Academy new KF-16C (1/72)

Here you can discuss paint schemes, kit details etc. for flying and non-flying scale models.

by ahn » 27 Mar 2008, 10:07

ROKAF KF-16C

NSI intake, F100-PW-229 nozzle, Cartograf decal... :lol:
Attachments
0803_kf16c.jpg

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ViperEnforcer » 27 Mar 2008, 20:36

And unfortunately, a scaled down version of their 32nd Scale kit, which was all fouled up to say the least. Having seen some hi-res sprue shots, it’s very obvious the kit was pretty much “blindly” scaled down from the 32nd F-16CG/CJ, major errors and all.

The intakes have the same wrong profile and shape issue, as well as the upper wedge splitter RAM ducts are "way too shallow".

The glare shield was changed from the original 32nd thing, that was horribly shaped, but unfortunately they still got the glare shield shape wrong. This was not so much an attempt to correct the glare shield as it was modification made since the glare shield is molded to the upper fuselage.

The bulged MLG doors, wheels, brakes, vertical tail, as just as inaccurate as they are in the 32nd scale kit.

What a shame, as Academy could have corrected the major inaccuracy and shape problems that was inherent of their 32nd scale kit, but again drops the ball. The Academy 72nd F-16 has a lot more surface detailing than either Hasegawa or the Revell kit, but sadly it'll take a distant third seat behind Revell and Hasegawa.

Seriously, Tamiya needs to scale down their highly accurate 32nd or 48th F-16 down to 72nd, so there can finally be a definitive accurate 72nd F-16.

Mike V
If it yanks, banks, turns, and burns, Crew Chiefs made it happen!

by ahn » 28 Mar 2008, 01:21

Yes, Mike.

But it is the first packaged ROKAF KF-16 model kit in 1/72, and limitted edition.
I`ll get one.

It is rumored that Academy development part has only one man(!) :shock:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by ViperEnforcer » 28 Mar 2008, 03:12

It’s just irritating to that here Academy had a chance to redeem themselves from their 32nd scale botch-up and correct the major errors, thus turn out a most accurate and best F-16 in 72nd scale. Unfortunately, they just took the cheap way out and blindly scaled down the 32nd scale kit. Just sad to see an opportunity squandered like that.

ROKAF, one I want to do in 48th. If I do one in 72nd, I'll use the Academy decals on the Revell kit, similar to what I had set out to do in 48th scale. Academy/AFV did a ROKAF F-16 and I pulled the decals from it to use on a Hasegawa kit, which I will most likely now use on the new Tamiya F-16C kit.

Mike V
If it yanks, banks, turns, and burns, Crew Chiefs made it happen!

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by Habu » 28 Mar 2008, 07:56

Yeap, just as we discussed before Mike. It's a good thing I won't have to sell any of my RoG kits ;) I'll do the same, pilfer the RoKAF decals and put it on a RoG kit.
Do your homework, Tiger!