Targeting pod G limit & CAT1/3 ?

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.
  • Author

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post09 Nov 2020, 19:56

Hi guys,

Is the AN/AAQ-28 Litening limited to 5.5 Gs?
Does that mean that you leave the STORES CONFIG switch to CAT III throughout the whole flight?

Thanks!

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post09 Nov 2020, 20:47

Firstly a stores G Limit is not directly related to putting the jet in CAT 1 or 3. So for example in a 1984 Manual I can see a CAT 3 loading that has a 9G limit.

There are tables with each store loading with an allocated loading Category - so being in CAT 1 or 3 will depend on the overall loadout.

IIRC the point of having the jet in CAT 3 with a CAT 3 loading is to prevent the pilot from departing the aircraft.

If you are playing a Sim then limits will be specific to that game.

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post10 Nov 2020, 18:49

Hey Basher, thanks for your reply. Understood, so the Stores Config switch is purely based on the wing loadout (I read somewhere if the load is >500lbs per pylon? ) ? I understand it limits AOA and in some cases G too.

I've been looking to find the G limit for the litening t-pod but the only reference I found was some RNLAF F-16 vibration test flight paper that mentions a T-pod limit of 5.5-6.5 Gs. So I'm just curious , if you head out with a CAT 3 loadout and a T-pod, do you switch back to CAT 1 once the bombs are gone and the ext tanks are empty?

basher54321

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post10 Nov 2020, 20:20

So for every combination of stores that can be loaded on any of the 11 hardpoints there is a given category I or III that can be found in a manual.

Being in CAT III might reduce AoA and roll rate - however if your symmetric limit is 5.5G (for example) you still need to manually keep it under 5.5G as you would in CAT 1.

Technically you could still have a CAT III loadout with empty tanks but it depends. The jet does apparently know the Category loading via the SMS and if you were in CAT III and you drop a few stores the Stores Config warning Light is supposed to come on the Caution Light panel advising the pilot to switch to CAT 1.

socalhornetpilot

Unread post12 Nov 2020, 18:49

boggy123 wrote:Hi guys,

Does that mean that you leave the STORES CONFIG switch to CAT III throughout the whole flight?

Thanks!

I can tell you that the pod itself does not have a G-limit, or at least one lower than the aircraft itself has. The jet however likely will have one based on weight. Not sure about the F-16, but the Hornet will limit your 'G' based off your gross weight, until you get down to about ~33,000lbs. It will tell you your current G-limit on the FCS page as well (or at least what the jet will attempt to limit it to). Additional ordnance on the pylons will create g limits as well which you can calculate in pre-flight planning, but generally speaking your gross weight will still be high enough to not over-g the stores in normal maneuvering for A/S employments etc.

fulcrumflyer

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post13 Nov 2020, 15:29

Thanks!

All targeting pods carried by the Viper are Cat I. g-limit is 7.33 g. That's a limit of the hardpoint.

boggy123

Enthusiast

Enthusiast

Unread post17 Nov 2020, 17:38

fulcrumflyer wrote:

Thanks!

All targeting pods carried by the Viper are Cat I. g-limit is 7.33 g. That's a limit of the hardpoint.

Thanks Fulcrum, that's the answer I was looking for.

Return to F-16 Armament & Stores