Top Gun 2

If you feel you absolutely must talk about cars, morality, or anything else not related to the F-16, do it here.
  • Author

sprstdlyscottsmn

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post30 Aug 2018, 06:00

popcorn wrote:
marsavian wrote:The F-35C is probably the best F-35 to make a movie with considering its greater sustained turn rate and more aesthetic shape.

I think that will be lost on 9,999 out of 10,000 people who watch the movie, maybe more... :mrgreen:

I think the aesthetic will win over 9,000 of the 9,999
"Spurts"

-Pilot
-Aerospace Engineer
-Army Medic
-FMS Systems Engineer

gideonic

Unread post30 Aug 2018, 08:52

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they only use the F-35C in the usual meme role: e.g. "too much technology, can't turn, can't run, etc" just to have F-18 save the day.

That sounds like a very appealing thing to do, for the lazy cliché-adverse hollywood screenwriters. Espescialy when considering what the public opinion about the F-35 still is.

Hopefully they'll do better. It's just that, if the F-35 and F-18 combo works as advertised in the movie, It's really hard to picture a worthwhile enemy. It should stomp anything ... no special Maverick-sauce required :D

durahawk

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post13 Sep 2018, 03:19

Looks like Maverick's ride will be definitely be a Rhino.
An F variety no less, because what is Top Gun without the cockpit banter! :thumb:
https://revengeofthefans.com/2018/09/12 ... et-photos/

SpudmanWP

Elite 3K

Elite 3K

Unread post13 Sep 2018, 15:56

That makes sense as Red Air will always fly older generations of fighters.
"The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese."

hornetfinn

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post14 Sep 2018, 07:01

Of course they could do HAL 9000 with F-35 Direct Voice Input system.... :P

zero-one

Elite 1K

Elite 1K

Unread post15 Sep 2018, 10:12

gideonic wrote:I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they only use the F-35C in the usual meme role: e.g. "too much technology, can't turn, can't run, etc" just to have F-18 save the day.

I doubt that. The Navy is involved, "heavily" so I doubt they would make a lot of uninformed decisions regarding the F-35. And I remember reading a test pilot statement before saying that all F-35s turn great but the C variant is really special. Those big wings really bites down the air hard when turning.

gideonic wrote:I
Hopefully they'll do better. It's just that, if the F-35 and F-18 combo works as advertised in the movie, It's really hard to picture a worthwhile enemy. It should stomp anything ... no special Maverick-sauce required :D

[/quote]

I can think of a few.
1. Everyone is convinced that they can kill enemies before being detected. But somehow ROEs or the sheer number of bandits force some to get close. Now its up to Maverick and Ice Man to teach the new pilots how to do it old school.

Come to think of it, killing bandits "long before they realize they were in a fight" was also a common tag line for the F-14 when it was new.

2. Adversary Stealth fighters push engagement ranges much closer, missiles are not as effective as originally expected, now Maverick needs to go old school.

3. Just put so many bandits out there.
Previous

Return to Off-topic