Top Gun 2

Unread postPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 00:38
by oldiaf
I heard they are making a new one and Tom Cruise is in it !! Probably flying F/A-18F super Hornet or even F-35 C !!

Re: Top Gun 2

Unread postPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 01:37
by popcorn
You don't say. :shock:

Unread postPosted: 02 Dec 2017, 13:36
by kerax
are you serious? I have not heard about it :shock: :shock:

Unread postPosted: 31 May 2018, 19:10
by ricnunes
Top Gun 2 is now confirmed!
The movie's shooting have been started and it's scheduled for release on July 12, 2019.

Here:
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/tom- ... 202826439/

In the past I've read rumors that Top Gun 2 would feature the F-35C (or that the main character portraited by Cruise would "fly" one).
While the movie's plot is still "under wraps", one can read the following in the link above:

Although the plot is being kept under wraps, it’s been previously reported that Cruise’s character would now be a flight instructor and that the film would explore a world of drone technology, fifth-generation fighters and the end of the era of dog-fighting.

“The navy is very different now than it was in 1986,” said Kosinski, who previously worked with Cruise on 2013 sci-fi pic “Oblivion.”

Which could somehow confirm the above (F-35C).

But then again there's this "teaser pic":

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 01:41
by popcorn
AF and Navy trolling one another.
Advantage AF. :D

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 02:18
by tsl256
ricnunes wrote:Top Gun 2 is now confirmed!
The movie's shooting have been started and it's scheduled for release on July 12, 2019.

Here:
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/tom- ... 202826439/

In the past I've read rumors that Top Gun 2 would feature the F-35C (or that the main character portraited by Cruise would "fly" one).
While the movie's plot is still "under wraps", one can read the following in the link above:

Although the plot is being kept under wraps, it’s been previously reported that Cruise’s character would now be a flight instructor and that the film would explore a world of drone technology, fifth-generation fighters and the end of the era of dog-fighting.

“The navy is very different now than it was in 1986,” said Kosinski, who previously worked with Cruise on 2013 sci-fi pic “Oblivion.”

Which could somehow confirm the above (F-35C).

But then again there's this "teaser pic":

Sponsored by Boeing, they feel the need (pun intended) to keep the St Louis production line running. :lol:

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 06:18
by SpudmanWP
I think you all misunderstand the poster.

He's not headed towards the Super Hornet, he's saying goodbye on his way to the F-35C :whistle:

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 12:14
by sferrin
popcorn wrote:AF and Navy trolling one another.
Advantage AF. :D

Maybe the USN was referring to this display of "talent":

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-navy-f ... f-4-2016-6

Oh Jesus. The USAF's official Twitter is parroting the "1875mph" speed idiocy. Looks like both are run by retards. :doh:

Unread postPosted: 01 Jun 2018, 14:17
by ricnunes
SpudmanWP wrote:I think you all misunderstand the poster.

He's not headed towards the Super Hornet, he's saying goodbye on his way to the F-35C :whistle:

LOL! IMO I would award that post of yours, the best post of the week :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 00:12
by h-bomb
I just saw a news blurb that movie poster. It was just a teaser they have not even started filming yet. The image was made by a publicist, not a set image or even a concept art. But I guess we will know more next year....

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 02:44
by madrat
Would be cool if they obfuscate the F-35 by using A, B, and C. Joe public wouldn't know the difference, especially between the B. So you have Maverick escape at the end on a freighter after landing vertically. The rest of the movie you jack with people by using A and C interchangeable. Really screw with people and refuel from a boom after taking off from a catapult...

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 02:54
by popcorn
Times are a-changin'... Top Gun movie poster and what-if poster for the sequel :devil:

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 03:40
by SpudmanWP
ricnunes wrote:
SpudmanWP wrote:I think you all misunderstand the poster.

LOL! IMO I would award that post of yours, the best post of the week :mrgreen:

Another thought, since "Maverick" will be an instructor and be flying a "Red Air" plane, it makes sense that it's a Super Hornet since that is an older generation plane, just like the A-4 Skyhawk in the original movie.

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 07:45
by madrat
Shouldn't he be flying F-16N?

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 09:47
by zero-one
Wonder what the adversary would be? They can't get away with another "Mig-28".
Su-27,Su-35, Mig-35, J-11 maybe.

Will it be flown by the Chinese or the Russians? Thats just box office suicide.
So will it be Syrians?
Iranians? That would be strange seeing the F-14, the hero of TopGun 1 as the antagonist of Topgun 2.

What about a rouge Russian or Chinese General with an Ace pilot. Then they'll have some help with the airforce of that country making the secondary protagonist (Iceman) a Russian\Chinese pilot.

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 09:57
by zero-one

Somehow, I already see where this is going.

Maverick is a legend, but he's also old fashioned. His way of trusting your instincts, going with gut feelings and dog fighting doesn't sit well with the higher ups. It's all about drones and BVR for them.

And for the most part they're right.
But then something happens. All the drones are shot down or disabled and Maverick goes in and wins the day the old fashioned way.

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 14:37
by sferrin
zero-one wrote: and Maverick goes in and wins the day the old fashioned way.

Using a gun and flying an A-10. And he'll be shooting at J-20s. While "going supersonic. I'll be there in 30 seconds."

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 15:13
by icemaverick
zero-one wrote:Wonder what the adversary would be? They can't get away with another "Mig-28".

Will it be flown by the Chinese or the Russians? Thats just box office suicide.
So will it be Syrians?
Iranians? That would be strange seeing the F-14, the hero of TopGun 1 as the antagonist of Topgun 2.

What about a rouge Russian or Chinese General with an Ace pilot. Then they'll have some help with the airforce of that country making the secondary protagonist (Iceman) a Russian\Chinese pilot.

They never named the enemy in the first movie so they’ll probably do the same for the new one. They’ll want to sell this movie all over the world so they’ll probably be careful not to offend anyone. I wouldn’t be surprised if we never even see the bad guys’ faces. Having a rogue pilot from China or Russia would imply those countries’ air forces are unstable.

As for the enemy jets, I’m guessing they create a fictional one using CGI.....probably some sinister-looking jet that looks like a souped-up Su-57. The enemy suddenly deploys these super stealth jets in a crisis situation and it’s up to the newly-minted Top Gun grads to defend their fleet. Because it’s stealthy, they will have to use their freshly honed dogfighting skills.

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 15:56
by madrat
Well, that would be true if its done in an insulting way.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be something where everybody wins.

Personally would love to see the F-35 side by side with other allied aircraft like the Rafale and Typhoon. Maybe the F-35 kills off a rogue drone - owned by the antagonist pariah dictatorship - about to spark WWIII between the Russians and Chinese. Or maybe a pair of their close allies that will draw in both sides. Or maybe its the Chinese and Indians. Either way, both sides have to come out smelling like roses.

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 16:17
by KamenRiderBlade
If the F-35C is the star plane, it'll probably have a talking AI named "Goose" who is voiced by the actor who played "Goose" (Anthony Edwards) in the original movie.

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 16:19
by zero-one
sferrin wrote:
Using a gun and flying an A-10. And he'll be shooting at J-20s. While "going supersonic. I'll be there in 30 seconds."

Hey this is a movie after all. Realism has to take a back seat in favor of "believable fantasy".
Black Hawk down is one of my all time favorite war movies. but fire fights don't really look like that.

It's a lot of getting to position, taking cover, wait, look around, wait some more, stay in cover while waiting, return fire at what you don't see, then wait again. Not exactly box office material.

So no ones gona make a realistic air combat movie where you shoot at blips on a radar screen and go home, but because this movie is working with the Navy. Hopefully they have some military advisors that will keep them from making an A-10 do a Kulbit.......ehem...Terminator Salvation :bang:

Producers are proly asking them now, whats the most unlikely, but still possible air combat scenario you can think of.

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 23:56
by ricnunes
zero-one wrote:Wonder what the adversary would be? They can't get away with another "Mig-28".

Maybe they'll put a Mig-68, since +1 it would "spin" :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 02 Jun 2018, 23:59
by ricnunes
zero-one wrote:Somehow, I already see where this is going.

Maverick is a legend, but he's also old fashioned. His way of trusting your instincts, going with gut feelings and dog fighting doesn't sit well with the higher ups. It's all about drones and BVR for them.

And for the most part they're right.
But then something happens. All the drones are shot down or disabled and Maverick goes in and wins the day the old fashioned way.

What you say above makes good sense to me - Afterall (and like in many discussion we had and have over the F-35 section of the forum) the F-35C can still be perfectly used in an "old fashioned" air combat/dogfight :wink:

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 05:11
by madrat
I'm thinking the drones have to use AI and the hero protagonist has to elicit superhuman traits that thwart the AI.

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 20:44
by guy@rdaf.dk
I am pretty sure this is what Mav is thinking.....

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 21:07
by geforcerfx
madrat wrote:I'm thinking the drones have to use AI and the hero protagonist has to elicit superhuman traits that thwart the AI.

They tried that, remember Stealth

Unread postPosted: 03 Jun 2018, 21:10
by juretrn
geforcerfx wrote: Stealth

More like Boring...

Unread postPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 01:27
by madrat
geforcerfx wrote:
madrat wrote:I'm thinking the drones have to use AI and the hero protagonist has to elicit superhuman traits that thwart the AI.

They tried that, remember Stealth

That movie was barely watchable except for the woman. Guess I'm just not an SJW type of fan. I'd rather watch an old fashioned spaghetti western. Realize when I say outsmart the AI you're technically working around its strengths and focusing on its weaknesses.

Unread postPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 13:56
by garrya
juretrn wrote:
geforcerfx wrote: Stealth

More like Boring...

Whatttt? I love that movie. The dogfight look incredible and the CGI aged pretty well

Unread postPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 14:46
by Tiger05
Meh. The real star of 'Top Gun' was the F-14, not Tom Cruise. A sequel without the Tomcat is pretty pointless to me. Instead it seems the rather boring and underwhelming Subpar Hornet will be the featured aircraft. Yuck. Sorry but the F/A-18 (any versions) simply doesnt have the mystique and presence the Tomcat has.

And why does a sequel even need to made? Too much time has passed and Tom Cruise is now in his mid-fifties... a bit old to still play a fighter jock. Last but not least, i have zero faith in Hollywood's ability to produce a decent sequel that will live up to its predecessor. Expect a CGI crapfest, nonsensical plot and full of political correcteness. No thanks. Sorry for the negativity but i am just being realistic. :|

Unread postPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 16:36
by ricnunes
Tiger05 wrote:Meh. The real star of 'Top Gun' was the F-14, not Tom Cruise. A sequel without the Tomcat is pretty pointless to me. Instead it seems the rather boring and underwhelming Subpar Hornet will be the featured aircraft. Yuck. Sorry but the F/A-18 (any versions) simply doesnt have the mystique and presence the Tomcat has.

I disagree.
IMO, what made the F-14 so "popular" was exactly the Top Gun movie and not the other way around!
For example, if Top Gun was made featuring F/A-18s instead of F-14s than IMO, the Hornet would be the "popular fighter aircraft" and not the F-14.
And what made Top Gun so "popular" has a movie was a mix of a "cheesy" elements which were so "popular" in the 1980's and other elements such as an appealing (IMO) mix of soundtrack with movie scenes, and yes, Tom Cruise (like it or not) helped A LOT!

For example, Top Gun was very popular for the boys due to the fighter aircraft scenes (doesn't matter much which aircraft(s) was(were) featured in) and the soundtracks coupled with these scenes while it was very popular for the chicks due to Tom Cruise and the "Take my Breath Away" soundtrack.

Tiger05 wrote:And why does a sequel even need to made? Too much time has passed and Tom Cruise is now in his mid-fifties... a bit old to still play a fighter jock. Last but not least, i have zero faith in Hollywood's ability to produce a decent sequel that will live up to its predecessor. Expect a CGI crapfest, nonsensical plot and full of political correcteness. No thanks. Sorry for the negativity but i am just being realistic. :|

Well, I believe that there's a very big chance that you could be right with this last part of yours.
But again, time will tell...

Unread postPosted: 04 Jun 2018, 19:15
by Tiger05
ricnunes wrote:I disagree.
IMO, what made the F-14 so "popular" was exactly the Top Gun movie and not the other way around!
For example, if Top Gun was made featuring F/A-18s instead of F-14s than IMO, the Hornet would be the "popular fighter aircraft" and not the F-14.
And what made Top Gun so "popular" has a movie was a mix of a "cheesy" elements which were so "popular" in the 1980's and other elements such as an appealing (IMO) mix of soundtrack with movie scenes, and yes, Tom Cruise (like it or not) helped A LOT!

For example, Top Gun was very popular for the boys due to the fighter aircraft scenes (doesn't matter much which aircraft(s) was(were) featured in) and the soundtracks coupled with these scenes while it was very popular for the chicks due to Tom Cruise and the "Take my Breath Away" soundtrack.

Maybe. But i think that the F-14 already had a certain aura even before "Top Gun":

1. It was the latest fighter of the famous Grumman 'Cats' (Wildcat, Hellcat, Bearcat, Tigercat...) series that dated back to WWII.
2. It had made headlines a few years before when it downed two Libyan Su-22s during the Gulf of Sidra incident (first US air-to-air victories since Vietnam)
3. It had appeared in another major Hollywood movie ("The Final Countdown" in 1981) where it had played a prominent role. Remember the legendary scene where two Japanese A6M Zeros are downed by two Jolly Rogers F-14As? :)
4. and perhaps the most obvious: the Tomcat looked so damn cool and intimidating. 8)

Appearing as the star aircraft in "Top Gun" only cemented the F-14's iconic status IMO. The F/A-18 however has been around for a hell of a long time and nobody really cared about it even though it appeared in at least two major movies too ("Independence Day", "Behind Enemy Lines"). Hell, the Legacy Hornet was recently retired from frontline service by the USN in nearly total indifference... That says it all really.

Unread postPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 08:53
by Corsair1963
In my opinion the F-14 Tomcat combined with Top Gun the movie was a "perfect storm". Which, is why it was such a hit! 8)

Unread postPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 13:06
by hornetfinn
I think Tomcat suited the movie also because they were two-seater aircraft and made natural two-man team with Goose and Maverick. Of course it would be possible to plot a team with single-seat fighters, but IMO with two-seater it becomes more natural.

I think modern Top Gun would be quite interesting to make both remotely realistic and interesting to watch. Maybe some kind of modern Attack on Pearl Harbor variation with a lot of enemy smart UCAVs, cruise/ballistic missiles and some stealthy aircraft (use them like Boss monsters from video games). These could be used for some very intense battle scenes and impressive CGI moments. Good guys could have a handful of F-35Cs and some banged up Super Hornets at hand. Enemy could also have nasty SAM umberella for Good guys to deal with. Enemy ship VLS firing large numbers of SAMs at Good guys would be visually impressive and would create some nice action.

I think electronic and cyber warfare could also be pretty easily used to create kind of scary and paranoid atmosphere especially before the actual combat scenes.

Unread postPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 14:27
by ricnunes
Tiger05 wrote:Maybe. But i think that the F-14 already had a certain aura even before "Top Gun":

1. It was the latest fighter of the famous Grumman 'Cats' (Wildcat, Hellcat, Bearcat, Tigercat...) series that dated back to WWII.
2. It had made headlines a few years before when it downed two Libyan Su-22s during the Gulf of Sidra incident (first US air-to-air victories since Vietnam)
3. It had appeared in another major Hollywood movie ("The Final Countdown" in 1981) where it had played a prominent role. Remember the legendary scene where two Japanese A6M Zeros are downed by two Jolly Rogers F-14As? :)
4. and perhaps the most obvious: the Tomcat looked so damn cool and intimidating. 8)

You may have a point here.
Your point 4. is of special interest namely because of one of the F-14 design features: Sweep Wings. I remember quite well that Sweep Wings were very popular in the 1980's and got the attention of people back in the 1980's more or less as super-maneuverability and/or Stealth gets people's attention nowadays.
I remember that Tornado, F-111 and the Mig-23 were quite popular in the 1980's and IMO it was also due to having Sweep Wings, otherwise they would be "rather uninteresting" aircraft even back in the 1980's.

Of course the F-14 took the Sweep Wing concept to another level since it was coupled with other "powerful" features such as powerful radar and missiles (Phoenix) and "sexy lines".

Tiger05 wrote:Appearing as the star aircraft in "Top Gun" only cemented the F-14's iconic status IMO. The F/A-18 however has been around for a hell of a long time and nobody really cared about it even though it appeared in at least two major movies too ("Independence Day", "Behind Enemy Lines"). Hell, the Legacy Hornet was recently retired from frontline service by the USN in nearly total indifference... That says it all really.

Here, I believe you are underplaying the F/A-18's popularity a lot and perhaps putting things out of context a bit.
First, obviously that the Hornet didn't feature in any movie similar to "top gun" and the reason is IMO quite simple: No other "Top Gun" kind of movie was released ever since.
Nevertheless the movies that you pointed out "Independence Day" and "Behind Enemy Lines" seems to somehow prove something that I read in an aircraft magazine back in the early 1990's - The Hornet (legacy of course) was probably the most popular fighter aircraft in the USA in that timeframe (early 1990's).
The Hornet had its very big share of appealing and popularity namely of which, being probably the first true Multi-role aircraft when it came up (capable of all sort of Air-to-Ground missions and Air-to-Air missions including BVR combat) which was proven in real combat during Desert Storm when two F/A-18Cs while conducting an air-to-ground mission, shot down two intercepting Migs without ever releasing their bomb load and then proceeded to attack the intended ground target also successfully - If I'm not mistaken this was the first time that something like this happened in the history of aerial warfare.

Regarding the Legacy Hornet being retired from frontline service without fanfare, there are these IMO quite valid reasons:
1- The Legacy Hornet was "retired from frontline" but not "completely retired". This means that the Hornet is still in service (with the USN) namely with reserve squadrons or simplifying, the Legacy Hornet still hasn't been retired (I would say that they can return to carriers anytime when/if needed).
2- The Legacy Hornet was/is being replaced by Super Hornets and currently by F-35Cs as well. The point of being replaced by the Super Hornet is of special interest because if doesn't really matter how different both aircraft are (namely from the inside but also from the outside), the Super Hornet will always be perceived by the "general population" as a Hornet or a Hornet variant (note how you mentioned the "Behind Enemy Lines" movie - which features a Super Hornet and not a Legacy Hornet!) so the "Hornet" will be retired when the last Super Hornet and not the last Legacy Hornet will be retired - Then you'll most likely get the "Hornet retirement fanfare".

Unread postPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 14:32
by zero-one
I wasn't alive in 86 so for folks who were, how do you compare it to the Raptor in terms of mystique in the public eye.

Regarding the F/A-18, Holywood has so far not done it justice in the movies were it was the "hero".

Behind Enemy lines - It didn't beat anything and it was blown to bits.
Independence Day - Wasn't really focused on air combat, it was more about the characters and aliens.

Topgun was all about the F-14, some can argue that the F-14 was the leading support character in that film,
The closest I can think of is Pacific Rim. That film was all about the Jagers. Look how popular that made Gypsy Danger and its not even a real thing.

But to be clear, I don't want TopGun to be a dumb robot film. I'd rather have them make it dark like Black Hawk Down.

Strange as it is, but I think Michael Bay can do it justice.
Just hear me out
I hate Transformers, all of them, maybe the 1st was good but the next 13 were horrible. HOWEVER the guy seems to make good war movies
-The Rock
-Pearl Harbor
-13 Hours

Unread postPosted: 05 Jun 2018, 14:44
by ricnunes
hornetfinn wrote:I think Tomcat suited the movie also because they were two-seater aircraft and made natural two-man team with Goose and Maverick. Of course it would be possible to plot a team with single-seat fighters, but IMO with two-seater it becomes more natural.

Agreed!
However I would say that a carefully thought plot could "easily" replace the "two-seater aircraft team(s)" part with an "air-to-ground" role/combat part.
For example the Top Gun's last combat scenario was a US cargo ship which became stranded near enemy lines (similar to a USS Pueblo or SS Mayaguez kind of incident?) and the F-14's were dispatched to provide air cover for the rescue operation.
I could easily see this performed (likely even better) with Hornets engaging enemy fighters while at around the same time attacking enemy gunboats trying to capture the cargo ship. :wink:

Anyway, I also agree with the last part of your post (which I didn't quoted above) in where there's "plenty of stuff" to make a Top Gun 2 similarly appealing today as Top Gun was in the 1980's, however (and here I kind of share Tiger05 opinion) I don't know if they'll manage to do it so...

Unread postPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 08:29
by hornetfinn
ricnunes wrote:
hornetfinn wrote:I think Tomcat suited the movie also because they were two-seater aircraft and made natural two-man team with Goose and Maverick. Of course it would be possible to plot a team with single-seat fighters, but IMO with two-seater it becomes more natural.

Agreed!
However I would say that a carefully thought plot could "easily" replace the "two-seater aircraft team(s)" part with an "air-to-ground" role/combat part.
For example the Top Gun's last combat scenario was a US cargo ship which became stranded near enemy lines (similar to a USS Pueblo or SS Mayaguez kind of incident?) and the F-14's were dispatched to provide air cover for the rescue operation.
I could easily see this performed (likely even better) with Hornets engaging enemy fighters while at around the same time attacking enemy gunboats trying to capture the cargo ship. :wink:

Anyway, I also agree with the last part of your post (which I didn't quoted above) in where there's "plenty of stuff" to make a Top Gun 2 similarly appealing today as Top Gun was in the 1980's, however (and here I kind of share Tiger05 opinion) I don't know if they'll manage to do it so...

Totally agree. I think they'd need script writers and director who really is into military stuff and also professional technical and military assistants to make it both fairly realistic and a decent and popular movie too. Especially if they could get help from USAF, USN or USMC like they did for first one, then it might be possible.

I'm imagining scenes of being at the receiving end of cruise and ballistic missile volleys or long range SAM systems from the Bad Guys. Some ships getting hit by anti ship missiles or torpedoes. I think the tough part would be to make decent plot and characters for the movie. Who would be the Bad Guys and what would be their motives and goals. Would they have J-21s, Su-58s or Grippens? :wink:

Unread postPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 14:54
by ricnunes
hornetfinn wrote:I'm imagining scenes of being at the receiving end of cruise and ballistic missile volleys or long range SAM systems from the Bad Guys. Some ships getting hit by anti ship missiles or torpedoes. I think the tough part would be to make decent plot and characters for the movie. Who would be the Bad Guys and what would be their motives and goals. Would they have J-21s, Su-58s or Grippens? :wink:

Well, regarding the "Bad Guys" they could always use the North Koreans with modern Hardware/weaponry since they received secret help from Russia, China and Iran... Ooops, this was already done :mrgreen:

More seriously, I guess that regarding the "Bad Guys" they could repeat the same formula from the first movie - Use an "unnamed enemy" which in the end we all had a clue who it was (Red Starts and all...).

The plot that you mentioned would IMO be very appealing indeed, however there's a added level of difficulty to it which I hope they can implement well - The use (and rather heavy use) of CGI (Computer-generated imagery). I just hope that they can master this well and make a perfect balance between real footage and CGI.

Unread postPosted: 06 Jun 2018, 15:54
by zero-one
What are the chances that we see a mass scale conflict spanning months or even years?

See, I think the TopGun 1 drew inspiration from the Gulf of Sidra incident which happened just a few years before. It was a small skirmish and nothing more.

Today whats the most recent Naval air to air engagement? that Rhino shoot down of a Su-22 right.

So hopefully we get a story where there is an ongoing war.
Maverick may even have an Ace Pilot Rival in the enemy ranks who is a legendary pilot just like him. A survivor of the 1986 engagement who swore to get his revenge against Maverick. IIRC they did not shoot everyone down, 2 of the Mig-28s bugged out. Maybe also some beef between him and another Ace in the USAF or another Airforce like the ISDF or RAF. they're all competing on who gets to kill the legendary enemy Ace who is out to get Maverick.

Unread postPosted: 01 Jul 2018, 15:06
by zero-one
So who would play LTJG Nick “Goose” Bradshaw (Goose's son) best
https://theaviationist.com/2018/06/28/t ... heme-song/

The frontrunners are Nicholas Hoult, Glen Powell and Miles Teller.”

TheAviationist.com, the plot for “Top Gun: Maverick” will likely introduce dramatic conflict between the world of traditional manned-fighter aircraft like the F-14 Tomcats (made famous in the original film) and their more modern replacements and the emerging role of Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) or “drones” like the U.S. Navy’s new X-47B experimental remotely piloted aircraft and the Navy’s giant MQ-4C Triton UAVs.

The plot seems stupid, there is no competition between manned platforms and UAV's yet, I hope they don't make any fictional high G capable air superiority drone ala STEALTH. Keep it realistic, a little stretch is okay,

Unread postPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 11:01
by hornetfinn
If this movie is to be kept fairly realistic and interesting, I'd go for some local conflict with America-class amphibious assault ship with F-35Bs and some supporting ships. Maybe use VMA-311 for reference to original movie... :D

Unread postPosted: 02 Jul 2018, 13:07
by madrat
With the crazy way aircraft manufacturers have aggressively pursued the rights to royalties for displaying their products in movies and on toy lines, would Boeing torpedo anything that put F/A-18E/F is a negative light? From a fan perspective I want an exciting movies, which comes from anything from beautiful backdrops and great music, to imaginative stunts, to unexpected turns of events. I'd settle for something on the level of Les Chevaliers du ciel (Sky Fighters) with a dramatic twist at the end that leaves open room for Top Gun 3. It would even be awesome to see Maverick learning his lessons during a Red Flag before taking them out to sea so to speak. Nellis is the perfect place to mix all sorts of aircraft without putting any of them in a negative light.

Unread postPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 01:23
by rheonomic
madrat wrote:would Boeing torpedo anything that put F/A-18E/F is a negative light?

I mean, Behind Enemy Lines is a thing...

Unread postPosted: 03 Jul 2018, 02:29
by madrat
rheonomic wrote:
madrat wrote:would Boeing torpedo anything that put F/A-18E/F is a negative light?

I mean, Behind Enemy Lines is a thing...

The movie took place in 1995, long before Super Hornet was available.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159273/goofs

Unread postPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 05:17
by spazsinbad
Geez I looked here and it was LOCKED. LOCKED I SAY! viewtopic.php?f=22&t=54138&p=395377&hilit=maverick#p395377
"Top Gun" sequel filming aboard Norfolk-based aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln [2 videos at URL]
21 Aug 2018 Brock Vergakis

"...The sequel to the 1986 blockbuster “Top Gun” is being filmed aboard the Norfolk-based USS Abraham Lincoln this week, according to the Navy.... The much-anticipated sequel began shooting May 31....

...“Stylistically it’ll be the same,” Cruise said in the interview. “We’ll have big, fast machines. ... It’s going to be a competition film like the first one and it’s going to be in the same vein, the same tone as the first one, but a progression for Maverick.”

A 15-person crew from Paramount Pictures and Bruckheimer Films went aboard the Lincoln on Sunday and will remain through Saturday, said Naval Air Force Atlantic spokesman Cmdr. Dave Hecht. He said no actors are aboard and that the crew is shooting footage on the flight deck of air operations, which include F/A-18 Super Hornets from Virginia Beach-based Carrier Air Wing Seven taking off and landing as part of their carrier qualifications....

...n July, Variety reported that “Only the Brave” star Miles Teller was tapped to play the son of “Goose” and is Cruise’s new protege in the sequel. In the original film, Goose was played by Anthony Edwards and served as Cruise’s radar intercept officer in the F-14 before his character died during a training accident. Cruise also said on the “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” last month that Val Kilmer, who played Cruise’s rival, “Iceman,” in the original film, would return for the sequel....

...The sequel is set to debut on July 12, 2019, according to Paramount."

Source: https://pilotonline.com/article_23811e1 ... d8ae9.html

Unread postPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 05:19
by popcorn
Good for Kilmer. He's been through a rough patch and was very keen on the sequel.

Unread postPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 05:48
by Corsair1963
A lot of people are going to be disappointed. If, the F-35C isn't included in the story line to some degree.... :shock:

Unread postPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 06:18
by popcorn
Navy will promote SH to the max. There's always TopGun 3.

Unread postPosted: 23 Aug 2018, 20:16
by doge
Photo of Top gun 2 cast actor Glen Powell and F-35C. 8) (It seems that this Photo was posted to Instagram and deleted afterwards.)

Unread postPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 21:54
by spazsinbad
Tom Cruise on Training for Top Gun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l36BVi8K1uo

Video is in the RAPTOR sub-forum but better off here doncha think?

Unread postPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 08:38
by zero-one
doge wrote:Photo of Top gun 2 cast actor Glen Powell and F-35C. 8) (It seems that this Photo was posted to Instagram and deleted afterwards.)

Is the navy involved in production?
Coz if not, then we can tell where this is going?

Millennial pilot (Glen Powell) has an over reliance in technology.
Maverick is more about, instincts and gut feelings.
they do some DACT.

we all know what happens next,

Unread postPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 16:10
by FlightDreamz
zero-one Is the navy involved in production?

Considering TopGun2: Maverick (or whatever they're calling it) is filming on the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln CVN-72 there has to be some Navy involvement. See http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23 ... -top-gun-2
Hopefully they'll keep any computer animation down to the bare minimum. TopGun had some great cinematography! Only the sci-fi movie "Final Countdown" came close to showing a 80's carrier deck in all it's glory see https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the- ... tdown-1980

Unread postPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 03:52
by Corsair1963
The "Super Hornets" could play the role of "Bad Guy"....keyword "could"???

Unread postPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 10:32
by Corsair1963
Top Gun: Maverick Will Likely Feature F-35C Joint Strike Fighters

By: Megan Eckstein
August 27, 2018

Hollywood’s latest take on naval aviation, Top Gun: Maverick, will likely pair the Navy’s new Lockheed Martin F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters alongside older Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornets, in the sequel to the 1986 blockbuster.

A film crew from Paramount Pictures was aboard aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) the same time the Navy began launching F-35C jets off the ship interchangeably with F/A-18E-F Super Hornets as an integrated air wing.

With six F-35Cs operating aboard Lincoln since Aug. 20th, USNI News understands, the film crew almost certainly got an up-close look at the Navy’s newest fighters – operating alongside the Super Hornets, the EA-18G Growlers, the E-2 Hawkeye and the C-2 Greyhound..............

https://news.usni.org/2018/08/27/top-gu ... e-fighters

Unread postPosted: 29 Aug 2018, 23:12
by krieger22
Delayed to 2020: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mov ... 137656002/

The studio dropped the bomb Wednesday that the release date for Tom Cruise's anticipated sequel "Top Gun: Maverick" would be delayed one year to June 26, 2020.

The movie was originally intended set to open in July 2019 and had begun early production this spring with plans to resume in September.

News of the postponement came just one week after Jon Hamm and Ed Harris were added to the cast.

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 02:06
by Corsair1963
Sounds like they didn't include the F-35C originally. Yet, they now realized their mistake and had to go back and start over.........

QUOTE: The extra time will give filmmakers the opportunity to work out the logistics of presenting flight sequences with new technology and planes, according to a Paramount statement.

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 02:14
by marsavian
The F-35C is probably the best F-35 to make a movie with considering its greater sustained turn rate and more aesthetic shape.

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 02:17
by popcorn
marsavian wrote:The F-35C is probably the best F-35 to make a movie with considering its greater sustained turn rate and more aesthetic shape.

I think that will be lost on 9,999 out of 10,000 people who watch the movie, maybe more... :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 02:22
by marsavian
Yeah but us connoisseurs will know ;).

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 06:00
by sprstdlyscottsmn
popcorn wrote:
marsavian wrote:The F-35C is probably the best F-35 to make a movie with considering its greater sustained turn rate and more aesthetic shape.

I think that will be lost on 9,999 out of 10,000 people who watch the movie, maybe more... :mrgreen:

I think the aesthetic will win over 9,000 of the 9,999

Unread postPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 08:52
by gideonic
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they only use the F-35C in the usual meme role: e.g. "too much technology, can't turn, can't run, etc" just to have F-18 save the day.

That sounds like a very appealing thing to do, for the lazy cliché-adverse hollywood screenwriters. Espescialy when considering what the public opinion about the F-35 still is.

Hopefully they'll do better. It's just that, if the F-35 and F-18 combo works as advertised in the movie, It's really hard to picture a worthwhile enemy. It should stomp anything ... no special Maverick-sauce required :D

Unread postPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 03:19
by durahawk
Looks like Maverick's ride will be definitely be a Rhino.
An F variety no less, because what is Top Gun without the cockpit banter! :thumb:
https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/09/12 ... et-photos/

Unread postPosted: 13 Sep 2018, 15:56
by SpudmanWP
That makes sense as Red Air will always fly older generations of fighters.

Unread postPosted: 14 Sep 2018, 07:01
by hornetfinn
Of course they could do HAL 9000 with F-35 Direct Voice Input system.... :P

Unread postPosted: 15 Sep 2018, 10:12
by zero-one
gideonic wrote:I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they only use the F-35C in the usual meme role: e.g. "too much technology, can't turn, can't run, etc" just to have F-18 save the day.

I doubt that. The Navy is involved, "heavily" so I doubt they would make a lot of uninformed decisions regarding the F-35. And I remember reading a test pilot statement before saying that all F-35s turn great but the C variant is really special. Those big wings really bites down the air hard when turning.

gideonic wrote:I
Hopefully they'll do better. It's just that, if the F-35 and F-18 combo works as advertised in the movie, It's really hard to picture a worthwhile enemy. It should stomp anything ... no special Maverick-sauce required :D

[/quote]

I can think of a few.
1. Everyone is convinced that they can kill enemies before being detected. But somehow ROEs or the sheer number of bandits force some to get close. Now its up to Maverick and Ice Man to teach the new pilots how to do it old school.

Come to think of it, killing bandits "long before they realize they were in a fight" was also a common tag line for the F-14 when it was new.

2. Adversary Stealth fighters push engagement ranges much closer, missiles are not as effective as originally expected, now Maverick needs to go old school.

3. Just put so many bandits out there.

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 10:57
by spazsinbad
Lotsa Dribble 'bout new TOPGUN movie - with F-35Cs: https://theaviationist.com/2018/09/20/i ... e-we-cant/

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 11:15
by popcorn
No way to they allow Cruise to pilot a SH.
I wonder what will replace the mythical MiG-28 as the bad guy?

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 11:32
by element1loop
popcorn wrote:No way to they allow Cruise to pilot a SH.
I wonder what will replace the mythical MiG-28 as the bad guy?

Upgraded Iranian F-5s

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 11:59
by popcorn
This... :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 12:11
by zero-one
If they'll use Flankers or Fulcrums as the bad guys then it has to be some kind of Rouge unit. And there has to be a prominent protagonist from the government of the badguys who plays a key role to help them. You know, to sell tickets in that country.

This is Hollywood, they can't make Chinese bad guys cause they need to sell this big time in China.
Russia maybe but they're gona need a Russian good guys.
Iran, maybe North Korea although that could be dicey

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 14:28
by element1loop
popcorn wrote:This... :mrgreen:

Allahu Akbar!!!

:lmao:

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 17:24
by zero-one
^^ hey now. Not a muslim, but our Islamic brothers may find this a bit much.

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 18:04
by SpudmanWP
popcorn wrote:No way to they allow Cruise to pilot a Sh.

The instructors always fly the older jets, so that only leaves the Classic or Super Hornet.

Maybe he'll fly the "last" operational F-14.

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 18:15
by sprstdlyscottsmn
element1loop wrote:
popcorn wrote:This... :mrgreen:

Allahu Akbar!!!

:lmao:

That's an Iranian "plane." Iranians speak Farsi not Arabic.

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 18:18
by sprstdlyscottsmn
SpudmanWP wrote:
popcorn wrote:No way to they allow Cruise to pilot a Sh.

The instructors always fly the older jets, so that only leaves the Classic or Super Hornet.

Maybe he'll fly the "last" operational F-14.

Maybe he will have to FIGHT and KILL the last operational F-14s

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 21:11
by SpudmanWP
Here's a thought.. They fight Iranian F-14s :)

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 22:26
by popcorn
Maybe they can blue screen some Flankers?

Unread postPosted: 25 Sep 2018, 22:45
by sprstdlyscottsmn
Or just use the real ones we have here

Unread postPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 00:09
by Corsair1963
Well, Maverick is going to have to have a worthy adversary. So, maybe they will have Russian Su-57's or Chinese J-20's???

Unread postPosted: 16 Nov 2018, 06:29
by lbk000
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but Tom Cruise learning to fly a FA-18 seems like a glorified version of the good old "It's for the Science Fair" trick.

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 08:35
by zero-one
Has this made the rounds yet?
https://reportmetothemoderators.com/2018/11/14 ... -ejection/

He was apparently spotted wearing a pressure suit which suggest he'll end up flying at extreme altitudes?
U2? SR-71? SR-72 maybe.

Personally I don't like this. As ludicrous as the original TopGun movie was, it was still boarder line grounded in Reality.
It wasn't like Stealth that wen't full blown science fiction. Topgun Maverick looks like its going to space. :doh:

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 15:01
by FlightDreamz
sprstdlyscottsmn Maybe he will have to FIGHT and KILL the last operational F-14s

That would SUCK! Granted it would have the benefit of being based on a realistic scenario. But for me, it's like coming across a car show skipping channels on Basic cable and watching a classic 1960's Chevy Camero get beat at a drag strip by a Honda Civic! It's just disheartening :( And the movie Stealth made Top Gun look like Masterpiece Theater by way of comparison - it's just crap!

Unread postPosted: 17 Nov 2018, 15:04
by FlightDreamz
zero-one wrote:Has this made the rounds yet?
https://reportmetothemoderators.com/201 ... -ejection/

He was apparently spotted wearing a pressure suit which suggest he'll end up flying at extreme altitudes?
U2? SR-71? SR-72 maybe.

Personally I don't like this. As ludicrous as the original TopGun movie was, it was still boarder line grounded in Reality.
It wasn't like Stealth that weren't full blown science fiction. Topgun Maverick looks like its going to space. :doh:

Agreed but willing to withhold judgement until see it on DVD. Couldn't follow your hyperlink try https://theaviationist.com/2018/11/13/s ... un-sequel/

Unread postPosted: 03 Apr 2019, 01:06
by zerion
A pilot wearing a 'Maverick' helmet flew through the Star Wars canyon during filming of the 'Top Gun' sequel

https://theaviationist.com/2019/03/29/p ... l-filming/

Unread postPosted: 03 Apr 2019, 05:47
by edpop
Maybe get Lou Gosett from the "Iron Eagle" movie to come and help out to so we can have more realism in the movie! :D

Unread postPosted: 08 Apr 2019, 11:40
by spazsinbad
2 page PDF attached:
"The US Navy is heavily involved in filming of the new Top Gun: Maverick movie, with various Super Hornets supporting the sequel.

TOP GUN 2 REPORT AND PHOTOS Jamie Hunter 2019 May

FILMING OF THE Top Gun Maverick sequel to the highly successful 1986 movie was in full flow during March. At least three US Navy F/A-18F Super Hornets from VFA-122 ‘Flying Eagles’ are being used for the filming, with actor Tom Cruise once again filling the lead role as CAPT Pete ‘Maverick’ Mitchell.

While the plot is a closely guarded secret, filming has been taking place at NAS Fallon, Nevada — the current home of the US Naval Fighter Weapons School, TOPGUN — as well as at NAWS China Lake and NAS Lemoore, California. Indeed, a VFA-122 ‘Rhino’ (BuNo 165679/NJ-101) from Lemoore is equipped with three external cameras on its hardpoints as well as behind the cockpit to record airborne sequences. In addition, another VFA-122 F-model (BuNo 165794/NJ-104) features forward-facing cameras in the front cockpit to shoot over the pilot’s shoulders and a rear-facing camera in the back to film the weapons systems officer. In the accompanying shots the pilot can be seen wearing the trademark ‘Maverick’ helmet.

The movie is due to be released in June 2020." COMBAT Aircraft Magazine May 2019 [/quote]

Unread postPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 00:00
by Corsair1963
Why do I have a bad feeling about this movie? :?

Unread postPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 02:19
by zerion
Corsair1963 wrote:Why do I have a bad feeling about this movie? :?

No F-35s.
Don’t worry they be CGI. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 09:18
by Corsair1963
zerion wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:Why do I have a bad feeling about this movie? :?

No F-35s.
Don’t worry they be CGI. :mrgreen:

OMG NO..... :?

Unread postPosted: 03 Jul 2019, 18:04
by spazsinbad
Two Super Hornets Buzz NAS Fallon Control Tower Allegedly For The Filming of “Top Gun” Sequel
01 Jul 2019 David Cenciotti

"...Two Super Hornets were filmed flying close to a control tower at NAS Fallon, in western Nevada near Reno, recently. According to our friend Kyle Fleming, the flyby was required to film the iconic scene for Top Gun 2, that will be released in less than one year, on June 26, 2020...."

Source: https://theaviationist.com/2019/07/01/t ... un-sequel/

“Time to Buzz the tower” for upcoming Topgun Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36QbwZdbXWY

Unread postPosted: 03 Jul 2019, 21:07
by edpop
Be still my beating heart!!!!!!!

I can hardly wait :roll:

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 00:20
by jaws
They should have done that in '86 . . . Oh sh*t, they did, WTF?

Just saw some footage on Entertainment Tonight of Maverick and new love interest on motorcycle . . . Another original idea.

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 04:05
by sprstdlyscottsmn
I'm still excited. Aviation movies are rare enough, ones that use cameras mounted to real fighter planes are more so. I am not expecting originality or earth shattering plot. Just fighter jets and some rock and roll.

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 04:48
by Corsair1963
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:I'm still excited. Aviation movies are rare enough, ones that use cameras mounted to real fighter planes are more so. I am not expecting originality or earth shattering plot. Just fighter jets and some rock and roll.

Well, I am sure it will be a thrill ride. As for a good plot and storyline??? That is very much up in the air... :?

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 07:27
by popcorn
I just hope they don't go crazy with CGI.

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 07:30
by Corsair1963
popcorn wrote:I just hope they don't go crazy with CGI.

I doubt that will be an issue with Tom Cruise. Plus, all of the Super Hornets flying around....Yet, does that mean the F-35C is not part of the movie???

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 08:11
by popcorn
Corsair1963 wrote:

I doubt that will be an issue with Tom Cruise. Plus, all of the Super Hornets flying around....Yet, does that mean the F-35C is not part of the movie???

I think any cinematic bandits are almost certainly going to be CGI

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 08:23
by Corsair1963
popcorn wrote:
Corsair1963 wrote:

I think any cinematic bandits are almost certainly going to be CGI

Well, that could be a good thing.... :wink:

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 11:23
by wooster
I for one hope they go old school with a lot of the flight & fight scenes and use large scale RC and large scale static models. Yes definitely need some CGI to avowing using the F-5 yet again as the super duper Migs.

But I get tired of watching cartoons pretending to be movies like SW prequels and the entire Marvel lineup.

Please minimal CGI and lots of cool large scale RC.

Unread postPosted: 04 Jul 2019, 11:52
by popcorn
IMO it's a safe bet the PLAAF/PLAN won't be the bad guys so no J-20. No way the producers risk losing the Chinese movie audience.

Unread postPosted: 05 Jul 2019, 00:32
by wooster
popcorn wrote:IMO it's a safe bet the PLAAF/PLAN won't be the bad guys so no J-20. No way the producers risk losing the Chinese movie audience.

The most likely scenario is the Chinese show up in the last 30 seconds of combat, save the day, sacrifice a Chinese hero, against some rogue terrorist (but can't be Muslim) nation state with the means to sink a carrier.

But will there be a gratuitous gay volleyball scene with the Chinese?

Unread postPosted: 05 Jul 2019, 18:53
by madrat
How about they use the same bad guy, only this time using Flankers with CGI re-skins to give them a rogue nation look. You also cannot give it missiles shaped like Russian, Chinese, or any third party with the likeness of a target audience.

Or go all in and make the bad guy the victim of uncontained international arms traders. A little bit of everything.

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2019, 06:36
by spazsinbad
:devil: I only played volleyball during my sojourn at HMAS Cerberus early 1967. Court was at the back of our Midshipman residence called 'The Gunroom'. The Base is HUGE but miles from the city of MELBOURNE Victoria, especially in those ancient years of 'NO public transport worthy of the name' days. Also we used to 'double time' in a squad EVERYWHERE so we all were 'fit as fiddles' but not gay. We were well prepared for very 'gay' RAAF basic flight training nearby Point Cook.

Unread postPosted: 06 Jul 2019, 21:14
by hkultala
Make Iran the bad guys and they can be fighting AGAINST the Tomcats.

Unread postPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 21:04
by sprstdlyscottsmn

Unread postPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 21:31
by f-16adf
Ugh.... it's really weird seeing the Super Hornet and not seeing the Tomcat.

On a side note: Maverick looks really OLD. And they did away with the 80's pilot mustache :shock:

Unread postPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 22:52
by KamenRiderBlade

Unread postPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 23:06
by sprstdlyscottsmn
I see how it is KRB. Just go and steal my thunder because you know how to get it to post a preview.

just kidding. Thanks.

Unread postPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 23:26
by outlaw162
Is that Cruise's P-51 at 1:30?

The guy walks the walk no matter what one thinks of his 'acting'. I really enjoyed 'American Made', this doesn't look bad at all as a follow-up. :D

Unread postPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 23:30
by zerion
Maybe it’s just me but the SH just seems a little underwhelming when put up against the Tomcat’s power, and it lacks any futuristic appeal that the F-35 would have. It just comes across as meh. :shrug:

Unread postPosted: 18 Jul 2019, 23:56
by sprstdlyscottsmn
outlaw162 wrote:Is that Cruise's P-51 at 1:30?

The guy walks the walk no matter what one thinks of his 'acting'. I really enjoyed 'American Made', this doesn't look bad at all as a follow-up. :D

Yes it is. Hearing a Merlin in super surround sound is reason enough to see this in theaters.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 00:14
by SpudmanWP
The main reason for the SH in TG2 is that there can be a "real pilot" in the back seat so Cruise can be up front. :mrgreen:

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 00:58
by popcorn
Amazing cinematography. I bet most viewers will forget the Tomcat 10 minutes into the movie. The flying scenes and new tech will blow them away.

P.S. any guesses why the full-pressure flight suit?

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 01:29
by afjag
popcorn wrote:Amazing cinematography. I bet most viewers will forget the Tomcat 10 minutes into the movie. The flying scenes and new tech will blow them away.

P.S. any guesses why the full-pressure flight suit?

U-2 or some experimental jet. Or maybe he flies for Richard Branson. If you look at the writing on the plaque where he grabs his sunglasses it says “Test Pilot”.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 01:41
by white_lightning35
35_AoA said the film crew was there while f-35's were deployed on one of the carriers so we should get a few glimpses of those, right?

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 01:45
by white_lightning35
And I'm glad they took the extra time and delayed the release date. It looks like the cinematography could be excellent.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 01:54
by jetblast16
I bet most viewers will forget the Tomcat 10 minutes into the movie

Not this viewer

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 05:17
by popcorn
Fact check : Everyone knows Doug Masters downed an entire squadron of enemy fighters.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 07:11
by popcorn
Former Top Gun instructor Vincent A. over at the Fighter Pilot's Podcast thinks so.e of the low-level and close in formation scenes are either flown by Blue Angels pilots or are CGI.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 10:18
by KamenRiderBlade
Wasn't Doug Masters also killed in the opening scene in Iron Eagle 2, then retconned to be alive in a later Iron Eagle?

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 10:40
by popcorn
KamenRiderBlade wrote:Wasn't Doug Masters also killed in the opening scene in Iron Eagle 2, then retconned to be alive in a later Iron Eagle?

You actually watched the sequel? :devil:

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 15:37
by sprstdlyscottsmn
With F-4s as MiG-29s. Iron Eagle 3 was fun because it was all old warbirds.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 16:58
by basher54321
Top Gun 2 should have been done in the late 1980s - Pete Mitchell goes back to Top Gun as an IP and gets to fly a real fighter - that being the F-16 of course - it's a great story :D

I didn't notice that P-51 thanks outlaw!

TomCruiseInF-16.jpg

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 19:18
by tomcattech
Trailer looks pretty good.

Prediction:
Maverick gets shot down over Iran in a recon asset (note pressure suit) and flies out in a Tomcat.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 19:19
by sprstdlyscottsmn
tomcattech wrote:Trailer looks pretty good.

Prediction:
Maverick gets shot down over Iran in a recon asset (note pressure suit) and flies out in a Tomcat.

That was more or less my guess as well

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 20:16
by popcorn
So that was Maverick escaping in the Tomcat at the end of the trailer? Or maybe a flashback? Couldn't make out any markings.

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 20:38
by tomcattech

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 20:47
by KamenRiderBlade
popcorn wrote:
KamenRiderBlade wrote:Wasn't Doug Masters also killed in the opening scene in Iron Eagle 2, then retconned to be alive in a later Iron Eagle?

You didn't watch it?

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 20:53
by outlaw162
Fuel to the fire...

The most intriguing aircraft in the picture is the A2D Skyshark in the background. A true non-classic. :mrgreen:

(nice MiG-21 and MiG-17 under the nose)

Unread postPosted: 19 Jul 2019, 21:43
by popcorn
KamenRiderBlade wrote:
popcorn wrote:

You didn't watch it?

Nope.

Unread postPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 17:59
by spazsinbad
Lots of 'facts' in this artickle: 'Top Gun: Maverick' is coming. Here's how the Pentagon was involved. 19 Jul 2019

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/ ... tagon.html

Unread postPosted: 20 Jul 2019, 21:02
by count_to_10
sprstdlyscottsmn wrote:
tomcattech wrote:Trailer looks pretty good.

Prediction:

That was more or less my guess as well

I hadn’t thought of that — though my first thought at the end of the trailer was “Aren’t the only flying F-14s in Iran?”

Unread postPosted: 23 Jul 2019, 03:34
by spazsinbad
Navy Answers How a 57-Year-Old Maverick Could Still Feel the Need for Speed
22 Jul 2019 Ben Werner

"...Ed Harris’ character, an unidentified rear admiral, gives a brief overview of Maverick’s career. Thirty-plus years of service. Combat medals, citations, the only man to shoot down three enemy planes in the last 40 years. Yet you can’t get a promotion, you won’t retire, and despite your best efforts you refuse to die,” he said. “You should be at least a two-star admiral by now. Yet here you are. Captain. Why is that?”

Could a real-world Capt. Mitchell still fly missions 33 years after audiences first saw the iconic naval aviator buzz control towers in the 1986 blockbuster “Top Gun”?... Another possible scenario occurs if there’s a break in service. For instance, perhaps at some point after the famous incident involving MiGs of uncertain origin over the Indian Ocean, as depicted in the first “Top Gun,” Maverick left active duty and did some time in the Navy Reserve. Then later, he returned to active duty. With more than five years in the reserves, Maverick could be pushing 37 years in uniform.

The final scenario for Maverick would be if he were retired but retained in service, a scenario that keeps individuals in uniform after reaching their statutory retirement. Generally speaking, cases of individuals being retired but retained are rare, but not unheard of, according to Naval Personnel Command.

While the longevity of Maverick’s career in uniform would be rare, recent changes to personnel regulations make it more possible for such a career path. Included in the Fiscal Year 2019 National Defense Authorization Act are changes allowing service branches to extend the active duty service of individuals based upon needs of the service and board action, according to the Naval Personnel Command. This scenario probably does not apply to Maverick because of his mandatory retirement time that occurred years ago. The changes do create a plausible scenario in the future for individuals with special skills to remain in uniform longer. The Navy does have a few instances where individuals did serve long past their mandatory retirement...." [examples follow]

Source: https://news.usni.org/2019/07/22/navy-a ... -for-speed

Unread postPosted: 23 Jul 2019, 06:46
by Corsair1963
spazsinbad wrote:
Navy Answers How a 57-Year-Old Maverick Could Still Feel the Need for Speed
22 Jul 2019 Ben Werner

"...Ed Harris’ character, an unidentified rear admiral, gives a brief overview of Maverick’s career. Thirty-plus years of service. Combat medals, citations, the only man to shoot down three enemy planes in the last 40 years. Yet you can’t get a promotion, you won’t retire, and despite your best efforts you refuse to die,” he said. “You should be at least a two-star admiral by now. Yet here you are. Captain. Why is that?”

Could a real-world Capt. Mitchell still fly missions 33 years after audiences first saw the iconic naval aviator buzz control towers in the 1986 blockbuster “Top Gun”?... Another possible scenario occurs if there’s a break in service. For instance, perhaps at some point after the famous incident involving MiGs of uncertain origin over the Indian Ocean, as depicted in the first “Top Gun,” Maverick left active duty and did some time in the Navy Reserve. Then later, he returned to active duty. With more than five years in the reserves, Maverick could be pushing 37 years in uniform.

The final scenario for Maverick would be if he were retired but retained in service, a scenario that keeps individuals in uniform after reaching their statutory retirement. Generally speaking, cases of individuals being retired but retained are rare, but not unheard of, according to Naval Personnel Command.

While the longevity of Maverick’s career in uniform would be rare, recent changes to personnel regulations make it more possible for such a career path. Included in the Fiscal Year 2019 National Defense Authorization Act are changes allowing service branches to extend the active duty service of individuals based upon needs of the service and board action, according to the Naval Personnel Command. This scenario probably does not apply to Maverick because of his mandatory retirement time that occurred years ago. The changes do create a plausible scenario in the future for individuals with special skills to remain in uniform longer. The Navy does have a few instances where individuals did serve long past their mandatory retirement...." [examples follow]

Source: https://news.usni.org/2019/07/22/navy-a ... -for-speed

Hell, Ed Harris is old to play a Rear Admiral............he's almost "69".