How many Viper scale models ?

Unread postPosted: 10 Jan 2004, 22:04
by Ace02
I'm curious of those of us who build... to date how many Vipers have you done and in what scale? I try to build in 1/48th but have a bit of a 'back log' of kits to build as I got married a couple of years ago and the kits are still ... sorta boxed up. I'm sure some of you know what I mean.

My count:
Norweigan F-16A
Porteugese F-16 (ex ADF model)
Shaw F-16CJ
Shaw F-16DJ
Eglin 'ET' F-16B
Hill F-16D
SC Guard F-16A (gulf I)

I think thats about right for now...

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 00:18
by Norwegian_Wolf
Norweigan F-16A... I have been looking for one from RNoAF and no luck... any tip??

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 01:51
by Ace02
It was an older Hasegawa kit. I'm not sure it's in their catalog anymore but I'd think you might be able to find one out there on line.

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 03:38
by habu2
Well I done bought them all... :) :) :)

Oh you meant actually built??? well, umm.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

The "Norway" kit was V9 - click here and scroll down...

http://www.habu2.net/vipers/viperkits/48/hase48.1.html

Re: How many Vipers

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 04:51
by ViperEnforcer
Ace02 wrote:I'm curious of those of us who build... to date how many Vipers have you done and in what scale? I try to build in 1/48th but have a bit of a 'back log' of kits to build as I got married a couple of years ago and the kits are still ... sorta boxed up. I'm sure some of you know what I mean.

My count:
Norweigan F-16A
Porteugese F-16 (ex ADF model)
Shaw F-16CJ
Shaw F-16DJ
Eglin 'ET' F-16B
Hill F-16D
SC Guard F-16A (gulf I)

I think thats about right for now...




My first Viper:
Monogram F-16A OOTB (Crude :x )Hill

1/48 Monogram F-16A Luke
1/48 Revell F-16A 474th
1/48 Revell F-16A HL (Lizard)
1/48 Hasegawa F-16A Wolfpack
1/48 Hasegawa F-16A TJ
1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Hahn
1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Ramstien
1/48 Hasegawa F-16N
1/48 Revell F-16C SP
1/72 ESCI F-16B Lizard
1/48 Tamiya F-16 FSD 75-0745
1/32 Hasegawa F-16A IAF
1/48 Hasegawa F-16B Misawa
1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Misawa
1/32 Hasegawa F-16C Misawa (my jet 85-1565)
1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Shaw
1/48 Haseagwa F-16C Kunsan (Wolfpack)
1/72 Hasegawa F-16C CO ANG
1/48 Hasegawa F-16CG Nellis
1/48 Hasegawa F-16A Mich. ANG
1/48 Hasegawa F-16C Aggressor
1/48 Hasegawa F-16B Edwards FTC, just finishing this up for a TPS grad.

To bad most of these are not in my collection as some were donated to the bases I was stationed at and some destroyed in moves, or to much SOJU :shock:

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 08:01
by Habu
habu2 wrote:Well I done bought them all... :) :) :)


I'm almost there....at least in the Hasegawa line :D

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 08:31
by ViperEnforcer
Here's what under way all in 48th:

Hasegawa F-16B Edwards FTC (All White)
Hasegawa F-16A IAF
Hasegawa F-16C Alabama ANG
Hasegawa F-16C AZ ANG
Hasegawa F-16C Blue-Gray Aggressor
Hasegawa F-16ADF
Hasegawa F-16D IDF
Hasegawa F-2

Yeah a bit much for my plate, but at least the F-16B and AZ F-16C are ready for paint.I just have allot of sub assemblies to work.

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 08:32
by Thunderbird
Have builit most that was available, but then came along an ex-wife and one day I had no more models just a pile of plastic. Busy now to collect decals of each country that use it and then after my deployment with the UN in Eritrea I starting again.

Got decals already for the following countries.

USA
Denmanrk
The Netherlands
Belgium
Norway
Greece
Turkey
Portugal
Israel
Egypt
Bahrain
Venezuela

The following I know is in the process of printing/munufacturing

Horizon Modeltech
Singapore
Indonesia
Thailand

Albatros?
Pakistan

Then the following was available but cannot get any at this stage
Taiwan (ROC) (Kiddyland/Tigerwings).

The other countries I'm still searching for.

Regards

Thunderbird

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 08:50
by Habu
ViperEnforcer wrote:Hasegawa F-16B Edwards FTC (All White)


The one from the TB sheet huh? I like that one, plain and simple white, but it looks so pretty. That is also on my to do list. But the first on I'll do from that sheet will be the VISTA. You looked at my thread on here yet? That one is almost done, but in 1/72 scale. Kind of a prototyoe for the 1/48 I plan to do. I've also taken a battery of pics of the current VISTA, at ED. But you're there, so you have unbridled access. I posted my pics in the gallery though, for those that aren't so fortunate ;)

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 14:38
by Ace02
The ED Vista. Isn't the TPS flying that now? If I remember they didn't change the scheme all that much, tail code and some sort of TPS moniker somewhere?

I have the Italari Kit with the spine and that's the jet I'd like to do as well. (some day when they are 'allowed' to come out of the box... if I can only fix up that unfinished room in the basement etc. etc. ) habu, you are doing a 1/72nd version to work out the bugs before doing 1/48th? is the bigger kit going to need that much work?

oh and wonderfully anal site btw (I mean that in a good way)

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 16:07
by Grunt
I've only made one F-16 model and it was a total disaster. I attempted to Make an F-16B from the 388th TFW, 4th TFS. The tail dreid croocked the landing gears snapped I used way to much glue and the paint job... well, I'm not even gonna go there! :wink:

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 16:57
by habu2
That 2bobs ED/VISTA sheet (1:48 ) is on sale right now at the 2bobs site for an incredible $3.50 :!: (ask me how I know)

OK, I've built:

1:32
Hasegawa A
Revell A (under construction)

1:48
Monogram "A" (2)
Revell A
Revell C (2)
Hasegawa A (2)

1:72
Monogram A (6)
Revell A
Airfix B
Testors B
ESCI B
Monogram XL

1:144
LS A
DML A/B/C/D (too many to count, I used them as christmas ornaments)

oh, and I started a 1:12 ESCI cockpit but never finished it. :cry:

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 18:57
by ViperEnforcer
Habu wrote:


The one from the TB sheet huh? I like that one, plain and simple white, but it looks so pretty. That is also on my to do list. But the first on I'll do from that sheet will be the VISTA. You looked at my thread on here yet? That one is almost done, but in 1/72 scale. Kind of a prototyoe for the 1/48 I plan to do. I've also taken a battery of pics of the current VISTA, at ED. But you're there, so you have unbridled access. I posted my pics in the gallery though, for those that aren't so fortunate ;)[/quote]

Yeah, that one. It will be closed up with some less than desireble Black Box seats, corrected landing gear (or as close as I can get them) resin nozzle, and a few other upgraded details.

Yeah, I saw the VISTA Thread. Looking good! It's on my to-do list as well. I Actually started it in 48th back in 96, but ran into some major paint problems, striped it, and now it's stowed some where in the Garage. I will start fresh with one of my Hasegawa IAF F-16D's, BB pit, resin Nozzle, detailed wheel well, gear, and brakes Alos note, VISTA Has a real motor in it now, GE-129. That's what my model will reflect as well.

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 19:13
by Habu
Ace02 wrote:The ED Vista. Isn't the TPS flying that now? If I remember they didn't change the scheme all that much, tail code and some sort of TPS moniker somewhere?

I have the Italari Kit with the spine and that's the jet I'd like to do as well. (some day when they are 'allowed' to come out of the box... if I can only fix up that unfinished room in the basement etc. etc. ) habu, you are doing a 1/72nd version to work out the bugs before doing 1/48th? is the bigger kit going to need that much work?

oh and wonderfully anal site btw (I mean that in a good way)


Yup, the VISTA is over at the TPS now, the students are flying it. The next project up for it, is the autonomous refueling tesingt program. And yeah I just wanted ot build the Hase 1/72 to get a feel for how it looks, and see where I'll have to add stuff. But I'm juts doing it OOB, nothing special added to it.
And Rap, the VISTA still has the PW...at least it did at the end of Oct. Did that change now?

Oh and Ace, I can't take credit for that site, it's not mine....it's habu2's...thre's two habus on this site ;)

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 19:15
by ViperEnforcer
Ace02 wrote:The ED Vista. Isn't the TPS flying that now? If I remember they didn't change the scheme all that much, tail code and some sort of TPS moniker somewhere?

I have the Italari Kit with the spine and that's the jet I'd like to do as well. (some day when they are 'allowed' to come out of the box... if I can only fix up that unfinished room in the basement etc. etc. ) habu, you are doing a 1/72nd version to work out the bugs before doing 1/48th? is the bigger kit going to need that much work?

oh and wonderfully anal site btw (I mean that in a good way)


VISTA has a GE motor currently. Also note the Italeri kit is all wrong for both a VISTA and the IAF F-16D. The spine is totally wrong, no bulged gear door/larger wheels/Big intake/D model cockpit/ and the GE nozzle very inaccurate as well. At best the Italeri kit can be made into a B.

Hasegawa's F-16D (or even better, there IAF F-16D that has aa accurate spine) would be a much better starting pint.

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 19:20
by Habu
I'm not using anything from Italeri for my VISTA, I'm using the Hse kit, and I'm doing it in with the PW. All my ref info I have is with the PW nozzle, plus I have nothing against the Pratt personally, so I'm sticking with it. I've got a Seamless Suckers MCID intake, and CE spine, plus some bulged gear doors cannibalized from a CJ kit. All the other humps and bumps will be scratchbuilt.

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 19:50
by ViperEnforcer
Habu wrote:I'm not using anything from Italeri for my VISTA, I'm using the Hse kit, and I'm doing it in with the PW. All my ref info I have is with the PW nozzle, plus I have nothing against the Pratt personally, so I'm sticking with it. I've got a Seamless Suckers MCID intake, and CE spine, plus some bulged gear doors cannibalized from a CJ kit. All the other humps and bumps will be scratchbuilt.


After the Fulll thrust vector GE porgrasm was over, a standard GE was installed, then the P&W-229, and stayed that way till about a year or so ago. Ahen it went to TPS I noticed it out on the ramp with a GE installed. I wanted mine to reflect that configuration, since just about everyone else's VISTA will be the -229. Plus it looks better to me :lol:

One thing though, I would forgo the Seamless Sucker MCID intake. I have the original one which based off the Airwaves one, so not to accurate in the motuh profile. Then S.S. retooled thier MCID itake, and botched it! It's the same profile as the small inlet, just ovesized. It does not even fit it's so large. Only Hasegawa and Eagle Designs have an accurate MCID intake.

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 20:07
by habu2
The VISTA is 'technically' a Block 30 airframe, heavily modded of course. Does the VISTA have the bulged gear doors and larger main wheels etc?

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 20:40
by ViperEnforcer
habu2 wrote:The VISTA is 'technically' a Block 30 airframe, heavily modded of course. Does the VISTA have the bulged gear doors and larger main wheels etc?


It sure does. Even though the SN is that of B-30, it was built as a Block 40 airframe, with the Bulged gear doors, MCID intake and "BLOCK 40" wheels.
Look at the pic and you can see the larger MG door brackets, where the retract actuator connects.

Mike V

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 21:26
by habu2
Cool, thanks Mike.

Unread postPosted: 11 Jan 2004, 22:23
by Habu
DOH! I just own3d myself....I looked at my own pics I took http://www.f-16.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album03&op=modload&name=PhotoGallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=13
and sure enough...the VISTA does have the GE installed. My bad! :D

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 15:35
by Ace02
Sorry for the Habu/habu2 confusion. Thanks too for the info I'd been out of building just long enough for Hasegawa to come out with a 'family model' with the spine!? I guess the Italeri kit will stay in the box a little while longer...

habu, still promise to upload some of my own viper shots as soon as I put this issue of the magazine to bed.

Maybe I shuld just do a thread with the pics as some form of intro? or does that open me up to the required rash o' ridicule. lol

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 17:39
by Habu
Hey Ace, which pics are you talking about? Are directing that to me or h2?

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 21:23
by Ace02
That would be you, Habu. You had mentioned something about it on another thread. My first attempt at uploading a photo of an SP 'family model' I'd had a ride in. I'll need to work on a sharper scan ..

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 21:33
by Habu
Oooooh....ok, now I remember...
Look at my post count Ace
<---

I reply to a loooot of threads. If you don't specify which one, chances are I won't know what I said where :P

Check your PMs, I sent you my email addy, send me the pics, and I'll upload them to my hosting site.

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 21:33
by Ace02
this one was from the same visit.

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 21:52
by Habu
Looks like you've already posted them, so do you still need me to?

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 21:55
by Ace02
guess not ... I think I'm getting the hang of it...

Unread postPosted: 12 Jan 2004, 21:57
by Habu
No prob dude...you seem to have attaching images down pat. The other method is to host them remotely and link to them.