unread postPosted: 13 Feb 2011, 05:04
by Gamera
Shahid flight adds drama to air show

Does any one have the serial number of the jet?

Unread postPosted: 14 Feb 2011, 16:51
by Gamera
The unsung hero

Monday 14 February 2011

It was Cdr Paul Randall, who informed Shahid Kapoor, about the features of F-16.

Source: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/137 ... -hero.html

Unread postPosted: 25 May 2011, 08:49
by Asif
Boston Herald wrote:BenJarvus Green-Ellis gets his kicks flying F-16 fighter jet
Sky’s the limit

By Ian R. Rapoport
Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Locked out of Gillette Stadium like his fellow players, BenJarvus Green-Ellis has used the offseason to spread his wings.

And he has been flying.

Green-Ellis began boxing at a famous gym in Miami. He joined a group of NFL players for workouts in at least two cities. He even started a Twitter account.

For the Patriots [team stats] running back, it hasn’t been boring. And nothing Green-Ellis did prepared him for where he was Monday — soaring through the mountains above Colorado Springs aboard a U.S. Air Force-owned F-16 fighter plane, taking instructions from the pilot flipping at 500 mph.

Green-Ellis flew with the famed Thunderbirds, taking a thrill ride that left him humbled and even more appreciative of the country’s military.

“This was a breathtaking experience,” Green-Ellis said. “Those F-16s are no joke. It’s like, wow. It was a tremendous honor and just to get in there and see what the military goes through, what they use when they’re fighting, that was just neat.”

He spent his college days at Ole Miss being cheered or jeered by 100,000 fans. In the pros, he’s scored touchdowns in front of 60,000. And he’s not sure it compared to riding with his face on fire.

“You go from zero to 500 miles an hour so fast, faster than any other thing you get on in this world,” Green-Ellis said. “And it’s not like a regular plane where it gradually takes off. You go straight up in the air like a rocket ship.”

The Thunderbirds are the Air Force’s demonstration squadron, showing off their skills with precision aerial maneuvers. They are flying for the Air Force Academy’s graduation today, and Green-Ellis joined them two days before after they e-mailed him with the opportunity.

“I knew it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience,” he said.

The studious player, who rushed for 1,008 yards in 2010, didn’t get to fly without a little education. For four hours, he was briefed by doctors, learned how to use the parachute, tested his oxygen tank, figured out his ejector seat, made sure his microphone worked and found the scanners.

Asked if all those precautions hammered home how scary it all is, Green-Ellis likened it to a commercial flight.

“It was well worth it to know for your safety,” he said.

Jumping in the cockpit, Green-Ellis’ eyes were opened quickly. The plane ascended in a blink, battling gravity to reach the proper altitude. It all left him feeling like he was trying to break a tackle.

“Like about 30,000 pounds of weight being pushed up on you,” he said, “and you’re being glued to the seat because you’re going so fast.”

As if that wasn’t enough, Green-Ellis was handed the wheel. When they gained some clearing, the pilot let him steer. For a few brief moments, he was flying the plane.

“It’s just like a video game or like driving a car,” Green-Ellis said. “I was flying 90 degrees. We were flying sideways.”

Through the mountains they went, over Pikes Peak, over snow-capped mountains, around little towns nestled in the hills. And all along the way, there were lessons to be learned.

“It’s a combat plane,” Green-Ellis said. “And he showed me how they fly through mountains sideways to duck radar scanners.”

It wasn’t just the speed that left him shaking his head in appreciation. He was struck by the amount of people employed to create a fully functioning plane.

“It had me take my hat off to the Air Force for what they do,” said Green-Ellis, who flew East yesterday to keep training. “It really showed me how much teamwork was involved in everything. Because it’s not just a pilot, it’s not just the quarterback who gets a lot of the glory for throwing touchdowns. But there are a lot of guys involved in the upkeep of the $20-$30 million plane. It’s all those guys working together.”

irapoport@bostonherald.com | Visit Ian R. Rapoport’s blog, The Rap Sheet

Unread postPosted: 02 Aug 2011, 20:10
by mintsauce
darkvarkguy wrote:The same Tata that bought Jaguar/Land Rover automobile company?
yes. and a couple other things besides.

Unread postPosted: 02 Sep 2011, 19:18
by Asif
113 FW - DCANG wrote:113th Wing hosts Maryland Congressmember
by Tech. Sgt Craig Clapper
113th Wing Public Affairs

7/27/2011 - JOINT BASE ANDREWS, Md. -- The 113th Wing, District of Columbia Air National Guard hosted and provided an orientation flight to a U.S. Congress member June 29 here.

U.S. Representative Donna Edwards, from Maryland's 4th Congressional District, received an orientation flight in a 113 WG, F-16D, Fighting Falcon aircraft.

The purpose of Rep. Edwards' visit and flight was to gain a better insight into the daily operations of an Air National Guard unit. Rep. Edwards recalled flying with the 201st Airlift squadron, but was not entirely familiar with the mission of the Air National Guard.

Rep. Edwards represents D.C. Air Guard members who reside in Prince Georges and Montgomery counties. Raised in a military family, Rep Edwards has supported military and veteran's affairs issues and has worked on the sub committees for space and aeronautics. Flying in a fighter aircraft happened to be a life-long desire.

"My father was a career Air Force man and I have been around the military community for a long time" Edwards said, adding "you guys are the professionals, the experts, and it's amazing what you can do. This is a very exciting day!"

Rep. Edwards was not the only one excited about her flight on this day. Staff Sgt. Jessie McCarley, 121 Fighter Squadron survival and egress instructor, instructed Ms. Edwards on what to do should a mishap happen during the flight. After demonstrating how to properly eject from the aircraft and land safely, with minimal injury, Sergeant McCarley felt very confident that Rep. Edwards was ready to fly.

"Ms. Edwards showed great enthusiasm and confidence," Sergeant McCarley said. "Perhaps the stressors of her job prepared her for the training and the flight. She was very excited both before and after the flight."

Rep. Edwards was accompanied by her legislative correspondent, Jay Bluford. He was able to see all the training that pilots, and crew members go through prior to flight and expressed his enthusiasm (and a hint of jealously) for the flight Rep. Edwards was about to undertake.
"I have always wanted to fly but today is her chance," said Mr. Bluford. He jokingly added "so when is my turn?"

Rep. Edwards experienced some typical exhaustion from the flight but she was enthusiastic about the prospect of a future flight aboard another fighter.
"I had a blast," said Rep. Edwards."It was a lot of fun and I would definitely do it [fly] again if given the chance."

source: http://www.113wg.ang.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123265656

Unread postPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 19:21
by Gamera
http://www.onlineamd.com/aerospace-manu ... 83111.aspx

Local hero to fly with U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds

North East Ohio man chosen among area’s community heroes for ride of lifetime in F-16.

August 31, 2011

For the first time in Cleveland National Air Show history, the U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds will fly a local community hero selected from among the dozens of nominations for its Hometown Hero program.

Kevin Edmond, a fire battalion chief from Mentor, was selected for the ride scheduled to take off Thursday, Sept. 1.

Unread postPosted: 21 Sep 2011, 17:20
by Gamera
Gina Bullard flying high in an F-16
South Burlington, Vermont - September 14, 2011

You know the saying: If at first you don't succeed, try, try again? Well, that's what we did. This is my second time walking out on the tarmac at the Vermont Air National Guard. A glitch in my first planned F-16 flight kept me on the ground.

Source: http://www.wcax.com/story/15465334/gina ... in-an-f-16

Maj. Matt Edson's <a href="http://www.f-16.net/callsigns.html">call sign</a> is Sqwirl.

Reporter Gina Bullard: "Where did you get the name Sqwirl?"
Maj. Matt Edson: "I can't talk about that. You don't want to know."

Source: http://www.wcax.com/story/15455058/gina ... a-lifetime

Unread postPosted: 29 Sep 2011, 19:54
by Asif
USAF wrote:Four decades of service come to a close for senior Air Force civilian
by Margaret Breihan
Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs

9/29/2011 - WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- It's the wonderful people that he's worked with that have made 43 years in the Air Force such a great experience, said William Davidson.

Davidson, the administrative assistant to the secretary of the Air Force, will retire in a ceremony here Sept. 30.

"They always say you'll know when to leave." He said. "I want to leave when I'm at the top of my game, and I can make the transition as smooth as possible. My wife and I are high school sweethearts, and now I want to give back to her and the rest of the family by cheering at my grandchildren's games."

<b>Looking back</b>
Davidson said his love of the Air Force, and of the sky, began at an early age. His father was a veteran World War II flyer and a commercial pilot. Davidson said he also wanted to be a pilot in the Air Force, but his eyesight was too poor. The backup plan was to keep the Air Force in his future and integrate another of his interests: law enforcement.

"A position with (Air Force Office of Special Investigations) seemed to be the best of both worlds," he said.

Just seven days after graduating from Florida State University's ROTC program, he was offered a position as a polygrapher with AFOSI.

At AFOSI, Davidson worked his way into leadership positions, eventually becoming the chief of the Air Force Polygraph Program. He was also inducted into the AFOSI Hall of Fame.

Prior to retiring as a colonel in 1990, he served as the deputy for security and investigative programs with the Office of the Administrative Assistant. Entering the civilian service immediately after his military retirement, he first served as the deputy administrative assistant until 1994 when he assumed the administrative assistant position.

Among a multitude of responsibilities, the administrative assistant is also the senior career civilian adviser to the secretary of the Air Force.

<b>A mentor</b>
Throughout his career, 22 years in uniform then 21 as a senior executive service civilian, Davidson said he has worked hard to follow the examples of those who helped him find his way to success.

"When I was coming into the service there were a lot of World War II veterans who were still in the service who showed me the ropes, mentoring me," he said. "Mentorship has always been a part of my Air Force experience."

Davidson grew from mentee to mentor.

"He's the person people constantly seek out for advice," said Doug Thomas, the former National Counterintelligence principal deputy director, one of Davidson's mentees.

Tim Beyland, the Air Force assistant deputy chief of staff for manpower and personnel, said he is still learning from Davidson in preparation for taking over Davidson's duties. Beyland has been selected to be the next administrative assistant to the secretary.

<b>Adaptation</b>
Davidson said he not only helped his mentees and co-workers deal with security-related issues throughout his career, he also witnessed many social, technological and political changes that have caused the Air Force to evolve.

"In the beginning of my career, I saw the breaking down of racial barriers... then came the introduction of women into the service... and more recently the somewhat uneasy transition to pilotless flight," he said. "The Air Force needs to adjust more quickly to social and technological changes than other branches of service do, and we adjust well."

Davidson helped senior leaders in the Air Force and the Defense Department deal with the biggest security adjustments in recent history -- security issues in a post-9/11 world.

"(Davidson) has fundamentally changed the way the Defense Department looks at security," Beyland said. "He has changed it from dealing with an individual security incident to coming up with a concept that prevents the incident from happening."

"You watch how he navigates through so many technical areas and comes up with an ideal solution for whatever scenario you think of," said Robert Corsi, Davidson's deputy. "He has the ability to understand the dynamics of a situation and is able to assimilate all that and navigate a way ahead, no matter how complicated the issue. (Davidson) is such a revolutionary, evolutionary, thinker that instead of adjusting to change, he drives change."

<b>Recognition</b>
Throughout his career, Davidson has achieved an impressive collection of military and civilian service awards, to include two Distinguished Executive Presidential Rank Awards, which recognizes him as part of the top one percent of the most valued federal government career civilian leaders.

"(Davidson) actually had three careers in the Air Force: serving in uniform as a cop and investigator, serving as a staff officer, and finally serving as the senior civilian advisor to the secretary of the Air Force," said Michael Donley, the secretary of the Air Force. "With over 20 years working in the Office of the Administrative Assistant, (Davidson) has been the go-to person for anyone who wants to know how to get something done in the Air Force, in the Pentagon and beyond. His knowledge and experience have provided continuity to our Air Force, which is a critical contribution on a day-to-day basis, but absolutely essential in times of crisis and transition."

Davidson said he is confident in the abilities of those who will continue on after his retirement.

"Now people are talking a lot about my legacy, and as I see it, legacy is what you leave behind," he said. "As I look up and down these halls, I see people who I've mentored are now leading the Air Force, and who happen to be good friends. The Airmen coming in are really bright and smart."

source: http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123273956

Unread postPosted: 01 Oct 2011, 04:31
by qslim
Lou Holtz of Notre Dame football coaching fame got a lift at the 46th Test Wing at Eglin AFB 'round about June of 09. Tail #87-0836, I believe, though I could be off on that detail.

Unread postPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 20:54
by Asif
Racer wrote:Hildebrand starts high at Vegas with the Air Force Thunderbirds
October 12, 2011

National Guard Panther Racing driver JR Hildebrand took time out from his preparations for this weekend's IZOD IndyCar Series finale for a visit to Nellis Air Force Base outside Las Vegas, where the United States Air Force Thunderbirds gave the 23-year-old IndyCar rookie the opportunity to fly in one of their F-16 fighter jets. While he knew he was in for an awesome ride, he didn't expect it to turn into an active role in flying the plane itself!

Almost soon as they'd taken off, Captain Nick Holmes – fittingly the Thunderbirds pilot No. 4 – was going to allow the Indy 500 Rookie of the Year to fly the plane himself.

"It seemed like soon as we got up on the air, the pilot says, ‘Hey man, you wanna fly the plane?'" Hildebrand said. “I was thinking, ‘Are you kidding me?'”

While Hildebrand was allowed to maneuver the jet during the ride, the real flying was done by Capt. Holmes, who took JR on a ride that included barrel rolls, a full loop, aileron rolls, flying inverted (upside down), a mock bombing run and pulling a 9G turn – a move that earned Hildebrand a 9G pin, a commemorative pin for the few who have pulled that level of gravity in an aircraft. The flight averaged roughly 500mph while they reached a speed just under Mach 1 flying over the picturesque Sierra Nevada mountains.

“I was freaking out when we pulled nine Gs; you feel like your eyes are popping out of your head,” Hildebrand explained. “This was just an unbelievable experience that far exceeded my expectations. And what was cool about this, too, was being able to fly in the No. 4 jet, we're proud of that number and it's pretty cool to see the other side of that here with Captain Holmes and all these guys with the Thunderbirds who work so hard on all this equipment.”

Capt. Holmes, who is referred to simply as “Number Four” around Nellis Air Force Base, is the "slot" in the Thunderbirds lineup, meaning his airplane flies in the position directly behind Pilot Number One, who is the lead – or point – of the Thunderbirds historic diamond formation.

“He did an awesome job,” Capt. Holmes said of Hildebrand afterward. “It was such a thrill to show the other Number Four how our team works. It's always an honor to be able to showcase the pride, professionalism and teamwork embodied by America's airmen every day.”

It was the thrill of a lifetime for Hildebrand, the self-described “adrenaline junkie,” who told Panther officials at the time of his signing last December that two things he wanted to do this season was fly in an F-16 and jump out of a plane. He marked the first off the list on Tuesday and National Guard officials have already agreed to arrange for him to jump out of a plane after he recovers from ACL knee surgery which is scheduled shortly after the season concludes this Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.

The Thunderbirds noted that when NASCAR driver Carl Edwards flew with them earlier this year, he won the subsequent Sprint Cup race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway that weekend and gave them the trophy to put on display at Nellis.

“So no pressure, right?” Hildebrand joked with the pilots and crew. “I'd be happy to take Rookie of the Year this weekend, for sure. I'm just not sure I'll get the same adrenaline rush standing up there with the trophy as I got from these guys.”

source: http://www.racer.com/hildebrand-starts- ... le/214208/

Capt. Nicholas Holmes, a slot pilot assigned to the Air Demonstration Squadron - the Thunderbirds, and IndyCar driver J.R. Hildebrand take off in a F-16D at Nellis AFB on October 11th, 2011. [USAF photo by SSgt. Larry E. Reid Jr.]

JR Hildebrand, IndyCar driver, poses by his name before launching out for his Thunderbird F-16 Fighting Falcon flight on October 11th, 2011 at Nellis AFB. Hildebrand, driver of the number four National Guard car for Panther Racing, came to Las Vegas to compete in the IZOD IndyCar World Championship at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway. [USAF photo by SSgt. Larry E. Reid Jr.]

Unread postPosted: 23 Oct 2011, 11:07
by Asif
The Air Force Flight Test Center celebrated its 60th anniversary Oct. 14 with distinguished guest retired Brig. Gen. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager, welcomed Team Edwards, friends and family to the ceremony highlighting the significant impact the center has made on aviation.

CAPTION:

Retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager (back) and Brig. Gen. Robert C. Nolan II, Air Force Flight Test Center commander, prepare for takeoff in an F-16, Oct. 14, 2011. The duo reached Mach 1.3, in honor of Yeager's historic, sound barrier-breaking flight 64 years ago to the day and in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the AFFTC. (U.S. Air Force photo/Rob Densmore)

Unread postPosted: 11 Nov 2011, 05:56
by Gamera
ROK actors in ROKAF cockpits:

http://blog.ningin.com/2011/08/05/rain- ... o-the-sun/

Rain releases photos from upcoming movie, 'Soar: Close to the Sun'

Andrea Dee on Friday, August 5, 2011

http://en.korea.com/blog/enter/k-pop/%E ... orce-base/

"Heroes" cast makes a visit to an air force base

March 04, 2011

(Can't see the S/N on the tail fin. Dudettes look cute though.)

Unread postPosted: 12 Nov 2011, 21:30
by LinkF16SimDude
Asif wrote:Retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager (back) and Brig. Gen. Robert C. Nolan II, Air Force Flight Test Center commander, prepare for takeoff in an F-16, Oct. 14, 2011. The duo reached Mach 1.3, in honor of Yeager's historic, sound barrier-breaking flight 64 years ago to the day and in celebration of the 60th anniversary of the AFFTC. (U.S. Air Force photo/Rob Densmore)

What do ya do when ya got Yeager in your backseat and he says over the intercomm "Impress me, son..." :lol:

Unread postPosted: 13 Nov 2011, 02:31
by Roscoe
You say "this isn't your Air Force any more" and ignore him...respectfully. A friend of mine had to fly a Viper cross country for some kind of training requirement (A sim at the plant maybe?) and learned that Yeager was going with him. Since my friend was an IP he flew in the pit and Yeager got the gunner's seat. During the long boring ride my friend kept asking him questions about his career. After a while Yeager asked him "what the hell ya doing back there boy, reading my book?" He sheepishly answered yes. Yeager demanded that he hand it to him, and Yeager returned it autographed.

Yeager is a jerk in general, but this was a rare good story.

Unread postPosted: 20 Nov 2011, 12:27
by Gamera
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52854 ... l.html.csp

Chaffetz takes a 'thrill of a lifetime' ride in an F-16

First published: Nov 05 2011 03:27PM
Published Nov 5, 2011 11:27PM

Hill Air Force Base • Congressman Jason Chaffetz donned a G-suit and checked that he had a vital piece of equipment — three barf bags — before heading to the skies with a Hill Air Force Base pilot in an F-16 fighter jet Saturday afternoon.

Unread postPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 21:04
by Asif
Sen. Mike Lee's familiarization flight

120112-F-LS255-058.jpg
The 388th FW welcomed Sen. Mike Lee Jan. 12. The high point of the senator’s visit was a familiarization flight in an F-16 aircraft with Col. Scott Long, the wing commander. [USAF photo by Todd Cromar]

Unread postPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 00:18
by mtrman
May be little bit :offtopic: but I have a funny exercise for you guys;

Could you be able to distinguish who is the pilot and who is the passenger in the picture above and how?
(this is an exercise for people who didn't see them before)

:D

Unread postPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 00:21
by mtrman
by not using the name patches, of course :doh:

Unread postPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 02:47
by LinkF16SimDude
Check for rank insignia. Oh...and if it's a post-flight photo, the passenger is the one that's planting a big wet kiss on the concrete. :lol:

Unread postPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 03:39
by discofishing
I was thinking it would be the guy with documents in his leg pockets. It's hard to tell who has rank on their shoulders. The bold guy looks more fit, which is indicative of a military type while the other dude has hair and just kind of looks like a politician. Looks like he's packing some pounds too. The boots too.

Unread postPosted: 01 Feb 2012, 04:02
by tjodalv43
Def. the boots!

Unread postPosted: 04 Feb 2012, 23:50
by mtrman
Yeah, the answers were good and funny also.

I also would like to make some conclusions but don't want to keep it
off-topic anymore :oops:

Unread postPosted: 11 Sep 2014, 09:17
by Lieven
Advertising & Editorial Photographer Blair Bunting flies with the Thunderbirds. #ThunderbirdCelebrity

Original video on Vimeo

Unread postPosted: 20 May 2015, 09:36
by Asif
Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives (Clifford Rosenberger)soars during incentive flight May 16, 2015

Clifford Rosenberger, the speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives, takes flight in USAF F-16D block 42 #89-2165 from the 112th FS as part of an incentive ride near Michigan on May 16th, 2015. [Ohio ANG photo by Airm. Rachel Simones]

Unread postPosted: 22 Oct 2015, 09:42
by Lieven
Louisiana State University baseball coach Paul Mainieri will fly with the Thunderbirds at Chennault International Airport in Lake Charles, La. Friday morning.

Mainieri was the baseball coach at the United States Air Force Academy from 1989-94. Major Scott "Cheetah" Petz will take him on a one-hour demonstration flight.

Paul Mainieri is a former U.S. Air Force coach and 23 of his former baseball players at the Air Force Academy became active pilots in the U.S. Air Force.

His schedule on October 23, 2015 will look as follows:
  • 07.00h - Public Affairs Brief at Chennault Airport Maintenance Office Building
  • 07:30h - Air Crew Flight Equipment Brief
  • 08:30h - Flight Surgeon Brief
  • 09:00h - Brief with Thunderbird Pilot Major Scott "Cheetah" Petz
  • 10:00h - Step to the F-16
  • 10:30h - Takeoff
  • 11:30h – Landing

Players of Paul Mainieri at the U.S. Air Force Academy who became F-16 pilots:
  • Major General Pete Gersten
  • Colonel Lance Pilch (also F-22/F-35)
  • Colonel Luke Ahmann
  • Lt. Colonel Keith Kelly
  • Lt. Colonel David Lyons
  • Lt. Colonel (ret) Chuck Cook
  • Rick Wynn

Unread postPosted: 30 Oct 2015, 08:27
by tbarlow
SAN ANTONIO - Spurs assistant coach Becky Hammon got the ride of a lifetime Thursday night when she climbed on board an F-16 Fighting Falcon.

"The flight was obviously amazing," Hammon said.

The famous Air Force Thunderbirds are in San Antonio preparing for an air show over the weekend at Joint Base San Antonio, Randolph. Hammon was given the opportunity to ride with fellow South Dakotan Maj.Scott Petz.

"It's a small state so it is really cool we can go out and do different things and eventually meet up where i am giving her a ride in a U.S. Air Force Thunderbird jet and she is an assistant coach for the San Antonio Spurs," Maj. Scott Petz said.

That ride Hammon got lasted about an hour, Petz put her through the paces with rolls and loops, flying upside-down and on the 'edge'. Hammon made it through all of it and at one point even wanted more.

"I said 'oh you pulled 8.7 g's you want to pull anymore?' 'OK once more' and I said 'all right' so we pulled 9.4 so that was pretty impressive," Petz said.

[...]

Source: http://www.ksat.com/news/spurs-assistan ... f-her-life

Unread postPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 23:11
by Jon
Movie actor Gerard Butler March 5, 2016. Actually a pretty neat video. Most interesting is they show a lot of the briefing.

Unread postPosted: 01 Apr 2016, 15:36
by smitty14
Indycar racer Graham Rahal just took a ride with the Thunderbirds yesterday at Luke.

Unread postPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 15:01
by Gamera
Hugh Jackman, Australian actor, singer, and producer.

Watch Hollywood Star Hugh “Wolverine” Jackman enjoy a flight in a U.S. Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon
2016/03/09

Filmed on Feb. 19, 2016, the following video shows the actor Hugh Jackman flying in a U.S. Air Force F-16D Fighting Falcon belonging to the 301st Fighter Wing at Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base.

Jackman, who was visiting the base as part of a promotional tour for the movie “Eddie The Eagle,” was flown by Lt. Col. David Efferson, 457th Fighter Squadron commander.

Source: http://theaviationist.com/2016/03/09/wa ... ng-falcon/

Unread postPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 14:05
by Lieven
Josh Duhamel, American actor and former fashion model. #Transformers

Unread postPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 19:03
by Jon
Sage Kimzey, championship bull rider with the Thunderbirds on July 25, 2016:
https://www.dvidshub.net/image/2745908/ ... bulls-f-16

Unread postPosted: 06 May 2017, 01:55
by tbarlow
Some old F-4 pilot got to ride with the Thunderbirds today! :salute: How many of you would have loved to sit in on that safety briefing!

Unread postPosted: 06 May 2017, 14:52
by Boman

Unread postPosted: 12 May 2019, 21:50
by Lieven
This thread used to be very popular (quarter million views) but has gone very quiet over the past 2 years. Are celebs now perhaps getting rides in F-35s instead?

Unread postPosted: 12 May 2019, 23:33
by pmi
Lieven wrote:This thread used to be very popular (quarter million views) but has gone very quiet over the past 2 years. Are celebs now perhaps getting rides in F-35s instead?

There aren't any F-35s with a back seat.

Unread postPosted: 13 May 2019, 02:38
by dragracingmaniac
pmi wrote:
Lieven wrote:This thread used to be very popular (quarter million views) but has gone very quiet over the past 2 years. Are celebs now perhaps getting rides in F-35s instead?

There aren't any F-35s with a back seat.

You could stuff them into the weapons bay, but that might cause issues with oxygen deprivation and altitude sickness, not to mention it's really hard to hold on during flight. :twisted: And... it would REALLY suck if the bay doors were opened in flight. :mrgreen: