New website/forum style

What's new on F-16.net?
F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Lieven » 25 May 2006, 11:53

We are really excited to finally launch the new design for F-16.net. It took us quite a while to finnish, but we have finally been able to get it to the point where we feel good about launching it.

The new logo and graphics at the top were designed by <a href="f-16_forum_profile-mode-viewprofile-u-2914.html">Peter Van Stigt</a>.

There is still more work we want to do and we will continue to work on it over the next weeks as time permits. Meanwhile, any feedback is welcome.

The F-16.net Team
Bjorn, Jon, Asif, Jeff, J.J. Habu, Stefaan, Lieven

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by boff180 » 25 May 2006, 11:53

Hi guys, great work on the new F-16.net styling (the blue one) that appeared this morning.

I just have one point to make about it.

In firefox and IE, when on a screen bigger than 1024x768 (I'm on 1280x1024) the website is ONLY using the left two thirds of my browser.

This is fine for the website but for the forums, its squashing the threads up and making them even longer I'm afraid!

Just thought I'd let you know :)

Andy

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Stefaan » 25 May 2006, 12:31

Hey andy,

thanks for the feedback, glad you like the new layout! It took us quite some time to set it up and test it, but finally we felt it was ready for prime time :-)

First of all, I'd like to thank Peter van Stigt for designing the new logo and grapchics for the page header. We're really happy with it, so thanks Peter!

Second, all feedback is welcome - we'll be finetuning the layout in the next few weeks based on the feedback we receive.

Stefaan
Stefaan Vanhastel
F-16.net Webmaster.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Stefaan » 25 May 2006, 12:37

To answer Andy's question about the text width in the forum: We chose indeed to limit the text width to 800pixels, for two reasons:

1. main reason is to make it easier to read. There's a lot of research available that confirms short text lines are easier to read, and optimum text width is less than 800pixels (if you print an 800 pixel page, you'd fill a standard A4 or Letter page, so no coincidence there)

2. some people still use a small computer screen (800pixels). (granted, these are becoming a minority, about 20% I think)

For us, reason 1 was the most important one. most of the big sites also limit text width to make their articles easier to read.

Just wanted to explain why we did it, but as I said we'll evaluate our design based on the feedback we receive.

Thanks,

stefaan
Stefaan Vanhastel
F-16.net Webmaster.

by Ace02 » 25 May 2006, 13:22

WOW what a change! Sometimes change is a good thing and this place is no exception, it just keeps getting better and better. I really like the overall look and layout of the site. Everything is where I need it as I look around the basic page.

I do have a question about the banner ads. Their width fit the old layout but now it looks a little odd to have space on either side like that. (please pm me btw about advertising) Probably one of those things you can't fix right away but other than that... great job!

Guy

Elite 3K
Elite 3K

by Meathook » 25 May 2006, 13:22

I like it too, very nice, gives a 'fresh look" to a very cool and knowledgeable reference site - great work folks, I salute your efforts
More than likely have "been there and done that at some point", it sure keeps you young if done correctly

Elite 2K
Elite 2K

by J.J. » 25 May 2006, 13:44

Looks very nice, guys! I love the bird at right, but I can´t read the subline of the new styled F-16.net logo at left.

I checked my main topics for the new look, and I must say, the frame width is wide enough for posting pics and listings. Well done! Thank you!
:thumb:

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by PetervanStigt » 25 May 2006, 14:16

Well done guys, and thanx for the compliment. I agree on the subline below the logo, it's almost unreadable. My mistake, I guess... Since I'm always working on High Resolution I guess I can expect a blank space to the right of the header, right..?

Greetz and keep it up, Peter
'I used to be schizo, but we're doing fine now...'

Elite 1K
Elite 1K

by Guysmiley » 25 May 2006, 14:27

I like the look of the new graphics! The forum width being fixed seems like a step backwards though.

It's hard
to read
titles when
they are
crumpled
into a small
area.

Just MHO.

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by MKopack » 25 May 2006, 15:24

Wow, what a surprise as I logged on this morning. I like the new look, it's sharp and clean.

Question, over on my Lucky Devils site (http://www.lucky-devils.net) I've used the 'old' F-16.net logo as a banner/link. I'd like to update it to the 'new look'. Peter, do you think you could do up something like this? (a little better than my quickie attempt...)

I used the 'normal' sized artwork, but the forum expands it, link: http://www.lucky-devils.net/fence/testbanner.jpg

Mike Kopack
F-16A/B/C/D P&W/GE Crew Chief and Phased Maint.
56TTW/63TFTS 1987-1989
401TFW/614TFS 1989-1991

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

by Lightndattic » 25 May 2006, 15:42

I'm loving the new look at well.

One thing I have noticed is below the google ads, there's a line that says this message will disappear after I logged in as a member. I did that and it's still there.

no biggie to me, but I thought you should know.

by bozz » 25 May 2006, 15:47

Good Work guys! :o :o :D Nice to have F22/F35 sections upfront and the new look is sleek. The top graphic is ok but could be better.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Stefaan » 25 May 2006, 16:18

PetervanStigt wrote:Well done guys, and thanx for the compliment. I agree on the subline below the logo, it's almost unreadable. My mistake, I guess...

I think we scaled it down a bit too much - since I know what the tagline says, I never realized that it's actually hard to read - just looked over it. Will have to fix that!

as for high-resolution screens, I'd be interested to hear if a lot of people use their browser full-screen at really high resolution, and if they prefer to have the text fill the entire width of the screen. Personnally, I prefer shorter text lines since I find it reads easier - same reason why newspapers and magazines use multiple columns. But that's just me, so I'd like to hear it if you prefer wide-screen!

In the next few months, we will adapt some of the content to use more of the screen if you have a wider screen - the photo gallery would be an obvious example.

thanks again for all the feedback - keep posting!

stef
Stefaan Vanhastel
F-16.net Webmaster.

F-16.net Webmaster
F-16.net Webmaster

by Stefaan » 25 May 2006, 16:25

Lightndattic wrote:I'm loving the new look at well.

One thing I have noticed is below the google ads, there's a line that says this message will disappear after I logged in as a member. I did that and it's still there.

no biggie to me, but I thought you should know.

Thanks for pointing this out - I messed this one up in the new layout. It's fixed now!

stefaan
Stefaan Vanhastel
F-16.net Webmaster.

F-16.net Editor
F-16.net Editor

by Jeff » 25 May 2006, 17:35

Guys,

It looks GREAT :thumb: !!!

Thanks for all the hard work and keep it up, especially Peter :D !

Next