9g pin

Feel free to discuss anything here - as long as it is F-16 related.

by shrimpman » 02 Aug 2013, 10:02

Hi,
I need to ask you about the 9G. It’s not about the pin, but about 9G tolerance in general. Sorry bout the slight off-topic. I wrote a fiction novel about Viper pilots and now am in process of getting rid of the most obvious bullsh*t.
One of the characters is supposed to have an exceptionally high tolerance of high G. I wrote in the story that during G conditioning training on the centrifuge she was able to withstand 9G for full 60 seconds. The problem is, I have no idea if that 60s score would be nothing special at all or absurdly superhuman. Can you correct me a bit? I would need something that made her instructors shake their heads and rub their eyes in disbelief, but nothing that would seem like a marvel comics superpowers. I also said her score was high enough to break the record of Hill AFB (she’s a Black Widow). Is there even something like a scoreboard or record holder? (even unofficial would be suit my storyline fine). I’d really appreciate any clues. As always, if I’m asking anything I am not supposed to know, just ignore me.
Thanks
Shrimpman

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 02 Aug 2013, 23:02

I'm not an F-16 pilot.
I have been through the centrifuge.
9G for 60" would be impressive.
There is no such thing as a "scoreboard" on centrifuge G-tolerance that I've ever heard of. Most everyone hates the centrifuge, and anything to do with it.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by neurotech » 02 Aug 2013, 23:51

shrimpman wrote:Hi,
I need to ask you about the 9G. It’s not about the pin, but about 9G tolerance in general. Sorry bout the slight off-topic. I wrote a fiction novel about Viper pilots and now am in process of getting rid of the most obvious bullsh*t.
One of the characters is supposed to have an exceptionally high tolerance of high G. I wrote in the story that during G conditioning training on the centrifuge she was able to withstand 9G for full 60 seconds. The problem is, I have no idea if that 60s score would be nothing special at all or absurdly superhuman. Can you correct me a bit? I would need something that made her instructors shake their heads and rub their eyes in disbelief, but nothing that would seem like a marvel comics superpowers. I also said her score was high enough to break the record of Hill AFB (she’s a Black Widow). Is there even something like a scoreboard or record holder? (even unofficial would be suit my storyline fine). I’d really appreciate any clues. As always, if I’m asking anything I am not supposed to know, just ignore me.
Thanks
Shrimpman

I think the Mercury and Gemini astronauts could probably manage 9Gs for 60 seconds as they went through considerable and specialized training, and elite Red Bull aerobatics pilots can pull 12Gs+ for 20-30 seconds. I went up with a female pilot in an aerobatic trainer, and she could hold 9Gs in descending turns for 30 seconds without blacking out or A-LOC/G-LOC problems. I'm not that good. Due to operational limits, competition aerobatic pilots actually pull more Gs than fighter pilots.

Pilots in Combat Edge flight gear used in F-16s and F-22s can maintain more Gs for longer, with less effort. I remember reading somewhere that astronauts have to be able to maintain 4 or 5Gs for minutes at a time, to withstand ballistic reentry profiles.

As huggy suggests, Centrifuges are operated on test profiles, and so its not really a competition to pull more Gs for longer, but to meet the standard set by the USAF/USN to safely fly fighters.

Youtube reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrUCGZO5H9s

by shrimpman » 03 Aug 2013, 18:17

Thanks! I'll get that corrected.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by deadseal » 03 Aug 2013, 19:19

if you are holding 9gs for 60 seconds something has gone horribly wrong i.e you started out defensive at 49 thousand feet

by shrimpman » 04 Aug 2013, 01:02

Oh yes, I'm aware of that, this was just supposed to be a reference for a centrifuge exercise.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 04 Aug 2013, 06:44

Good luck getting 9G's at 49000'.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by StolichnayaStrafer » 04 Aug 2013, 06:45

Supposedly a woman's body structure allows them to sustain more Gs than their male counterparts on the average...

so I have heard. Given the reasoning and explanations so alleged, it would be logical to assume so.
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

by shrimpman » 04 Aug 2013, 11:26

I thought it related to a lower body mass. Would it be correct to assume that if the guy in the cockpit is heavier, the effects of high G are much more severe?

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by checksixx » 08 Aug 2013, 09:59

huggy wrote:Neurotech,
Put down the coffee cup...
- Pilots dying in a Cessna prop aircraft have nothing to do with number of pilots that have ejected and survived.

Very much trying to figure out where prop aircraft came into the conversation...anyone??

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 09 Aug 2013, 05:14

checksixx wrote:
- Pilots dying in a Cessna prop aircraft have nothing to do with number of pilots that have ejected and survived.

Very much trying to figure out where prop aircraft came into the conversation...anyone??

Sure! I'll give it a shot!
I'm not an English major,... but I'd recommend reading Neurotech's 17 April post.
Yes,... 17 April.

Holy just-woke-up-from-a-15-week-nap post, Batman!

p.s. what's wrong with "prop aircraft"? I think they are great.
Last edited by huggy on 09 Aug 2013, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by checksixx » 09 Aug 2013, 05:23

huggy wrote:
checksixx wrote:

I'm not an English major,... but I'd recommend reading Neurotech's 17 April post.
Yes,... 17 April.

Holy just-woke-up-from-a-15-month-nap post, Batman!

Hmmm...don't see anything about prop aircraft in that post. Unless I'm assuming wrong in his reference to Cessna as being ON topic to the T-37/A-37...which of course are Cessna products. Certainly nothing specific in that post to props though. No need to be a tool about it.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 09 Aug 2013, 05:50

checksixx wrote:
huggy wrote:
checksixx wrote:

Yes,... 17 April.

Holy just-woke-up-from-a-15-week-nap post, Batman!

Hmmm...don't see anything about prop aircraft in that post. Unless I'm assuming wrong in his reference to Cessna as being ON topic to the T-37/A-37...which of course are Cessna products. Certainly nothing specific in that post to props though. No need to be a tool about it.

Better check with your doctor: seems you are suffering from a case of "thin skin".
Wouldn't want a gust of wind to hit you and cause you to bleed to death.
http://kaching.tumblr.com/post/28967439 ... report-via

I keed, I keed!
Not trying to be a "tool". :twisted:
Your post, however, is amusing.
Sorry, I meant 15 weeks,... not months.

In his post, he states: 'More pilots have survived ejections in various jets than Cessna pilots who died in crashes."
Seems to me, he's comparing..
- those that survive in ejections in jets...
- with those who died in Cessna crashes.

I extrapolated his comment on...

Oh, nevermind.
Last edited by huggy on 09 Aug 2013, 05:57, edited 2 times in total.

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by checksixx » 09 Aug 2013, 05:52

Hmmm...who is being thin skinned?? Seems you're the only one who is here bud. So back to topic...I guess I was wrong. I assumed the Cessna's he was talking about were the T-37/A-37's being discussed. I'm cool with that.

-Cheers.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by huggy » 09 Aug 2013, 06:04

Fair enough!
I'll go see the doctor tomorrow!
Since we are encouraged to "take charge of our own medical care", I did some research. I'll be much more-better ready when I see the doctor, and will fight this affliction. http://www.livestrong.com/article/12897 ... thin-skin/

Wish me luck, checksixx!!

PreviousNext