November 8, 2013 (by Asif Shamim) - The Defense Security Cooperation Agency notified Congress on November 8, 2013 of a possible Foreign Military Sale to Romania of weapons, equipment, and support for 12 F-16 MLU block 15 for an estimated cost of $457 million.
PoAF F-16AM similar to #15102 will be sold to Romania
The Government of Romania has requested a possible sale of weapons, equipment, and support for 12 F-16 MLU block 15
aircraft that will be procured through a third party transfer from Portugal
. Articles and services will include:
- 13 Embedded Global Positioning Systems/Inertial Navigation Systems (EGPS/INS) with GPS Security Devices, Airborne
- 3 AN/ALQ-131 Electronic Countermeasure Pods
- 30 AIM-120C Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missiles (AMRAAM)
- 5 AIM-120C Captive Air Training Missiles (CATMs)
- 60 AIM-9M Sidewinder Missiles
- 4 AIM-9M CATMs
- 48 LAU-129 Launchers
- 10 GBU-12 Enhanced Guided Bomb Units
- 18 AGM-65H/KB Maverick Missiles
- 4 AGM-65 CATMs
- 15 Multifunctional Information Distribution System/Low Volume Terminals
- 2 Multifunctional Information Distribution System Ground Support Systems
Also included are spare and repair parts, support equipment, tanker support, ferry services, repair and return services, software development/integration, test and equipment, supply support, personnel training and training equipment, publications and technical data, U.S. Government and contractor technical services, and other related elements of logistics and program support. The estimated cost is $457 million.
The proposed sale will support the Romanian Air Force’s (RoAF) efforts to equip and utilize the 12 F-16 aircraft it is procuring from Portugal. These aircraft will provide the RoAF with a fleet of modernized multi-role combat aircraft. This proposed sale of weapons, equipment, and follow-on F-16 support will enable Romania to support both its own air defense needs and coalition operations. The RoAF will have no difficultly absorbing these systems into its armed forces.
The principal contractors will be:
- Elbit Systems of America, Fort Worth, Texas
- Pratt and Whitney, East Hartford, Connecticut
- BAE Systems Inc., Arlington, Virginia
- Lockheed Martin Corp., Fort Worth, Texas
- Northrup Grumman Aerospace Systems Redondo Beach, California
- ViaSat Inc., Carlsbad, California
- Data Link Solutions LLC, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
- Snap-On Inc., Kenosha, Wisconsin
- Booz Allen Hamilton Engineering Services, LLC McLean, Virginia
Implementation of this proposed sale will not require the assignment of additional U.S. Government or contractor representatives to Romania.