Top Gun 2 - Maverick

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 16 Dec 2019, 22:54

Neither the vertical move thru the middle of the formation, nor the low pass in whatever he is flying in the pressure suit and helmet — would ever (intentionally) occur. Hollywood flying cowboy fantasy. And, the only people I ever flew with who were so ‘angry’ with the stick and throttle were generally regarded as ham fists.

FWIW.

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by sprstdlyscottsmn » 17 Dec 2019, 00:08

quicksilver wrote:Neither the vertical move thru the middle of the formation, nor the low pass in whatever he is flying in the pressure suit and helmet — would ever (intentionally) occur. Hollywood flying cowboy fantasy. And, the only people I ever flew with who were so ‘angry’ with the stick and throttle were generally regarded as ham fists.

FWIW.

Those are for the non-aviator movie going public. they won't be entertained by fingertip control.
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer
-PFD Systems Engineer
-PATRIOT Systems Engineer

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 17 Dec 2019, 00:24

Yeah, but I still cringe every time I see the controls being snatched around. Sometimes there’s a very fine line between aggressive and overly so; the movie clearly comes down on the side opposite the reality I knew. :wink:

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by popcorn » 17 Dec 2019, 00:56

What a former Top Gun instructor thinks...

"When a fifth-generation fighter meets a fourth-generation fighter—the [latter] dies,”
CSAF Gen. Mark Welsh

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by marsavian » 17 Dec 2019, 01:06

Trailer 1 and 2 compilation

by rowbeartoe » 17 Dec 2019, 01:40

Looks like the SR-72 at the end. At least what people believe is the look of the SR-72. Anyhow- I'm surprised the Navy didn't try to promote the F-35B/C in the movie. The Final Countdown is my favorite Navy movie and it showed all the new toys with the Nimitz Carrier and F-14 Tomcat. No models in that movie. Top Gun of course is a great movie to recruit even though it has little to nothing to do with what Top Gun is really about. This movie should be good a promoting again. We need more fighter pilots. :)

Elite 5K
Elite 5K

by Corsair1963 » 17 Dec 2019, 02:53

rowbeartoe wrote:Looks like the SR-72 at the end. At least what people believe is the look of the SR-72. Anyhow- I'm surprised the Navy didn't try to promote the F-35B/C in the movie. The Final Countdown is my favorite Navy movie and it showed all the new toys with the Nimitz Carrier and F-14 Tomcat. No models in that movie. Top Gun of course is a great movie to recruit even though it has little to nothing to do with what Top Gun is really about. This movie should be good a promoting again. We need more fighter pilots. :)

My guess is "Tom Cruise" wanted a front row seat. That is he wanted to fly or at least ride in a New Naval Fighter during the making of the movie. So, with the F-35C being only available in Single Seat precluded that option. In addition the USN has so few Lightning's available too!

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 17 Dec 2019, 03:36

“We need more fighter pilots.”

The world needs more fighter pilots; some as shooters...some as targets. :wink:

Banned

by zero-one » 17 Dec 2019, 07:58

quicksilver wrote:Neither the vertical move thru the middle of the formation, nor the low pass in whatever he is flying in the pressure suit and helmet — would ever (intentionally) occur. Hollywood flying cowboy fantasy. And, the only people I ever flew with who were so ‘angry’ with the stick and throttle were generally regarded as ham fists.

FWIW.

According to "Jell-O" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-KfFOH ... e=youtu.be), friends of his who worked on this project say that "all the flying done in this movie were real."
I'd like to believe that but what about that SR-72/Aurora shot? Does the navy plan to publicly announce the existence of this platform in a movie. That would be awesome. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
(But wouldn't the SR-72 be an airforce platform?)

Anyway, they did say that as with the first movie, the Navy needs to bend rules and reality a bit to make a movie visually captivating. But then again,
destroying a helicopter with a smart bomb,
making an air to air kill with dumb bombs,
having a Mig-21 do a split-S at 2000 ft (IIRC) then coming out in a vertical climb just a few feet from the desert floor all seem to be Holywood movie magic but apparently all happened in real life.

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 17 Dec 2019, 10:59

‘Real’ flying doesnt mean they don’t use certain lenses and angles to convey an ‘impression‘ of distance and/or separation at odds with the reality. I highly doubt the vertical move was flown thru the middle of two jets in near-parade formation; they don’t need to gravely risk four lives to make a cool movie. Such a thing in fleet ops would be grounds for a board.

For example, have you ever seen the opposing solos of the Blue Angels do aileron rolls as they flash by each other at show center w 7 or 8 hundred knots of closure? To many it looks like they’re barely missing each other; the reality is they’re separated by the width of the runway because each is using the opposite side of the runway for line-up. Combine something like that w a certain lens from a certain angle and you have the ‘impression’ a jet flew thru the middle of another formation.

As for ‘Maverick’, it appears he forgot the little lecture he got from Viper back in the day about breaking the TOPGUN rules of engagement... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y1oxR_ShmYE

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by basher54321 » 17 Dec 2019, 19:08

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by 35_aoa » 18 Dec 2019, 02:34

Corsair1963 wrote:
My guess is "Tom Cruise" wanted a front row seat. That is he wanted to fly or at least ride in a New Naval Fighter during the making of the movie. So, with the F-35C being only available in Single Seat precluded that option. In addition the USN has so few Lightning's available too!

He did definitely fly in the backseat of a NAWDC F/A-18F, at least once. My buddy flew him. Said he was great to chat with on their short flight to get him to his P-51 in socal.

Banned

by zero-one » 18 Dec 2019, 13:24

quicksilver wrote:‘Real’ flying doesnt mean they don’t use certain lenses and angles to convey an ‘impression‘ of distance and/or separation at odds with the reality.

I understand that.
In fact if you look at the cobra scene closely, the aircraft performing the cobra seems to be at the port side of the other aircraft, not directly in front of him.

This makes me think that the Cobra was actually performed beside another Rhino and not CGI which is what I initially thought
Attachments
Capture.PNG

Banned

by zero-one » 18 Dec 2019, 14:25

Behind the scenes,
to anyone who ever made fun of Rhino's acceleration, jump to 2:17

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by quicksilver » 18 Dec 2019, 14:38

Let’s hope the story is as compelling as the spectacle, and they take the spectacle only to places that are still believable (unlike the clearly enhanced segment at 2:17). :wink:

Cruise loves aviation and he makes good movies. We should all be excited to see this one.

PreviousNext