Destroyer Zumwalt breaks down and gets tow in Panama Canal

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by KamenRiderBlade » 23 Nov 2016, 01:09

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 23 Nov 2016, 01:46

The Freedom class has been having a lot of problems with it's engines, too.
Einstein got it backward: one cannot prevent a war without preparing for it.

Uncertainty: Learn it, love it, live it.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Nov 2016, 02:10

A first-of-it's-class ship has problems... jeesh..
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 23 Nov 2016, 02:17

popcorn wrote:A first-of-it's-class ship has problems... jeesh..

It might have something to do with new low-observable intakes and coolant systems. Otherwise, I'm not sure what would be so different than the power plants of older ships.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 23 Nov 2016, 03:05

count_to_10 wrote:

It might have something to do with new low-observable intakes and coolant systems. Otherwise, I'm not sure what would be so different than the power plants of older ships.

I was being sarcastic. Zumwalt power/propusion system is bespoke,
"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by mor10 » 23 Nov 2016, 15:34

popcorn wrote:
count_to_10 wrote:

Most ships power plants are bespoke, so are the drive shafts, which is more of a problem, looking at the post from AP below. Leaks like this often lead to the need to lift the ship out of the water. However, it is not unusual that a new ship has issues that require rework after the first shake-down trip.

Associated Press wrote:USNI News, a publication of the U.S. Naval Institute, reported on its website that the ship was in the canal when it lost propulsion. Crew also saw water intrusion in bearings that connect electrical motors to drive shafts, the website reported.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/most-expensive-destroyer-in-navy-history-breaks-down/ar-AAkDfQ3?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp
Former Flight Control Technican - We keep'em flying

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by count_to_10 » 24 Nov 2016, 00:32

popcorn wrote:
count_to_10 wrote:

I will have to profess ignorance of what "bespoke" means in this context. Made to order? I assumed that the plumbing was special order, but I thought the actual engine was essentially of the shelf.
Of course, none of the problems I have heard about so far have actually originated in the engine itself.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 24 Nov 2016, 00:49

count_to_10 wrote: Otherwise, I'm not sure what would be so different than the power plants of older ships.

I should have clarified. "Bespoke" in the context of the Zumwalt kit being completely different from what is installed on legacy ships. The experience gained with the USS Makin Island did provide input into the DDG-1000 design.
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh