F-16 A's B's and D's... oh my!!

Here you can discuss paint schemes, kit details etc. for flying and non-flying scale models.
Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 21 Oct 2003, 08:28

As my first thread, I figured I'd announce I'm working on a trio of projects, all -16s of course. First up is the F-16A Plus Netz IDF, the newest from Hasegawa, with all the bells and whistles. Both Czech Masters and Verlinden detail sets will be used, along with an old Eduard PE set. On the back end, a Cutting Edge resin exhaust nozzle. Decals will be either stock or Aeromaster, if I can find it.

The next two will be trickier... because I don't have anything but the decal sheet for them, but the NF-16D Vista and the F-16B from good ol' Edwards AFB. The Ewards show is this weekend, so I plan of taking as many cameras as I can muster :D

<b>GregD</b>, if you know of any readily available kits of the B'd or D's PM me, or something. Thanks!

I'll update the build on here.
Thanks guys,...from the newst n00b on the board...

Gotta fly!
Skippy

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 21 Oct 2003, 14:28

Habu, you didn't state a scale but I am assuming 1:48.

The Aeromaster 1:48 Israeli sheets show up on eBay all the time - keep checking (but watch out for dtazzygirl - high prices and slow shipping - check feedback)

The Hasegawa and Italeri kits are the only two 2-seater kits available in 1:48.

Hasegawa has released B and D versions several times over the years, their kit #09466 depicts an Israeli PM IV F-16D with the 'humpback' and includes resin parts for the conversion. However this kit is hard to find and the last one I saw on eBay went for some major $$$.

The Italeri F-16B/D kit #848 is much easier to find (and cheaper) and includes parts to build a PM IV humpback but the accuracy (shape) of the 'humpback' is questionable.

There was an aftermarket 1:48 spine available at one time but I have not seen one in many years. I have seen mention of plans for a new aftermarket spine but I cannot recall where or who right now. You might check these guys out (if they are still in business): http://eagledesigns.50megs.com/home.html

Of course if you are building 1:72 there is a Hasegawa kit of the VISTA...

GregD

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 21 Oct 2003, 14:47

Found it - but they are still listed as TBA... :?

http://www.horizontech.bizland.com/cat.html

scroll down to 1:48 resin conversions...

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 21 Oct 2003, 15:59

The Hasegawa and Italeri kits are the only two 2-seater kits available in 1:48.

I forgot, the Heller 1:48 kit is a D (2-seater) but it is really the Italeri kit reboxed.

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by habu2 » 21 Oct 2003, 16:30

Bingo! PM spine available at:

http://www.meteorprod.com/cgi-bin/meteo ... +++cutting

if that doesn't work go to http://www.meteorprod.com/ and search their catalog for CEC48433

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 22 Oct 2003, 02:26

Oh yeah, I knew Cutting Edge has the spine, in fact I'm gonna check my local guy and see if he's got it in stock tis weekend. What I didn't know was that Eagle was gonna do the Vista conversion. But who onws when it'll be out. Leaves me in a quandry, do I jump the gun or not? We shall see. I'll be out at Edwards this weekend, snapping away, would you guys like to see the pics when I return? ;)

Gotta fly!
Skippy

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 05 Nov 2003, 03:37

Got the spine and the D cockpit set. Already got in my first B model, the regular Bplus model from Hasegawa. Also got the 1/72 scale VISTA. Not my usual scale, but it'll come in handy for the 1:48 conversion. I got a whole schlew of shots at Edwards a couple weekends ago, and as soon as I can get a D kit, I'm good to go. All I need for the B's is a Black Box set for the cockpit...well two if I can find them. I also have two more B models coming in. As far as the A? Well, there been some work done, check it:
Burner rings, ready for paint.
Cockpit tub, also ready for paint.
Turkey feathers, also primed and ready for paint...on the inside anyway.
Cockpit surrond, and HUD under way.

Cockpit is from Czech Masters, the burner PE parts from Eduard, cockpit surround from Verlinden, and the nozzle from Cutting Edge.
Enjoy!
Gotta fly!
Skippy
Do your homework, Tiger!

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 05 Nov 2003, 04:00

And btw... when the HELL did Hasegawa get a website? :shock:

I know that's probably WTLY, but I've been used to going to Maro Polo's website for all my Hasegawa info.

Gotta fly!
Skippy