F-16 & Harpoon

This particular forum is for everything related to F-16 Armament, fuel tanks, and other stores.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by ysslah » 11 Nov 2003, 05:23

Habu 2 is correct. ROKAF F-16 block 52 has capability of carrying and firing AGM84

by Rigamortis » 22 Nov 2003, 03:57

When I was at Eglin 91-92 I saw them fly both the penguin and the Harpoon on our vipers there. I cant remember if they fired the Harpoon off, even though I am betting they did since we did most of the live fires for test purposes there. The Harpoon looks humungous when mounted on a Viper. I don't think the AF carries the 84 though in its own inventory so I imagine it was for the above mentioned future sales at the time.

Rigo

by Guest » 22 Nov 2003, 07:00

Slam and slam er are naval weapons and we all know the Navy has no F-16's. The USN tried offering the slam er to the air force to meet their new cruise missile requirements but the air force insisted on their new cruise missile.

by Guest » 22 Nov 2003, 18:07

Hi guys, Singapore does indeed have the AGM-84 and not just the SSM version of the Harpoon. There are 2 separate sales of AGM-84s to Singapore under the FMS program.

AFAIK both Singapore's Fokker 50s and F-16s are setup for the Harpoon

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Fantasma337 » 23 Nov 2003, 00:37

ACIG Team Member
"It is not the bravest men that fight best, but those who are strongest" (ARISTOTLE)

by Rigamortis » 23 Nov 2003, 01:25

Actually that was taken after 99-2000 we had that jet at Eddie when I was there right after it came out of the factory, it only had about 5-10 flight hours on it when we got it from Lookheed. It is one of the first peace Xenia acft though.

Rigo

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Fantasma337 » 23 Nov 2003, 01:32

Rigamortis do you have more details regarding the dates, more photos maybe, etc...?
ACIG Team Member
"It is not the bravest men that fight best, but those who are strongest" (ARISTOTLE)

by Rigamortis » 23 Nov 2003, 02:09

I do have a Code 1 magazine with a pic of it popping flares but that is about it. The jet wasn't there for more than 6-7 months, I can't remember the exact year it got there to us but it was in the 99-2000 time frame, it was pretty much a standard blk 50 out of the factory other than the fact it had a drag chute on it and it came with the OBOGS that our AF won't use on the viper.

Rigo

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by elp » 24 Nov 2003, 15:30

Anonymous wrote:Slam and slam er are naval weapons and we all know the Navy has no F-16's. The USN tried offering the slam er to the air force to meet their new cruise missile requirements but the air force insisted on their new cruise missile.

But interesting to consider as the F-15K deal for Korea includes SLAM. It wouldn't be that hard of a wep to hook up on a modern F-16 if the user was so inclined. Example for the sake of argument, if the HAF asked for it, I doubt it would be refused. It is an excellent land strike weapon.
- ELP -

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

by Fantasma337 » 24 Nov 2003, 21:02

Thanks Rigamortis! The reason I'm asking this is because Greece does not use the Harpoon from its F-16's, so it was strange to see it...
ACIG Team Member

by Rigamortis » 25 Nov 2003, 03:44

I know, when we had that bird at Eddies I never saw it fly with the Harpoon, but I was on swings so they may have dropped it before I came into work.

Rigo

Drew

by Drew » 27 Nov 2003, 22:12

Its important to remember that the primary role of the F-16 is not sea control or fleet defence. One of the reason you wont see them carrying very many AGM-84's. Also unit cost of the weapon compaired to actual employment of it keeps it in rather low numbers for the Air Forces arsenal.

The other ordanance being fielded that can be employed in ASW would be the Maverick G, or E models which have a 300 lbs. Penetrator Warhead capable of destroying a small vessel such as an OSA II class missile boat or doing serious damage to Frigate/Destroyer such as the Krivak or Servremony class.

The Pengiun also contains about the same level of punch. And can be employed against smaller ships. Keep in mind the only aircraft the Navy fields the Penguin on a regular basis are SH-60 Seahawks (and AH-1 Cobra Gunships Amphibious Carriers). That being for the mission of close in defence of the ship from small fast surface targets such as the gunboats sent against our Destroyers in the Gulf by the Iranians.

When flying Anti-Ship warfare missions Aircraft such as the S-3 or F/A-18 employ either CBU-20 or Maverick Missiles against smaller vessels and AGM-84's against Capital Ships.

Interesting side not, the Canadian Airforce had a different idea of an Anti-ship weapon, a pair of CF-18A's flying over the gulf attacked a Iraqi Gun Boat with the only weapon they were carrying other then their cannons, that being an AIM-7 Sparrow. The impact didnt destroy the target but the crew of the gunboat "disembarked" at a brisk speed before the missle Impacted the ship.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Pumpkin » 28 Nov 2003, 03:20

Hi Drew,

I guess the AGM-84 is not commonly see on the USAF Vipers, as the USAF, dedicated platforms are employ for dedicated role. But other small Air Forces where the Vipers serve as the main fighting force, that luxury is not usually available. Hence the Viper is expected to perform as a true multi-role fighter in very possible way.

I guess that is also how Lockheed Martin has marketed the export verison Vipers thus far. If I am correct, with the AGP-68 sea mode, all exported Block 50 and above was offered to be wired with the Harpoon Interface Kit on station 3/7. If in any case, the operator chose not to use the Harpoon, the option is always there.

Just my 2 cents views, :D

PS: Sorry, I am under the impression, ASW is more commonly associated as Anti-Submarine Warfare.
Desmond

Drew

by Drew » 28 Nov 2003, 07:33

Yes it is more likely to be seen on exported aircraft. However even that capability was retained for Cold War scenario's I.E. Battles involving NATO allies around North Cape or in the Black Sea against large capital warships of the Soviet Navy. Now that the threat of them fielding anything of any serious consiquence has subsided the idea of using a very expensive missile on something in the Gunboat-Frigate classes which make up most countries navy's is Uneconomical. Even our own Navy has started slinging Mavericks on Aircraft that used to carry Harpoons and the idea of making an Air Launched version of the ASM Tomahawk has stalled due to the fact that its not seen as nessecary in the conflicts forseen. Harpoon is a great tool when going after a Cruiser or Amphib Carrier, but shooting one at a Clemenche or similar vessel is just a little bit overkill. Thats the point I was making.

And yeah you are right, I forgot the U, but the point was made.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Pumpkin » 28 Nov 2003, 08:18

I see Drew,

without going into the political issues, I guess that was why, it was so important for RoCAF to test fired the Harpoon from her Vipers.

cheers, :D
Desmond

PreviousNext