F-16 cockpit placard set 1/32 scale

Here you can discuss paint schemes, kit details etc. for flying and non-flying scale models.
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ACMIguy » 11 Jan 2008, 15:58

Does anyone know if there is a F-16 cockpit placard decal set for 1/32 scale?
I have one old set of photo-etched and printed for an F-14A, but have not found any for the F-16.

Thanks

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 11 Jan 2008, 16:25

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ACMIguy » 11 Jan 2008, 17:48

sweet

Thanks

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ViperEnforcer » 12 Jan 2008, 02:41

Geez, that looks rough. Though the instro dials look ok, the "slapped on" PE flat panels do not. Without blending them in they just look like PE sheets on the consoles; sort of like a fake looking SIM cockpit.

One problem I noted with most of their color PE sets is that some of the dial gauges tend to bleed off the edges of the panel. Another problem is I've yet to see a set for a modern jet cockpit that matches FS 36231. Sometimes the console and instro panels are not even gray, but a light blue!

Also, I find the “powered up displays” kind of laughable, since unless you’re displaying the model in a powered on mode, they look ridiculous. Then again, that’s from a maintainer’s point of view.

Personally, the color PE sets are over rated. I prefer 3 dimensional raised detail myself, as it gives a more realistic appearance. Now what Eduard really needs to do is just the “correct” size dials and gauges to put into the raised detail of the kit (Tamiya), which is far superior to flat PE panels.

Mike V
If it yanks, banks, turns, and burns, Crew Chiefs made it happen!

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by JakeMelampy » 12 Jan 2008, 04:30

ViperEnforcer wrote:Also, I find the “powered up displays” kind of laughableMike V

I like how the MFDs are fully up and running, but the warning flags are still on the ADI, EHSI, AOA, VVI, etc.

Jake

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ViperEnforcer » 12 Jan 2008, 19:43

The powered up displays might have been ok if there were able to transfer them onto color film so it could be lit from behind with an LED, making it more plausible. Otherwise, it doesn't even look powered on without lighting, just like painted on displays. It plain looks hoaky or something that should be on my kid's GI-Toy.

Mike V
If it yanks, banks, turns, and burns, Crew Chiefs made it happen!

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ACMIguy » 14 Jan 2008, 18:05

You might be able to transfer that to decal film and then light up behind the MFD with LED's. The Tomcat cockpit I have uses that technique.
I wish all the panels were decal film rather than dry transfer. You would still have the switches and knobs and the correct color plus the data markers.
I think I might play around with it some and see what can be done with my printer and clear decal film.
JakeMeLampy is right about the power off settings on the ADI, EHSI, and AOA. I guess it looked more colorful to the makers, though less accurate.