Exterior F-16 Light Photos?

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.
  • Author

silverstarpilot

Unread post09 Jun 2010, 04:12

This is my first post in the F-16 forum so greetings to all.

I am trying to find some photos of F-16s with the formation lights turned on. I have this diagram showing the location of the various external lights:

I've found several photos here and on airliners.net with the intake position lights, missile rail nav lights (don't see those on the diagram), and the rear white formation lights just forward of the horizontal stabilizers. However, I'd like to find some photos with the inlet white formation lights turned on, the wing position/formation lights, the vertical tail-mounted flood light, and the aft side AR flood light which I understand is used during refueling.

The reason I ask is that I am building an F-16 sim for X-Plane for a company called Flight Dynamix who build cockpit simulators for various air forces. They'd like all external lights modeled. I can add them and guess at the intensity and focus but it would be nice to get these accurate. So if anyone has photos of the plane with any of those lights on if you are familiar with the F-16 and could at least try it out and help me adjust the lights, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.

Here's a couple of screenshots of the F-16 in the sim with the lights I have so far:
http://www.classicjetsims.com/screenshots/F-16-l1.jpg
http://www.classicjetsims.com/screenshots/F-16-l2.jpg

Bodizzle

Unread post09 Jun 2010, 10:39

The wing/position formation lights are the "missile rail nav lights" you referred to. Good luck finding pics of the "inlet white formation light" (commonly called the "belly light") working, I've seen very few of them operational. The forward side formation light and the aft side AR flood light are in the same assembly; two bulbs in one housing. Based off the first pic you posted, dim down the forward side formation light by about 3/4 to 1/2 and that's what it would like with the AR door open, dim that by 1/2 again and that's what it should look like with just the forward side formation light on, though I've only ever seen one working.
Other notes: I'd say double the intensity of the anticollision light; it and the landing/taxi light are the brightest ones on the jet. Aim the landing light down a bit and don't forget to model the formation lights (aka logo lights) and the rear position light. The right wingtip and inlet lights should have a blueish tint to them as they're not pure green.

silverstarpilot

Unread post09 Jun 2010, 19:29

Thanks for the info and feedback... much appreciated.

Racer497

Unread post09 Jun 2010, 20:32

One more thing, the wing tip lights arn't on the missle rails them selfs, they are about 6 inches or so inboard of the rails on the wings. If that makes sense
Former Crew Chief 85-1505 181st FW
Now a Fire Truck Mechanic 126th ARW

silverstarpilot

Unread post09 Jun 2010, 21:41

I wasn't sure about that. On the diagram it looks like the formation lights are flush with the wings but on these photos it looks like the lights are on the missile rails:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Taiwan-- ... 1365805/L/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Greece-- ... 1547902/L/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Poland-- ... 1554129/L/

On these ones though it looks like the lights stick out of the wings and are just inside of the missile rails:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA---Ai ... 1507916/L/
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Poland-- ... 1312170/L/

Racer497

Unread post10 Jun 2010, 01:26

They do stick out of the wing on the top and bottom about 2 and half inchs, but my figurering on how far in from the rails might be off, but i know for a fact they arn't on the rails.
Former Crew Chief 85-1505 181st FW
Now a Fire Truck Mechanic 126th ARW

510Gh0st|

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post11 Jun 2010, 03:40

With the Missile rails off, the lights are on the tips of the wings. THE VERY END, they arent inboard at all but are their own separate housing mounted on the wing tip themselves. As you can see in the above pictures, the lights themselves to stick up and down about 2 inches worth of glass housing, with the small bulb inside. :doh: :crazypilot:
Edwards AFB 00-03
Kunsan AB 03-04
Aviano AB 04-08
Beale AFB 08-11
Kunsan AB 11-12
Lakenheath 12-

dimid

Unread post27 Feb 2016, 16:54

Well, I hope that this pic will make "all things at their own places" . This is a wingtip with umounted pylon.
Notice, that they positioned in the assymetric way.

And I'm also very interested about that mysterious "belly light" ("inlet white formation light" ).

krorvik

Unread post10 Jul 2017, 20:48

Resurrecting an old thread, but hey, this fits here.

I've a short question regarding the refuel flood lights on the LE of the vertical stabilizer:

In a few shots, this seems to have been removed on at least some RNoAF F-16AMs. Is there some specific reason for this?

guy@rdaf.dk

Unread post11 Jul 2017, 21:06

krorvik wrote:Resurrecting an old thread, but hey, this fits here.

I've a short question regarding the refuel flood lights on the LE of the vertical stabilizer:

In a few shots, this seems to have been removed on at least some RNoAF F-16AMs. Is there some specific reason for this?

Might be that some of the RNoAF jets are block 10. Only block 15 and onwards are equipped with the penlight to help the boom operator se the receptacle.
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

krorvik

Unread post12 Jul 2017, 19:59

I'm pretty sure they've all been MLU'd - at least all the (edit: active) jets listed here at f-16.net are given as block 20 MLU.

This shot seems to show one without, and one with it:

krorvik

Unread post12 Jul 2017, 20:04

There is of course a real possibillity they were never mounted on some jets.

guy@rdaf.dk

Unread post12 Jul 2017, 22:24

krorvik wrote:I'm pretty sure they've all been MLU'd - at least all the (edit: active) jets listed here at f-16.net are given as block 20 MLU.

This shot seems to show one without, and one with it:

I was once told that the ROnAF upgraded all their block 10 jets to block 15 standard with large horizontal stabs, block 15 wings (able to carry aim-120's on the wingtips) and an intake that could carry a TGP. Maybe they did not change the tailfin in the process and that is way some jets (original block 1, 5 & 10) dont have the penlight.

Can any of our norwegian friends confirm this?

By the way, just noticed that the two jets on the picture dont have the same structural modification behind the AR receptacle.
Greetings to you all at the NSA and everybody else who is reading this on ECHELON.

krorvik

Unread post16 Jul 2017, 21:11

Yep, the rear jet also misses the other reinforcement plates - except the ones on the wings as far as I can tell :)

chriz

Unread post26 Jul 2017, 22:47

From where do you have this schema? Interesting one, it will help me to build my own model from the 3D printer's materials. :)
Next

Return to General F-16 forum