New F-16XL kit in 1/32 scale from ATTIC

Here you can discuss paint schemes, kit details etc. for flying and non-flying scale models.
  • Author

ACMIguy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post05 Apr 2008, 01:42

New after market kit for the Meteor F-16XL (1/32 scale).
http://www.atticaircraft.com/1:32XL.shtml

The 1/72 scale seamed to have problems.

Tell me what you think of this one.

ViperEnforcer

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post06 Apr 2008, 04:24

Knowing ATTIC's sub-par quality of their regular line, one is better off fixing the problems on the Meteor conversion themselves.

The resin High AOA boom could have been a nice addition, but it was done in resin. A pitot in that length and in this scale would very susceptible to warping, in other words useless. This pitot should have been done brass or aluminum, but that’s probably beyond ATTIC’s ability. The F-16A cockpit panels are not well done and certainly not up the level of Black Box.

Plus, ATTIC did not address the lower fuselage plug being in the wrong location, nor the major panel line errors and omissions with the upper fuselage. No block 40 (heavy weight gear mod) or original block 30 wheels (Light weight gear when it rolled out) were provided. ATTIC also did address the MLG door problem, of which Meteor cut corners by adding their F-16 bulged MLG doors, which are made to fit Hasegawa and aren't even close to fitting the Tamiya kit. So in essence, it's another incomplete conversion/correction.

Also, being that ATTIC used Meteor's XL wings and upper fuselage to make the corrections and now is selling those under ATTIC’s name, it's based off of some one else's masters. This infringes on copyright issues. I for one won’t support such piracy.

Another issue that was just brought up to me by a friend, is that he's using one of my side profile photos croped, from the HABU 2 site. I think I'll be talking to this guy soon.

Mike V
If it yanks, banks, turns, and burns, Crew Chiefs made it happen!

Habu

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post06 Apr 2008, 19:12

I noticed the comment you left on the ebay listing too. The guy selling it obviously knows little about this, and claims he hasn't read anything on it. Pretty pretentious of him to state what he thinks is wrong with one conversion when he doesn't seem to know much about the aircraft in the first place.
Do your homework, Tiger!

ViperEnforcer

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Apr 2008, 10:03

Also, go to the ATTIC website and look up the XL correction. The last paragraph states:

"Now, all the above still begs the question, "Why did ATTIC go to all the trouble of issuing a correction for a kit that sold less than 100 copies?" Actually, we had already started on our own 1/32 F-16XL conversion and had announced that it would be released last summer. Then, when we heard about the Meteor project, we put ours on the shelf. When the Meteor kit came out with errors, it was a simple thing to dust off the ATTIC masters and create the corrections."

Yeah, those are original ATTIC masters alright and I'm still a regular on ARC - Yeah Right! It's clearly obvious he used Meteor's wings and upper fuselage, with moderate modifications, yet claims they are "dusted off ATTIC Masters". Unreal, and if you know who gets wind of this, he might be looking at some legal implications.

StolichnayaStrafer

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Apr 2008, 12:24

Shame on them/him- naughty, naughty! :nono:
Why is the vodka gone?
Why is the vodka always gone... oh- that's why!
Hide the vodka!!!

ACMIguy

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Apr 2008, 13:26

If you never ask, you never know thanks for the feedback guys!:thumb:

Habu

Elite 2K

Elite 2K

Unread post07 Apr 2008, 16:45

Seems like someone was trying to steal some joy!
Do your homework, Tiger!

ViperEnforcer

Forum Veteran

Forum Veteran

Unread post07 Apr 2008, 18:45

Sometimes we just need to take our modeling happiness and secure it in a lockbox. :wink:

Death to all the happiness haters! :lol:

Return to Scale Models - F-16, F-35, F/A-22, F-2